OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold MK 2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote army_eod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold MK 2
    Posted: September/18/2007 at 05:16

I ask again; does anyone own one of the MK-2 Tacticals?

Are they worth a darn?

Are they in the same league with Burris FF II Tacticals?

Are they really VX II scopes with tgt knobs?  That is, VX II quality glass. 

Princes and governments are far more dangerous than other elements within society.

Niccolo Machiavelli
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2007 at 06:47
army_eod View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote army_eod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2007 at 09:43

Yall..just answered my own question.  The MK-2 uses VX II glass.  It is a modified VX II. 

I asked what the diff was between a customized VX III and a MK 4.  The tech rep said the MK-4 is built tougher than the VX III.  So I would assume the MK-2 is "tougher" than a VX II.

You can basically customize a VX III to make it a MK-4, except for the "toughness" of course.  It would cost $200.00 less than the MK-4.

Example: You can take the VX III 2.5-8 variable, slap MK-1 turrets on it, TMR reticle and it costs about 725.00.  Comparable MK-4 is about 925.00

I didn't want the tech rep to explain details of toughness.  Maybe I will ask later.

Princes and governments are far more dangerous than other elements within society.

Niccolo Machiavelli
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2007 at 10:08
I would assume that tougher means thicker tube as well??
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2007 at 10:50

there is only 2 oz different between 3 with target turrets and mk 4, 4 have diamond coating, not sure on the 3's but I disagree with the conclusions;

1) if they are the same then the 3s make a hell of a good tactical scope for the money

2) the Mk 4 makes an even better varmit scope with the TMR

3) mk 4 good tactical scope if looking for smaller -- lighter in any catagory

4) best glass in world means nothing if tracking system is off-- mk 4, have LE and military history (to say nothing of benchrest and competitive event shooting) assuming the Mk4 has the vx-l springs and diamond coat. would be worth the extra (if one is making a one to one correlation between item and price).

5) pricing is low compared to top flight tacticals.

army_eod View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote army_eod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2007 at 11:01
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

there is only 2 oz different between 3 with target turrets and mk 4, 4 have diamond coating, not sure on the 3's but I disagree with the conclusions;

1) if they are the same then the 3s make a hell of a good tactical scope for the money

2) the Mk 4 makes an even better varmit scope with the TMR

3) mk 4 good tactical scope if looking for smaller -- lighter in any catagory

4) best glass in world means nothing if tracking system is off-- mk 4, have LE and military history (to say nothing of benchrest and competitive event shooting) assuming the Mk4 has the vx-l springs and diamond coat. would be worth the extra (if one is making a one to one correlation between item and price).

5) pricing is low compared to top flight tacticals.

Not sure where you are going with this commentary but if a person didn't need the toughness??? of the MK-4 they could still build a similar scope for less than the MK-4.  Bottom line.

I got all my info from Leupold today.  As I said I didn't ask what constituted "tougher."

Personally, I discovered as active military I get a discount on scopes from Leupold.  If I were buying a scope for tactical purposes , I will go with a MK-4.

Niccolo Machiavelli
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2007 at 11:21

the subject material covers several posts from different forums,

of the MK-4 they could still build a similar scope for less than the MK-4.  Bottom line. assumes the diamond coating and springs comes with the vx3----- which they don't.

army_eod View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote army_eod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2007 at 12:02
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

the subject material covers several posts from different forums,

of the MK-4 they could still build a similar scope for less than the MK-4.  Bottom line. assumes the diamond coating and springs comes with the vx3----- which they don't.

Dale..now I understand.  So I would assume that the MK-2 would be tougher than the VX II in the same way as the MK-4 is tougher than the VX III.

But I wonder how much better the MK-2 is than, say, the Burris FF II Tactical?  I owned one and it was a fair scope.  The turrets sucked, tho.

Niccolo Machiavelli
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2007 at 12:37

yea same analogy

had a 3x12 burris and an ff II 3x9 BDC, the turrets on the 3x12 a compact target sucked as and the 3x9 was mediocre, but the Petzval, (mirror distortion on panning) was really bad with both.

used a 2x7 leo compact on everything from 22, FN FAL thru my big game gun (416) for 15 years not the greatest glass but one tough little scope. sure better stuff out now -- but still----

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic