OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Hammers Rifle scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2010 at 18:03
 I happened to run across a Hammers 4.5-18 (?) x 50 for the first time the day before yesterday, at our local range. A young fella had it on an AR and let me run a few shots through it. It worked okay to a point, optically so-so at best. "Tactical" turrets were capped and finger-adjustable. They felt delicate and rough at the same time. The scope tracked rather jerkily around the target during sight-in. 
  It had an illuminated reticle. I could see a red glow on the reticle during full daylight, and it heavily favored the left side of the reticle when lit. I didn't get a chance to look at it at night. By then I really didn't care to, anyway.

There was nothing impressive about this scope at all, except perhaps its' size.

Koshkin's comments are spot-on, as far as I'm concerned.

Expensive junk.

Kellyorchard44 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellyorchard44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2012 at 00:19
This is an old post.

However I have this 8-32 50 tactical scope. It is a great scope for the price. I have taken several animals with it shot over 400 yards. At 200 yards I have grouping of 1-1/4. Is it as good as the Leopold or night force high scopes no it is not. But at long distances I can see my target very well.

I have 4 hunts this year in Utah,Wyoming and Nevada and all 4 hunts I will be using the Hammer scope with confidence.
CRaTXn View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRaTXn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2012 at 17:35
Kellyorchard44 Sir,
If you are going to the trouble to hunt in multiple states for multiple big game animals...you are going to come onto situations where animals either just appear close in or you or they come out of cover right on top of each other.  Carrying a scope thats lowest power is 8X could very easily mean a lost opportunity or worse a wounded animal. 4X is about as high a low end on a variable powered scope as experience would recommend i.e. 4xv14.5x but a 3xv9x will kill to 500-600yards easily and 50 or 60 as well.
Somewhere Between Ignorance & Arrogance, CR
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2012 at 17:46
Originally posted by Kellyorchard44 Kellyorchard44 wrote:

This is an old post.

However I have this 8-32 50 tactical scope. It is a great scope for the price. I have taken several animals with it shot over 400 yards. At 200 yards I have grouping of 1-1/4. Is it as good as the Leopold or night force high scopes no it is not. But at long distances I can see my target very well.

I have 4 hunts this year in Utah,Wyoming and Nevada and all 4 hunts I will be using the Hammer scope with confidence.

POST # 1

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2012 at 17:56
You got to love how Everyone was a SNIPER in Iraq and Afghanistan.Whacko  I had a soldier tell me he was, and I actually believed him, all the way up until I range qualified next to him, and he slid in with only 80% of his shots on the paper. OOPS  

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Opus Dei View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Dei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2012 at 21:50
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

You got to love how Everyone was a SNIPER in Iraq and Afghanistan.Whacko  I had a soldier tell me he was, and I actually believed him, all the way up until I range qualified next to him, and he slid in with only 80% of his shots on the paper. OOPS  
Hell, you should've known better. Now, if they told you "I'd have to kill you if I told you what I did ...". Roll Eyes Big Grin
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellyorchard44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2012 at 13:21
In September I wrote about hammer Scopes. I would like to retract my comments. Hammer scopes suck. I have since bought a new huskemaw scoped and shot a nice buck at 515 yards. Dont waste your money on hammer Scopes.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2012 at 13:49
He'll be back again!  Mouth Taped Shut
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2012 at 14:28

In September I wrote about hammer Scopes. I would like to retract my comments. Hammer scopes suck. I have since bought a new huskemaw scoped and shot a nice buck at 515 yards. Dont waste your money on hammer Scopes.
Started with junk and you still got it.  Huskemaw is right there with counter sniper and hammer and the other chinacom crap
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2012 at 17:17

Ishot a nice buck at 515 yards.

Wow that is more than impressive.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellyorchard44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2012 at 23:34
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

[QUOTE=Kellyorchard44]In September I wrote about hammer Scopes. I would like to retract my comments. Hammer scopes suck. I have since bought a new huskemaw scoped and shot a nice buck at 515 yards. Dont waste your money on hammer Scopes.[/tQUOTE]

Started with junk and you still got it.  Huskemaw is right there with counter sniper and hammer and the other chinacom crap

Lol!!! Your funny. What's the longest shot you have ever made on big game? I have seen more long shots with huskemaw Scopesthen nightforce scopes. At 1000 yards i have great groupings with my new huskemaw
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2012 at 07:50
This is not a pissing match.  Point is that huskemaw charges for their name and to pay for TV time, not for good scopes.  The few I've seen have all been on the injured reserve list so to speak.  There are much better options for the same money that will out perform in both glass and mechanics.   Shooting game animals at extreme distances is not just going and buying a scope they use on TV and doing it, thats unethical.  If you don't have thousands of rounds downrange at those distances and are not 100% confident that you can 100% hit your mark cleanly your don't have business shooting game at long ranges.  But hey they do it on TV so people will watch and think it will make them able to do the same.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2012 at 08:26
We still have another week till deer season. I never realized Utah had such early hunting seasons Congratulations. That was a lot longer shot than I would have ever attempted for a deer.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellyorchard44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2012 at 09:26
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

This is not a pissing match.  Point is that huskemaw charges for their name and to pay for TV time, not for good scopes.  The few I've seen have all been on the injured reserve list so to speak.  There are much better options for the same money that will out perform in both glass and mechanics.   Shooting game animals at extreme distances is not just going and buying a scope they use on TV and doing it, thats unethical.  If you don't have thousands of rounds downrange at those distances and are not 100% confident that you can 100% hit your mark cleanly your don't have business shooting game at long ranges.  But hey they do it on TV so people will watch and think it will make them able to do the same.

I agree shooting game at long distances is more then just buying a scope. However, I have used Nikons and swarovski and I thought their performance was was extremely poor. I think Nightforce is a great scope. I have seen my uncle shoot 2 nice elk 1 at 634 yards and 1 at 879 yards. One elk scoring over 385 in the boner crocket. But I don't want to pay over $2000 for a scope. When I have a dozen close friends and family who all shoot Huskemaw scopes. That the performance is amazing. So for me going with Huskemaw has nothing to do with TV. I have gone with Huskemaw because it has only outperformed every other scope I have seen shot.I can recall one TV show I have seen in the last 2 years that they were shooting long-range with a Huskemaw
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2012 at 09:53
BS Flag
Swaro poor but Huskemaw great.

This thread went from sad to useless just that quick.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellyorchard44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2012 at 10:06

http://opticstalk.com/smileys/Clap.gif
I agree it went to complete useless

Because you have never used a huskemaw scope in the field you only talk about what you have heard. Unless you have actually used it keep thinking what you want.

dillon_h View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Staff
TEAM SWFA - Staff
Woody

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon_h Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2012 at 10:52
Just spoke with a Husemaw rep on this matter. I just wanted to get good solid info directly from the manufacture.

This was his response to my question, "Where are you scopes manufactured?"

Rep: "They are manufactured in the same place as Nightforce, Swarovski, Zeiss and other high end Japanese scopes."

Me: "So you have high-end Japanese glass just like Swarovski and Zeiss?"

Rep: "Yes."

Whacko
I needed a good laugh today.
Dillon@SWFA.com
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2012 at 11:04
Its like the countersniper people, just plain ole ignorant.

Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2012 at 11:08

At 1000 yards i have great groupings with my new huskemaw

So what is a great grouping?
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2012 at 11:12
And are the groupings any different with another scope at 1000yds?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic