OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

IOR SH 3-18x42 FFP scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IOR SH 3-18x42 FFP scope
    Posted: September/20/2007 at 17:38
First, a brief summary: this scope rocks!

Optical quality is excellent as seems to be the norm with IOR. All the recent IOR scopes I have seen were very good. I can resolve detail with it very nicely. I do not think it is quite as good as S&B et al, but it is close enough that I can only see the difference if I look for it.

Mechanically, the scope seems very well built. I abused the adjustments a little to see how they hold up and they hold up very well. I did a few different box tests in the center of the adjustment range and closer to the edges of it (by shimming the claws of the rings I move the POA for this test), and all worked fine. The scope, for now, is mounted on a pretty accurate 22-250, so I do not know how it withstands recoil (and likely never will since it will end up on nothing bigger than a 308).

The snipershide designed reticle is excellent. I much prefer FFP reticles in tactical scopes and this is a pretty good execution. I wonder what are the chances of getting this reticle in a more compact platform like 2.5-10x42, as well.  I certainly prefer this reticle to the standard MP-8 in a FFP scope.

I am used to the floating center point, which allows precise aiming, and those thick bars make the reticle pretty visible in low light. I played with the scope at night and I could see the reticle pretty well despite it not being illuminated.

YMMV

ILya

Picture of the reticle design:

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2007 at 18:00

Thanks for the review, koshkin.

How much elevation adjustment that unit got in it?

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2007 at 19:58
It is 70MOA, although I did not bother to count the exact number of clicks.  The clicks are 0.1 mil.

I generally try to use the reticle for holdover as much as I can, rather than click.

ILya
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2007 at 20:52

That reticle is quite similar to the excellent MP8, but with a few refinements added for the benefit of those with the expertise to make use of them. Should work very well. Thanks for the summary, Koshkin!

Incidently, if you live in farming country, you can simulate heavy recoil in a light- kicking rifle by dropping the rig butt-first from the top of a silo. (Be sure to clear the weapon first.)

Will await further testing...

Ron

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2007 at 21:01
Thanks for the advise, Ron.

Thankfully, I live sufficiently far from farming country to comfortably avoid dropping my rifle from any sort of a silo.

ILya
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2007 at 21:07
off the topic and in defense of silos, they make great opportunities for some of the best wing shooting, feral pigeon hunting there is,--- and great places to store missles.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2007 at 21:16
I am pretty sure we have the missile storing ones not too far away, but I suspect I might have some difficulties trying to approach one with a rifle in hand.  Explaining that to the guards might be a little involved.

ILya
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2007 at 21:22
tell them your pigeon hunting (pigeon contractor from blackwater) , but if they want to keep all and get more of that pigeon droppings, you'll just go where your appreciated, and if they get polioviriobronchio pneumonia from it not to call.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2007 at 21:30
Sounds like a great plan.  I'll let you know how it goes.

In the meantime, imagine a fairly burly 260lb, Mediterranean looking guy, with a beard and a strange accent heading over toward a missile silo with a rifle in hand.

Once you imagine that, imagine me trying to go through airport security.  I have to get there four hours in advance.

ILya
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2007 at 21:47
Great review ILya. This scope looks great, heck of a deal for a scope of this quality and features.
ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2007 at 06:30
Thanks for the review Ilya.  Sounds like you got a keeper!
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2007 at 08:24

Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Sounds like a great plan.  I'll let you know how it goes.

In the meantime, imagine a fairly burly 260lb, Mediterranean looking guy, with a beard and a strange accent heading over toward a missile silo with a rifle in hand.

Once you imagine that, imagine me trying to go through airport security.  I have to get there four hours in advance.

ILya

Better wear your   (Super Sniper YAMICA  with the new camel in the crosshairs like a rock river ball cap and wording "I'd walk a mile to smoke a Camel")   to reassure them youre on  TEAM  SWFA.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2007 at 08:33
I'm really interested in how you think that scope would hold up long term - is it combat ready - tough enough?

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2007 at 10:54
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

I'm really interested in how you think that scope would hold up long term - is it combat ready - tough enough?

It seems well built and I have had enough experience with IOR to have a lot of confidence in its toughness.  However, ultimately, I am not gong to go and try to destroy a pretty expensive scope in order to figure out how tough it is.  Unfortunately, if you really want to know how tough the thing is you have to either use for many years or destroy it.  I'll go with the first approach.

On a side note, did you mean "yarmolka"?

ILya
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2007 at 07:28

Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

[QUOTE= ...

On a side note, did you mean "yarmolka"?

ILya

I dont know how to spell it yarmulke may be http://www.jewishbride.com/store/yarmulke.html

but I just have this mental image of yours  having on it in bold letters across the top   T E A M   S. W. F. A.   Optics Master

and on the bottom the line reads "I'd walk a mile to smoke a camel"

in the middle there would be a camel with red mil dot cross hairs  kind of like a rock river ball cap.

http://www.rockriverarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=CL0102X& storeid=1&image=rrlogcl.gif&CFID=2640139&CFTOKEN =43281098

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2007 at 07:40
Did you mean: matzo ball soup       OH YEA THIS STUFF IS AWESOME

WEB RESULTS

1. But what I definitely improved was the matzo ball. ... protein from the matzo balls will murk up your nice clear soup, ruin its appearance. ...
    www.jewishmag.com/39MAG/soup/soup.htm - 21k - Cached
  2. ... in the Passover Seder meal as the matza balls in the famed matza ball soup. ... However, do not add the matza balls to the soup until a half hour before serving. ...
    www.jewishmag.com/66mag/matzaballs/matzaballs.htm - 12k - Cached
  3. Matzah Ball Soup is a hit in my family during Passover and all year long. ... Chicken Soup with Matza Balls. Lisa Katz. At a Glance. Course : Soup ...
    judaism.about.com/od/passoverrecipes/r/soup_matzahball.htm - 21k - Cached
  4. Matza Ball soup Recipe | Recipezaar - A dumpling to die for Recipezaar: Where the World's Recipes Are ... Remove matza balls with slotted spoon (gently), set aside. ...
    www.recipezaar.com/65214 - 33k - Cached
  5. Matzoh Ball Soup is a distinctive collection of personal stories, poems and ... Matzoh ball soup is an evocative symbol in the Jewish community that conjures ...
    www.matzohballsoup.com - 45k - Cached
  6. Matza Balls or Soup Dumplings (Knaidlach) Recipe | Recipezaar - These are usually served in a clear broth, but can be used as a side dish with meats or fish. ...

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2007 at 13:21
That's an interesting yarmolka design (if yarmolka is too complicated you can also call it a kipa, pronounced "keepa").

What does matzo ball soup have to do with it though?

ILya
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2007 at 18:25

I had the 70th of 70 scoped made for this run and liked it - though I liked something else more.  I found a   guy with a USO SN3 and he wanted to swap it for my IOR SH.  My complaints of the IOR were a few.  I sold it to a guy with full disclosure.

At this point, a few of the new scopes have failed in the same manner: power adjustment and focus failed in a catastrophic way.  This really bothered me.  Though only 2 have verifyably failed at the moment, that is 2 of 70, and I'm guessing several of the 70 have yet to experience recoil.

If mounting the scope on a long-action; be advised the rear ring has a very limited mounting length.  if it goes on a .308, you'll be fine; if it goes on a 300WM, you'll want more eye relief and you

ll be goose-necking each shot.

The glass is good, very good; I really liked the glass.  The adjustments were pretty good, I wished the elevation turret were as stiff as the windage turret.

Overall, for $1,300, it is a good scope - and if you can deal with the few issues, it is well worth the money.  For me, the IOR is gone and a USO SN3 now takes its place.  I am happy!

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic