OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Hammers Rifle scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpslusser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hammers Rifle scope
    Posted: September/21/2007 at 22:31
I have never heard of Hammers rifle scopes.

Its a nice scope with a nice price tag. 8-32x56mm Illuminated glass etched reticles, side parallax adjustment, brightness control. All for around $190.00

Does anyone have any information on this Mfg.?

I wana know how good...or how bad they are. I need to upgrade from the 3-9x40 bushnell (Came with the Remington 710)

Any suggestions, by the way, for new scope? But around 200$ price range? I only use the rifle for hunting, 200-300 yard max range.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2007 at 23:51
I am not familiar with the Hammers scope, but I suspect it is yet another chicom crap.  I'll take a closer look if I ever run into them.

For $200, you can get Sightron S2 3-9x42 which is a very nice Japanese scope.

ILya
dpslusser View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpslusser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2007 at 08:37
I did find more information. I guess the scope does suck pretty bad. Theres another web site that stated the same thing about Hammers. If you can't even find abundant web site information, something has to be wrong. I did happen to find a yahoo web site with information though.

http://hammersbinoculars.stores.yahoo.net/ha8tari.html

Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

I am not familiar with the Hammers scope, but I suspect it is yet another chicom crap.  I'll take a closer look if I ever run into them.

For $200, you can get Sightron S2 3-9x42 which is a very nice Japanese scope.

ILya
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2007 at 12:18
In all fairness, I have not seen the scope.  However, with optics, by and large, you get what you pay for.  While there are some better deals out there, I have yet to see a decent high magnification scope under $200.  Even then, if they spent most of their money trying to put in as many bells and whistles as they can, it is likely that the basics (glass and mechanics) were compromised.

ILya
xanadu View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xanadu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2007 at 09:40
 Mueller makes a darn good scope for around $200 - $250.00 ! Crisp clear optics and have been using one for almost 2 years on my 30-06 and not one problem. Always zeroed to the kill point and my 06 hammers that baby ! And the illumination DOES NOT BLURR OUT like some IR scopes ..... even Leupold's IR has some bleeding .... but not the Mueller .... probably because they don't illuminate the whole rectile .
Been There Done That !!!!!!
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2007 at 10:21

Originally posted by xanadu xanadu wrote:

Mueller makes a darn good scope for around $200 - $250.00 ! Crisp clear optics and have been using one for almost 2 years on my 30-06 and not one problem. Always zeroed to the kill point and my 06 hammers that baby ! And the illumination DOES NOT BLURR OUT like some IR scopes ..... even Leupold's IR has some bleeding .... but not the Mueller .... probably because they don't illuminate the whole rectile .

This is what is sometimes referred to as " rectile dysfunction". Trust me, you don't want THAT !!!  

( Sorry, xanadu, I just couldn't resist! )

cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2007 at 11:37
Take Koskins advice, Stay clear of that one.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2007 at 05:59

Agreed it sounds like another made in Chi junk.  In the world of optics you can get a pretty decent scope for $200 in a standard 3-9 magnification range which is usually fine for big game hunting.  Burris Fullfield, Nikon Buckmaster, Sightron SII, Pentax, Bushnell 3200 all are light years better then some of the Chi junk out there and at times right aroud the same price.

I have a Mueller 4-16 scope it is nice especially for what it is. However, I would not put it in the same class as entry level good glass such as those listed above. The glass is pretty good on nice clear days but when it comes to later in the evenings the others will pull in more light and give better low light performance and do it with a smaller objective.  I am happy with the scope I'd say that it is still better then a Simmons or Tasco but not in the same league as some other major entry level brands.

If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2007 at 07:53
PLEASE STEER CLEAR OF IT. I wouldn't want to put my life in the hands of someone using this piece of equipment.

Cyborg
vitruvianjp View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vitruvianjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2010 at 22:16
OK! It is real funny how all of the chatters here state that they know nothing about Hammers scopes, the quality, the manufacturer or any good web site discussing the scope. However, they all are pretty sure the scope is little to be desired. I personally know of an individual that has a 8-32x56 mounted on a AR 50 and on a savage 10-Bas k. From the savage, he has fire over 500 rounds at a distance of 600 meters and he has very nice groups. As for the AR 50 He has confirmed target eliminations in Afghanistan with it. I personally have just purchased the same scope and have mounted it on a Savage 300 win mag. I am impressed with the quality and clarity of the scope regardless of the manufacturer or the lack of web sites availability.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2010 at 23:52
Good for you...... I hope you enjoy the scope. More so I hope it never goes south when someone elses life depends on his or your equipment.

God speed.

Cyborg
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2010 at 00:07
Originally posted by vitruvianjp vitruvianjp wrote:

OK! It is real funny how all of the chatters here state that they know nothing about Hammers scopes, the quality, the manufacturer or any good web site discussing the scope. However, they all are pretty sure the scope is little to be desired. I personally know of an individual that has a 8-32x56 mounted on a AR 50 and on a savage 10-Bas k. From the savage, he has fire over 500 rounds at a distance of 600 meters and he has very nice groups. As for the AR 50 He has confirmed target eliminations in Afghanistan with it. I personally have just purchased the same scope and have mounted it on a Savage 300 win mag. I am impressed with the quality and clarity of the scope regardless of the manufacturer or the lack of web sites availability.
Question

Sorry but that is a bit much for me to believe if you are saying he took his own rifle and scope to Afghanistan.  The issue guns in 50 are Barretts and more often than not they have Schmidt Bender scopes on them at least ours do.  Canadians are running some Nightforce topped McMillan 50s.    The AR50 is a single shot so not the best choice.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
vitruvianjp View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vitruvianjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2010 at 01:04
He is not military. He is a private contractor. And yes it might be to much for some to believe however, it has been done. I myself would not have bought one had this person not own one. The point that i wanted to make it put one through the test and come to your own decesion. Especially at the price of the scope.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2010 at 04:13
Well, this thread was from two and a half years ago.  Since then I did run into a Hammers scope once at the range and I was decidedly unimpressed.

My original point still stands.  I am not aware of any high magnification scope for two hundred dollars that is worth buying.

ILya
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2010 at 04:52

The point that i wanted to make it put one through the test and come to your own decesion. Especially at the price of the scope.

Welcome to Optics Talk.

Your "point", is noted however.....
Unlike some other forums, we here don't feel the need to "buy and evaluate" each and every 200 dollar, whiz bang, often "tactical"Roll Eyes optic that comes down the pipe, just to give it a once over to form an opinion. This forum has seen it's fair share of Chicom optics that promise SO much, but deliver so little.

I like to put it like this....I've never had the clap either, but I don't need to contract it to determine if I want it or not.  Wink

As His Darkness has stated, low dollar, high mag scopes are typically not worth the trouble.
Folks come to this forum to get expert optics advise from this forum, and we generally try to put the people on something that WE trust will work for them.   

Regards and Godspeed to your contractor friend in Astan.
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2010 at 07:29
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

The point that i wanted to make it put one through the test and come to your own decesion. Especially at the price of the scope.

Welcome to Optics Talk.

Your "point", is noted however.....
Unlike some other forums, we here don't feel the need to "buy and evaluate" each and every 200 dollar, whiz bang, often "tactical"Roll Eyes optic that comes down the pipe, just to give it a once over to form an opinion. This forum has seen it's fair share of Chicom optics that promise SO much, but deliver so little.

I like to put it like this....I've never had the clap either, but I don't need to contract it to determine if I want it or not.  Wink

As His Darkness has stated, low dollar, high mag scopes are typically not worth the trouble.
Folks come to this forum to get expert optics advise from this forum, and we generally try to put the people on something that WE trust will work for them.   

Regards and Godspeed to your contractor friend in Astan.

ROFLMAO
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2010 at 11:02
Thank you Ilya..Bow.. I was looking for a nice way to say "that scope make sucks" without actually saying it that way. I almost made a comment about that scope being "less than a Barfska"  Eek

Alas I was tired, it was late, and all that thinking gave me a headache. Hammer

The "Never had the clap either" comment is great....Laugh

Cyborg
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2010 at 11:18
Funny how the new claim to fame for a no-name scope is contractors in Iraq of Afghanistan - but no name for the contractor, company, or any details at all.

The real shooters I know, "contractor" and military, are very good, know good gear, and know crap gear.

I call BS on the "I know a secret squirrel sniper ninja who uses one and so I do too" thing.

Details, verifiable details will tell the whole story.

BS FlagBS FlagBS FlagBS FlagBS FlagBS FlagBS FlagBS FlagBS Flag
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2010 at 11:22
Blue illumination?
one-inch tube?

Looks like a runner-up to Countersniper optics' "best scope no one wants to use" award.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2010 at 11:32
Laugh Above
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic