OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Fullfield II or Monarch UCC for $65 more?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corjamwel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fullfield II or Monarch UCC for $65 more?
    Posted: September/17/2007 at 16:03
I am having a hard time deciding whether or not it is worth the extra $65 for a Nikon Monarch UCC 3-9x40. I can get a Burris Fullfield II on ebay for $165 including shipping, and the Monarch on this site for roughly $65 more (including shipping as well). Mind you this scope would be going on a under $300 rifle. Please give some opinions and/or suggestions. Thank you.

Edited by corjamwel
GURU View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GURU Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2007 at 16:15
i would buy the nikon monarch  over the burris, i have had both and the nikon seems to have much better glass.some of the higher end burris scopes are nice , but the fullfield 2 is more in line with the nikon prostaff or buckmaster. i used to be a big fan of burris and pentax until i had 3 bad pentax scopes in a row .
chazgreen View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chazgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2007 at 16:21
Buy the Monarch, don't even hesitate. I just put a 3.5-10x50 on my 25-06 and it puts my burris SELECT to shame, let alone a lesser Fulfield. Figure the extra $65 over the next 10 years of hunting.........Chaz 
chazgreen
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2007 at 16:25
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2007 at 17:04
Go with the Monarch!!!!!!!!!
corjamwel View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corjamwel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2007 at 22:41

Thank you all for your responses. Looks like in all likelihood I will be going with the Monarch, however, I would like to add one more option after doing some reading. What about spending just a little more and opting for the Bushnell Elite 4200 over the Monarch? Any more opinions?

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2007 at 22:54

The Monarch smokes the FFII and the 3-9 4200 is a steal @ $260. I have both Monarch and Elite glass. My 3-9 Monarch is the equal of the 4200 IMO. I think both of these scopes, being a 3x zoom, are very clear.  Either is a fine choice and great all around hunting scope.

Welcome to O.T.

Doug

ar15a292f View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ar15a292f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2007 at 11:18
I'd go with the UCC 3-9x40 Monarch.  I am a Burris fan, I think that the FullField II is the best under $200 scope out there.  The scope that I have on my 30-06 is a Burris Signature Select 3-10x40 that I got from SWFA.  Right now SWFA has Nikon Monarch's for about $230.  Get the Nikon Monarch, it is definately the best deal out there at this time.  You won't regret it.  Get the best glass that you can afford.  Don't worry about the price of the rifle.  Get the Nikon.
DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2007 at 14:18
Since you have a Burris Signature Select and have experience with it and the Monarch how would you compare the two optically and adjustment wise?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2007 at 20:59
i love my monarch and i can tell you its better than my ffii by a fair amount.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Smokey53119 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey53119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2007 at 21:56

I have all three.  The Monarch and the 4200 are better than the FF-II, but cost more so they should be better.  I do like the Ballistic Plex reticle though. 

The Monarch and 4200 are real close, maybe the same in quality, but the 4200 has rainguard, which I like.  I would be hard pressed to say either is better, so if you do not need or want rainguard get the less expensive of the two.  You honestly could not go wrong with either one.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic