OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New Texas Laws in regards to Guns

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Texas Laws in regards to Guns
    Posted: September/24/2007 at 15:11

I received this information in an e-mail, hope the majority of other states are passing similar legislation and suppressing the antis.

------------------------------------------------------------ -----------------------------

On May 28, the Texas Legislature adjourned "sine die," meaning they had no further business to conduct. For most of us, this session was marked with many new travails: unprecedented strife among the lawmakers, opposition of a type and on a scale we had never faced before, and the most ambitious legislative agenda we had ever attempted to pass. While many groups like the NRA and TSRA are happy to pass a single piece of legislation in Austin, we worked on an aggressive pro-gun legislative agenda composed of nine bills, and secured passage by the House and Senate of *eight of them!* We are pleased to let you know that all of these bills were signed into law by Governor Perry.

The new laws passed are:

•*Castle Doctrine/"Stand Your Ground" Legislation~SB 378 by Senator Jeff Wentworth (R-San Antonio)/Rep. Joe Driver (R-Garland)* This legislation puts the protection of the law where it belongs: with the law abiding, not the law breaking. If a criminal unlawfully enters or intrudes into your home, occupied vehicle, or place of business, you
can presume that he is there to cause death or great bodily harm and you may use any manner of force, including deadly force, against him. The bill also explicitly states in law that you have no "duty to retreat" from a criminal attack if you are in any place you have a right to be and you are not engaged in unlawful activity. Last, the proposal would limit the ability of criminals and their families to sue victims for killing or injuring their attackers. This was signed into law by Governor Perry, */the first bill signed into law this legislative session! It will go into effect on September 1, 2007./*

•*Emergency Powers Act Amendments~SB 112 by Senator John Carona (R-Dallas)/Rep. Frank Corte (R-San Antonio)* This law limits the powers of municipalities to seize or confiscate firearms in times of emergency. This law will ensure that Katrina-style, Mayor Nagin-inspired civilian disarmament will never happen in the Lone Star
State. */It has been signed into law by Governor Perry and went into immediate effect!/*

•*Replacement for the "Traveling" Law Passed in 2005~HB 1815 by Rep. Carl Isett (R-Lubbock)/Senator Juan "Chuy" Hinojosa (D-McAllen) Currently referred to as the "Motorists Protection Act"* In 2005, the Texas Legislature passed a bill establishing that a person is presumed to be traveling if he or she is in a private motor vehicle, is not engaged in criminal activity, is not prohibited by law from possessing a firearm, and is not a member of a criminal street gang. The clear intent was to protect law-abiding citizens' right to carry a handgun concealed for personal protection in their cars or trucks without needing a Concealed Handgun License (CHL). However, some District Attorneys in Texas have thumbed their noses at the intent of the law and have gone so far as to issue public statements that they will arrest anyone found within their jurisdictions to be carrying a handgun in his or her vehicle without a CHL. HB 1815 fixes that problem once and for all. HB 1815 includes the same safeguards and requirements passed by the 79th Legislature. However, it will no longer be an offense for Texans to have a handgun in their vehicles or vehicles under their control. */It passed unanimously in both houses of the Texas Legislature, was signed by the Governor, and goes into effect on September 1, 2007./*

•*CHL Confidentiality~HB 991 by Rep. Patrick Rose (D-Dripping Springs)/Senator Bob Deuell (R-Greenville)* The bill would prohibit access to information regarding CHL applicants and license holders, except by federal, state, and local law enforcement agencies and their employees. Twenty-six "Shall Issue" states have enacted confidentiality provisions as part of their concealed carry statutes. */This bill passed overwhelmingly in both houses and was signed by the Governor on May 23, and went into immediate effect!/*

•Possession of Handgun by a CHL on LCRA Property (Lower Colorado River Authority, SB 535 by Senator Glenn Hegar (R-Katy). This bill clarified problems in the state law that could have led to prosecutions of CHL holders on LCRA property and makes permissible the discharge of a firearm for self-defense. /It passed without opposition, was signed by Governor, and goes into effect on September 1, 2007. /

•*TSRA Specialized License Plate Language Change~HB 2045 by Rep. Larry Phillips (R-Sherman)/Senator Bob Deuell (R-Greenville)* This new law will clarify the expenditure process for thousands of dollars raised by TSRA members purchasing special organizational license plates. */It passed without opposition, was signed by the Governor, and goes into effect on September 1./*

•*Laser-sight Hunting of Texas Game Animals for Visually Handicapped Hunters~HB 308 by Rep. Edmund Kuempel (R-Seguin)/Senator Craig Estes (R-Wichita Falls)* Despite media hoopla, Texas is not passing a law to make it legal for blind people to hunt. It is currently legal for anyone with a Texas hunting license, and no handicap is excluded.
Passage of HB 308 will create a better hunting experience and more ethical shot for legally blind hunters when hunting with a sighted spotter of a certain age. */This bill passed with no opposition, other than that of radio talk show hosts, was signed into law by the Governor on June 15, and went into immediate effect./*

•*Protect Second Amendment Rights for Foster Parents~SB 322 by Senator Bob Deuell (R-Greenville)/Rep. Dan Flynn (R-Van)* The homes of foster children are regularly and thoroughly inspected for any number of hazards including storage of medicines, power tools, swimming pools, hazardous chemicals, firearms, *and even car keys!*

However, a new administrative rule developed by Texas Child Protective Services would have called for the removal of all firearms from the property of foster parents with "special needs" children. *These CPS rules would have been the most restrictive in the country, even more restrictive than those in New York or California!* This regulation would have effectively ruled that foster parents be deprived of their Second Amendment rights and the ability to protect the children in their care. CPS has been forced to return to the "safe storage" rule that has never been known to cause a death or injury to a foster child. */This bill passed overwhelmingly, was signed into law by the Governor on June 15, and went into immediate effect./*

In addition to passing these bills, we succeeded in stopping (in their tracks) bills that would have mandated the following:

* An end to gun shows in Texas as we know them (HB 594, by Yvonne Davis of Dallas)
* A smorgasbord of anti-gun favorites rolled into one: one-gun-a-month, DPS registration, waiting period, and an end to private transfers (HB 595, also by Yvonne Davis of Dallas). */This bill actually would have required DPS approval for every handgun sale by a dealer OR individual in the State of Texas!/*

As you can see, the pro-freedom forces did very well in Austin during the 140 days of the 80th Legislative Session! But we need to look forward to the 81st session, which begins in January of 2009. In the time in between, we will be examining laws that still need changing in interim studies by the Legislature. We will be evaluating candidates of both major parties for their support of our rights. And finally, we will ensure another victorious session in 2009. This is where we need your help. Every year, we face tougher, better-funded, and more-sophisticated opposition. Despite their funding,

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2007 at 17:13
Great news!  Compared to other states, Texas is a great place to live for gun owners!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2007 at 07:11

I'm moving to Texas! 

Good for ya'll!!  

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2007 at 08:50
[QUOTE=Chris Farris]

I received this information in an e-mail, hope the majority of other states are passing similar legislation and suppressing the antis.

The new laws passed are:

•*Castle Doctrine/"Stand Your Ground" Legislation~SB 378 by Senator Jeff Wentworth (R-San Antonio)/Rep. Joe Driver (R-Garland)* This legislation puts the protection of the law where it belongs: with the law abiding, not the law breaking. If a criminal unlawfully enters or intrudes into your home, occupied vehicle, or place of business, you
can presume that he is there to cause death or great bodily harm and you may use any manner of force, including deadly force, against him. The bill also explicitly states in law that you have no "duty to retreat" from a criminal attack if you are in any place you have a right to be and you are not engaged in unlawful activity. Last, the proposal would limit the ability of criminals and their families to sue victims for killing or injuring their attackers. This was signed into law by Governor Perry, */the first bill signed into law this legislative session! It will go into effect on September 1, 2007./*

Please pretty please, can some-one from your sensible country get the rest of the world, and particularly our lawless criminal friendly South Africa, to pass the same law!!! Please!!!

Edited by 8shots
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2007 at 13:01
Gotta send that list to my member of parliment to show him how things should be in a commen sense world.  This 'nanny' state mentality is ridiculous.
God save the Empire!
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2007 at 17:32
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

I'm moving to Texas! 

Good for ya'll!!  

I'll have some beers iced down waiting on ya!  You already have the "y'all" part down and a demonstrated ability to bullsh!*, so you should be able to readily adapt to the culture.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2007 at 19:41

Thanks for the invite, Ted.

Actually, I'm a big fan of the Lone Star state. I spent some time in Amarillo, Lubbock, and my favorite Texas venue....El Paso!!!

(Juarez wasn't bad either.)   

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2007 at 20:41
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

I'm moving to Texas! 

Good for ya'll!!  

I'll have some beers iced down waiting on ya!  You already have the "y'all" part down and a demonstrated ability to bullsh!*, so you should be able to readily adapt to the culture.

i wont wear a cowboy hat boots or belt buckle, am i still welcome?

They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2007 at 22:12
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

I'm moving to Texas! 

Good for ya'll!!  

i wont wear a cowboy hat boots or belt buckle, am i still welcome?

Of course, you're as welcome as a brand new .270 in the gun safe!

Ted

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2007 at 20:57
i will bring some beer and lots of ammo
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2007 at 11:05

I wish I were in the land of cotton .....

(but not till after deer season )

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2007 at 20:24

Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

i will bring some beer and lots of ammo

Any time, friend!  One of these days, some time, somewhere, one way or the other, you and I are going to meet up for a hunt.  We just gotta convince Mark to come along as well.

Ted

cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2007 at 09:47

I'll bet the Brady folks are having a screaming slobbering wetting their pants S**t fit over this. Great news for you Texicans.

If we could get other conservative states on that bandwagon, we'd have it made.

Course it ain't bad here in Georgia. Brady gives us a D, I'm hoping for an F sometime soon.

With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic