OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

stoney point gauge

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: stoney point gauge
    Posted: September/15/2007 at 11:09
i was looking at one of these last weekend and it says on the back of the package if you see your cartridge isnt listed here send us in an empty case in the caliber you need and we will take care of it at our factory and send it back, what exactly do they do to the case??
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2007 at 13:17

Saving people from the .270 since 1980

they drill out the primer pocket and thread it so the caliper (measuring stick) can be screwed into the case. wonder if there is a 270 anonymous???

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2007 at 14:43
yes there is and i am the president and ive never owned one.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
niles coyote View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niles coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2008 at 01:32
Do they still do this since hornady took over?
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2008 at 10:28
You can also drill and tap your own.  It takes a 5/16x36 tap which is unusual but you can find it online at the machine tool sites.  Been meaning to order one cause drilling one of your own cases will give more accurate measurements.

When you insert a Hornady (Stoney Point) modified case with the bullet into the chamber and push it forward you are contacting the chamber on the shoulder or the belt (whichever it is headspacing on).  Then when you withdraw it and measure it with the comparator your measurement will be short by whatever difference there is between the modified case dimension and your fired case dimension.  If you tap your own or get one of your expanded cases tapped at Hornady then you are using a case that fits your chamber and without excess headspace.

I found this out when I got an R-P Products tool (318-424-7867) shown here below the Hornady

and always had some amount of discrepancy between the measurement the R-P tool gave for OAL and the comparator readings I was getting after measuring fresh out of the chamber and then at the correct OAL.

The R-P tool can not have any false readings so I trust it more than the Hornady although I use both at the same time.
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2008 at 10:55
Actually, you can purchase almost any caliber to fit the gauge.  I have collected probably about 10 to 12.  They work very well and use them on most rifles I reload for.  The 458 win. mag. has differing COLs for different weight bullets, that I did not buy one for it and I am not even sure they offer one.  You can make your own as noted above, but it is so much easier to purchase them and they are not that expensive and you know they are going to fit properly.  I am not sure why they keep putting that on their packaging.
richardca99 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardca99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2008 at 08:38
I have the Sinclair tool which doesn't use a case at all.  I've found it to be very easy to use and highly repeatable. 
VN350X10 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VN350X10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2008 at 23:59
I think they get about 7 bucks for a case (modified). Not sure what they charge for doing one of your own, but I bought the necessary tap from J&L tool & it was only about 12 bucks. Also, the proper size tap drill needed for the 5/16-36,  is a "K" size drill bit.

And the device works MUCH better using a fired case from your rifle.

uncle albert
My gun safe is LARGER than my first appartment !
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic