OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Kahles Helia C vs IOR Valdada Hunting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kahles Helia C vs IOR Valdada Hunting
    Posted: September/15/2007 at 14:30

I am going to pull the trigger monday morning on either a Kahles Helia C

3-12x56mm Or a IOR Valdada Hunting scope 4-14x56mm  The money is the same so that is not an issue I will be using this to hunt deer on food plots and I want the best light gathering ability that I can get. I like the 14 power of the IOR but if the Kahles has better light gathering It would be worth the sacrifice to me I only want to talk about these scopes I have done a ton of research on this and these are the two best options for my wallet. If I had my choice I would simply get a Zeiss vmv but my pockets aren't that deep. Any body with any experience with one or both of these scopes I would love to hear your input. And remember Low Light is crucial and my number 1 priority

Thanks in advance

T Wilson

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2007 at 15:29
As much as I like IOR scopes, I think Kahles is a better choice for what you need here.  Besides, most of the problems I have heard of with IOR scopes were with the 56mm objective lens ones.

ILya
bigant View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2007 at 16:51

Kahles....

ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2007 at 14:37

I'll vote for Kahles on this one too.  I also believe that the reticle in the Kahles is better suited for hunting over the MP8 reticle used in the IOR.

Great problem you have here!  I wish I had the same situation myself...

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2007 at 15:18

I just read an article about the IOR MP8. It sounds like a real good reticle for hunters shooting at small critters at varying ranges. I have no experience with IOR, though.

I do have Kahles and can say the optics are excellent and they are tough, too.

Good luck with your choice,

Doug

RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2007 at 17:33

I am biased toward IOR, but based on all I have read about Kahles, I think you should get the Kahles for your application. Get a fairly heavy reticle, though. I would guess that the 7a is heavier than the plex, although they both look the same on the examples of each shown on the SWFA store website page. (One is superimposed over an elk, and the other over a hartebeest or some such critter).  Any one know the difference between these two reticles?

IOR's MP8 reticle is probably the best long distance ranging reticle out there, but it is probably a bit "busy" for hunting in woods or brush. Illuminated, though, so you really shouldn't have any trouble finding the reticle.

twilson View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2007 at 20:44

Ok kahles it is. I was planning on getting the 7a recticle the difference that i see between that and the duplex is that the outer bars seem to be thicker on the 7a and the opening for the smaller lines seems to be farther apart which I think I will like alot

Thanks for everybodys help I will let you know how I make out with it.

TheDrakeTaker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDrakeTaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2007 at 11:43
You're going to love it, I have the same scope with a 4a reticle, it's ridiculously good.
Robert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic