OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

MOA scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam132601 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MOA scope
    Posted: September/20/2007 at 10:32

What scope manufacturers, besides NightForce, make a scope reticle marked in MOA?  I have been searching and just can't seem to find any!

I understand that mil dots are equal to a certain ammount of MOA at a given distance.  I mean a reticle actually marked in whole MOA increments (1, 2, etc...)

Thanks!!

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2007 at 10:36

US Optics.......

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2007 at 11:29

Eotech

Leo SPR in 1.5x5

Adam132601 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam132601 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2007 at 20:12

Anyone know of any companies that produce more of a "budget" unit that is MOA marked? 

Out of the Nightforce and USO the Nightforce is far superior in my opinion in terms of ability to hold over to longer distances.  That said, no $ for either right now. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2007 at 06:18
Originally posted by Adam132601 Adam132601 wrote:

Out of the Nightforce and USO the Nightforce is far superior in my opinion in terms of ability to hold over to longer distances. 

Have you ever actually used a USO with the MOA reticle??

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam132601 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2007 at 09:31

I have not used any of the U.S. Optics reticles. 

I formed my opinion based on their online photos that show the detals of each.  A reticle essentially looks the same through a scope as it does in a depiction, as long as it is to scale.   In my opinion the USO options have too much going on.  The numbers printed on it, as well as 40 or 80 MOA vertical markings is just more than I need to get out to 1000y and not be too busy looking.  That is somehting I have only done a bunch of times in the first place.  I wonder how may of people that say they want 1000y capabilities have ever shot that far.  The one with 40 MOA has it all below the crosshair, and the ones with 80 are just overkill.   If the 40 MOA scale was adjusted so there were 10 above and 30 below, or 20 and 20 that would keep you more "centered" for more shots.  Which is a personal preference of mine, it just feels better to me to be more centered.

The NF just looks and "feels" neater to me.  Based on the kind of shooting that I do, the fact that more shots are around the center of the crossharis, and the lack of "clutter"(a relative term) the NF NP-R2 is a far superior reticle, in my opinion.  Then again everyone has differnt opinions and that is why they make so many products. 

Or for that matter why there are so many college football teams.  Everyone is entitled to who they think is the best team, but only the Gator fans are right. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2007 at 09:42

Or for that matter why there are so many college football teams.  Everyone is entitled to who they think is the best team, but only the Gator fans are right. 

Something we can agree on!!!  

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam132601 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2007 at 10:14

Do you prefer one of the other reticles?

Hopefully we'll improve our record in the state of MS to better than 0-3!!  I think that is the only stat I have recently seen on the Gators that is negative.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2007 at 11:10

I have not used any of the U.S. Optics reticles. 

I formed my opinion based on their online photos that show the detals of each.  A reticle essentially looks the same through a scope as it does in a depiction, as long as it is to scale.   In my opinion the USO options have too much going on.  The numbers printed on it, as well as 40 or 80 MOA vertical markings is just more than I need to get out to 1000y and not be too busy looking.  That is somehting I have only done a bunch of times in the first place.  I wonder how may of people that say they want 1000y capabilities have ever shot that far.  The one with 40 MOA has it all below the crosshair, and the ones with 80 are just overkill.   If the 40 MOA scale was adjusted so there were 10 above and 30 below, or 20 and 20 that would keep you more "centered" for more shots.  Which is a personal preference of mine, it just feels better to me to be more centered.

The NF just looks and "feels" neater to me.  Based on the kind of shooting that I do, the fact that more shots are around the center of the crossharis, and the lack of "clutter"(a relative term) the NF NP-R2 is a far superior reticle, in my opinion.  Then again everyone has differnt opinions and that is why they make so many products. 

You may very well be right about the reticle, but I found that a lot of reticles that look busy on paper to me are perfectly fine in use.

Just an observation.

ILya

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2007 at 11:11
Oh, and as a side not, I much prefer reticle and knobs in mils to the ones in MOA.  Once again, just a personal preference.

ILya

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2007 at 11:42

I had a USO SN-3 with a MOA reticle. I found the reticle to be user friendly and not real busy at all, but that's me.

I'm more of a clicker any way....

EDIT TO ADD:

If I were you I'd head over to Sniper's Hide and see what reticle those guys like these days.

Some of the regulars over there are very knowledgeable and can help you.

Edited by cheaptrick
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic