OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

One scope for life. Advice.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koolfilter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: One scope for life. Advice.
    Posted: September/15/2007 at 02:03

Hello all,

I just want to say this is a great forum you got here, and I picked you because I have seen where you have helped out people several times. Heres my deal.

Need scope for .308 bolt rifle. The idea is to shoot target (for fun, not competition) and kill critters on the farm. Everything from groundhogs to deer. 100 to about 800 yards. I would like to go further, but not sure if I will ever develop enough skill for it.

My plan is to start out on targets at around 200 yards and work my way out as I get the fundamentals down and my skill improves. Then move on to game when I can make ethical kills.

I did shoot expert at Paris Island, and every time after, so I know some iron sight basics already. This was years ago though. Mostly plinked with pistol the last decade.

Heres what I’m thinking:

Mil dot, hash marks or something for holdover/lead would be good too.

Fixed, 10 power

Maybe ½ MOA clicks, ¼ would be better, especially if the turns are limited (two turn or something). No mills.

Parallax Adjustment, prefer a knob. Be nice to have yardage marked on the turret.

Unlimited, no question lifetime warranty. I would consider buying used for this kind of warranty.

Nice to have:

Illuminated reticle

Zero stop

Form my research on the net, this should be all I need no?

Heres the hard part, $800 (ish) or less. Less is better (of coarse).

I’ve seen where a lot of folks like the SS10x42M, the price is definitely good, but how much better can I do with my budget? And I cannot find the warranty information. Plus, its marked in mills.

I would like to buy one scope, and use it pretty much for ever.

If it matters, I have narrowed the rifle choice down to 700PSS/VS or 10FP/12FV.

Oh, and what about rings? Badger Ordnance?

What about a base?

Thanks all

RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2007 at 04:40

Welcom koolfilter! 

I am not nearly as well-versed on the various makes and models currently available, as are many on this board. My initial thought is that nothing is available with all those requirements. The Super Sniper would serve you quite well, as would a few others such as IOR's fixed 10 for quite a little more money.  If you are adament about all your requirements, US Optics will build your dream. Set your budget a little higher if at all possible and get exactly what you want, even if you have to wait a while longer to do it. Otherwise get the SS and be content with it. Nothing else really comes close within your budget parameters, especially if you want Badger Rings and Base.(And you do!), because that's over a third of you budget right there, almost half, even.

I am curious as to why you want a mil-dot reticle but windage and elevation dials in m.o.a.?  Consider getting something in which both systems "speak the same language", so to speak...( IOR's MP8 reticle coupled with one-tenth mil. clicks work together very well, from personal experience).

Cant wait to hear other opinions on this topic...

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2007 at 07:38

Welcome to The OT!!

One scope....... for life?!?!?      

http://www.swfa.com/pc-10182-292-ior-4-14x50-tactical-30mm-r ifle-scope.aspx

The above linked scope, I feel, meets all your requirements, including lit ranging reticle and budget.

I love a fixed SS 10x for myself and the shooting I do, but if your shooting small critters way out to 800 yards or so, I'd opt for a variable scope with a little more power for a "do-all" rifle rig.  

I also say yes to Badger Ord. or TPS for your rings and a 20 MOA rail. 

Like RONK, I'm interested in what The Hive has to say on this one. 

Edited by cheaptrick
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2007 at 10:38

Sure can't argue with that excellent advice from cheaptrick. I don't think it has a zero stop though...If it does , there's your answer.  

Ya gotta admit though-only one scope for life is.....is......well it's like only having one wife at a time ....it's just not "generous"...!   

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2007 at 11:01
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

Sure can't argue with that excellent advice from cheaptrick. I don't think it has a zero stop though...If it does , there's your answer.  

There's a way to make your own zero stop feature. I'ts been posted on here a few times by Mike M. I believe. 

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2007 at 12:24

Only 2 scopes that I know feature a zero stop, Leupold with M3 knobs and Nightforce witht he aftermarket add-on.

In my opinion, zero stop is very nice but shouldn't be a deal-breaker - mostly since I cannot recommend the leupold and your budget would preclude the Nightforce - and you don't seem to be LE and said you are no longer military (by the way, welcome, I am a California Marine, also shot expert a few times, Welcome!) and only LE and military can have a Nightforce zero stop installed just now.

So, my advice would be the IOR, great scope, or the SS with a bullet-drop ceompensator from Kenton Industries.  That gets you everything you want (minus illumianted reticle and zero stop) for under $500.00

The IOR would be a step up, both in price and in quality; however, I don't know that a BDC is made for the IOR by anyone.

So, for us to tell you precisely which one would be absolutely best for you, you'd need to rank your needs in order of importance.  Personally, given what you wish to do with the rifle, I'd say the IOR is the best bet.  If you shoot for a few weeks at various ranges, the come-ups for the 308 will stick in your head and never leave.  Once you reach that, BDC is nice but not absolutely necessary.  I have BDCs on every other gun I own except .308 (or data card on stock.)

Finally, if this is to be a life-long gun, spend the money on Badger base and rings.  I have several sets and ahve never had one fail.  And I know many (MANY) shooters and am not aware of anyone having a set of Badgers fail.  Their stuff just works.  You can spend less - sometiems lots less - but you can't find better.  If you want to buy once, spend the money to get Badger.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
koolfilter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koolfilter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2007 at 15:03

Hey fellas!

Thanks for the welcomes men!

In bold below are quotes from you guys. Have not figgered out the right way to do it yet.

"I am curious as to why you want a mil-dot reticle but windage and elevation dials in m.o.a.? Consider getting something in which both systems "speak the same language", so to speak..."

Yes, I want everything to match, I’m glad you brought that up, I have read pages and pages on this, and I thought I had it figgered out. See, I should have mentioned, I intend to use the scope for range finding, and I think best in yards. Wanted to keep it simple for dialing elevation… Maybe I need to do some more reading. Sorry for sounding so lost here, but ….just having a hard time putting together the relationship between mils and yards (on the knob). This will be a non issue after I work out some range cards though…right?

*After doing some reading, your right, I like the idea of .1 mil clicks. For some reason, I was associating ‘meters’ with ’mills’ (doh!), and the SS has meters marked on the parallax turret. I guess that don’t really matter though, as I would just focus the image.

"http://www.swfa.com/pc-10182-292-ior-4-14x50-tactical-30mm-r ifle-scope.aspx"

That’s a good looking scope. Lifetime warranty. The only reason I wanted to stay with fixed power was because I would probably screw up while estimating range with a variable power.

My dream scope would be a first focal variable (so I could not screw up), but a little spendy for a $500 rifle.

"So, for us to tell you precisely which one would be absolutely best for you, you'd need to rank your needs in order of importance."

I guess it would go something like this:

1 durability -I am just the type to sit out in the rain all day if I take the notion. Most everything I have gets used hard.

2 warranty

2.5 fixed power or front focal variable.(see above)

3 mil dot reticle

4 small clicks-- after some re reading--thinking .1 mil (see above)

5 Parallax Adjustment

Not so important, but real nice to have:

6 Illuminated reticle

7 one or two turn knobs

8 zero stop

I don’t want to push my luck, but, if I wanted to dream, what would it take to get all these things? I mean, Christmas is coming.

"Ya gotta admit though-only one scope for life is.....is......well it's like only having one wife at a time ....it's just not "generous"...! "

Yaa, heh, that’s why I’ve stayed away from yall till now…. *You have devious ways of talking me into separating myself from my money.*

Thanks for your patients guys, I’m not gonna be a noob forever!

Edited by koolfilter
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2007 at 18:46

My recommendations, in the order lsited:

http://www.swfa.com/pc-10118-292-ior-10x56-tactical-30mm-rif le-scope.aspx

http://www.swfa.com/pc-10157-292-ior-25-10x42-tactical-30mm- rifle-scope.aspx

(this one is on the Smaple List for $819.00!

http://www.swfa.com/pc-4305-231-super-sniper-10x42-30mm-rifl e-scope.aspx

The first on the list is evertything you want (except zero stop and 1-turn knob - and you will not get those at this price point.) 

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2007 at 19:09

Good suggestions so far guys I have one other option worth a look:

5214559973 New Zeiss 4.5-14x44 Conquest Rifle Scope                                                                                New Zeiss 4.5-14x44 Conquest Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Rapid Z 1000
  • 1"
  • Side Focus
  • Etched Glass
  • 2nd Plane
  • Free $20.00 Zeiss Conquest Baseball Cap w/ Purchase
SWFA: $874.95
More Info... Buy Now

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
The Big Dog View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Big Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2007 at 21:30

Hi, 

For what you are asking for,  take a look at the Millett TRS-2.  The price is $370 on this web site.  It is a fixed 10x with lighted retical and side focus..  I have a TRS-1 and like it very much.

Catch you later,

The Big Dog

happyness is a warm day and lots of varmints.
koolfilter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koolfilter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2007 at 22:08
Thanks men.
army_eod View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote army_eod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2007 at 05:59

Now my 2 cents

Go with the IOR fixed 10x with no illum.  Or go with the Super Sniper 10X.

You will love either.  IOR has better glass.  Cons:  Do you want to have to remove dust cover to adjust W/E or not?  IOR has dust covers; SS not.

I suppose you could just remove the dust covers and keep the knobs exposed on the IOR.  Does anybody know if that is a problem with the IOR?  I am curious because I own the IOR fixed 6X.

BTW, as others have heard here; I would put my 6X IOR up against the SS 10X any day and engage any tgt as well or better than the SS 10X due to the unbelievable clarity and resolution of the IOR glass.  The 6X IOR goes for about $500.00.  The SS for $300.00.

Thing about the SS is that if you tried it and wanted to sell later, they hold their value.

I also own the SS 10X and will not part with it as I have shot my best groups with it.  But I think part of that is the match ammo I used.

Princes and governments are far more dangerous than other elements within society.

Niccolo Machiavelli
bigant View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2007 at 06:08

Look at Falcon Optics...Menace Line

Reviews of the optics

http://www.falconoptics.com/review.php

cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2007 at 07:11

Welcome Kool,

Check out also The Bushnell Elite 4200, Nice scope for the cash.

Burris XTR, might fit the bill,

Everything mentioned in this topic so far would do very well for ya.

With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2007 at 12:52

For hunting swaro z6

Duce

Duce
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2007 at 17:58
I think the best kinda affordable scope for you is the FFP version of IOR 2.5-10x42 with 1 centimeter clicks (1cm = 0.1 mil).  It is a little over your budget, but it has almost everything you need and variable magnification adds a lot of versatility.

With 0.1 mil clicks and MP-8 reticle (that is also in mils) you just need to know the trajectory of your ammunition in mils.  No need to convert between mils and MOA.  Parallax adjustment is not really necessary for a scope of this magnification, but illuminated reticle can be very helpful with a FFP scope.

ILya
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2007 at 19:22
Originally posted by army_eod army_eod wrote:

Now my 2 cents

Go with the IOR fixed 10x with no illum.  Or go with the Super Sniper 10X.

You will love either.  IOR has better glass.  Cons:  Do you want to have to remove dust cover to adjust W/E or not?  IOR has dust covers; SS not.

I suppose you could just remove the dust covers and keep the knobs exposed on the IOR.  Does anybody know if that is a problem with the IOR?  I am curious because I own the IOR fixed 6X.

BTW, as others have heard here; I would put my 6X IOR up against the SS 10X any day and engage any tgt as well or better than the SS 10X due to the unbelievable clarity and resolution of the IOR glass.  The 6X IOR goes for about $500.00.  The SS for $300.00.

Thing about the SS is that if you tried it and wanted to sell later, they hold their value.

I also own the SS 10X and will not part with it as I have shot my best groups with it.  But I think part of that is the match ammo I used.

I think this is one of the most astute observations I have ever read on this site regarding glass quality. It is too often ignored in the quest for high magnification. This would stand on it's own merit, but when you add all the other benefits of lower magnification, such as wider field-of-view, more forgiving eye-relief, greater depth-of -field, a more compact package, etc, I sometimes wonder why we see so many Hubble telescopes on hunting rifles.

Of course, I'm talking general big-game hunting here. Varmint and target shooters have different needs...

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic