OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

PICK A BINO FOR ME!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PICK A BINO FOR ME!
    Posted: September/13/2007 at 08:25
I have narrowed down all choices to these Binoculars in 8x42.
(1) kahles 8x42 (camo) for $629.00
(2) vortex viper 8x42 for $480.00
(3) pentax dcf sp 8x42 for $450.00
(4) leupold pinnacle 8x42 $400.00

I want these mainly for hunting whitetail deer in Arkansas. I want to know which of these is the best bino for the money optically (BRIGHTNESS, RESOULOUTION). Durability does count but I am not rough on my equipment so they should all be fine. I only have access to the Kahles and Pinnacle. I liked them both but I have heard really good things about the Pentax and the new Vortex. The Kahles are on a closeout sale for a very short time and I want to know if you all think they are a step above and worth the extra cash spent in comparison to the others. I liked the Pinnacles but I have come across a couple of display models that had focus problems, is this a hit and miss bino? The KAHLES was solid feeling and was good optically but couldnt tell that it was that much better in the store. Does anyone out there have real world experienc with a few of these and possibly compared them in real hunting situations. I didnt want to spend that much, but if the Kahles is definately that much better then I will sell a gun for the extra money since they wont last long. If you guys think the Pinnacles are at least 80% the bino as the others then I will get them and save some money.
ronnie View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2007 at 12:21

I only have experience with the kahles and pinnacle and i like the kahles.I would look at the vipers pretty hard also they have got good reviews from several of the guys here.

Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2007 at 20:08
You are not likely to be disappointed with the optical performance of either the Kahles or Viper.

If FrankD ever returns to the forum he has had alot of positive experience with Kahles.

I would try them first while they are on sale.

Edited by Bird Watcher
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2007 at 07:37

I have never looked through the Kahles, but i have used or owned the rest of your list. The Pinnacle is not even in the same class in terms of image quality. It has less sharpness and brightness and more edge distortions.

I think that the Vipers are as good as a < $ 1,000 could possibly get. However, make sure that the focuser is not stiff and that it does not get stiffer in cold weather. Buy from a dealer that would take them back, and try them after keeping them in a refrigerator for a couple of hours after you get them.

I tried the Vipers 8x42 one afternoon after using a pair of Swarovski 8x32 all day to watch birds and after owning premium binoculars for over ten years. When i looked through the Vipers i said "wow". When i tried to focus them far and near i said "bummer".   

Edited by anweis
Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2007 at 01:39

I have no experience with the Vipers but I have read good things.

I have experience with a couple buddies one owns Pentax Sp's and another the Kahles.  I think the Pentax is a good buy but I like the Kahles better.  Personally, if I was going to get a sub $1000 binocular I would lean toward the Kahles. They are very nice glass with a soild reputation from company that has been around for a long long time.  They are well known so if you ever wanted or needed to sell them they will hold their value better then say a Viper which is still establishing its reputation.

One that would also be in the running is a Minox HG series. I would have to handle first but again a solid reputation.

Good Luck

T

If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2007 at 20:49
Well, I called today and now the KAHLES 8X42 roof prism in camo is listed for $519.00 on close out. The 10x were sold out. Do you think KAHLES OR MINOX HG for $550.00 or VORTEX VIPER in 8x42? Like I said in the store I couldnt see that they were that much better than some of the others but maybe they are better in the low light hours and in real lighting situations. Anybody else own these that can give me some advice? The KAHLES was listed over $800 so I will probably risk it and if I dont like them could probably sell them for what I paid .
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2007 at 23:12

I have a Kahles 10X42, and it is certainly a good binocular.  However, I wouldn't say it's better than Minox, or for that matter the Viper.  I also have a Vortex Razor 8X42, and although it isn't exactly fair to compare an 8X42 against a 10X42 when it comes to qualities such as FOV, depth of field, and light transmission (all of which greatly favor the Razor), the Razor still produces a much sharper, higher resolution image, with very little CA, whereas the Kahles has noticeable CA and suffers a quite a bit more from flare under certain lighting conditions and angles.  The Razor also has a huge FOV and depth of field.  Like the Razor, the Viper features HD glass and it's optics are almost, but not quite as good as the Razor.  The Kahles is a nice compact, fairly lightweight bino with great focuser feel and good optics, but I think the Viper has better optics at a lower price, so I would personally choose the Viper over it.  The Minox HG is very good optically and is light for it's size, I just don't personally like the fact it has a narrow FOV.

If you do go with the Kahles, I wouldn't advise getting the camo.  Mine had the camo finish and it rubbed off very easily and flaked at all the sharp corners of the armor, despite very gentle use.  With all the flaked off spots, it very soon looked like it had taken a lot of abuse, so I sent it back to Kahles to get it changed to the solid grey colored armor, which, I'm happy to report, Kahles didn't charge me for. 

Edited by RifleDude
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2007 at 15:27
I talked to a guy at competitor and he said that he would choose the VORTEX VIPER over the PENTAX DCF SP , but he said the KAHLES was a step above the VORTEX VIPER. I read the VORTEX WARRANTY and it sounds really good. It is unconditional, repair or replacement, no warranty cards and owner transferable. The VIPER is slightly larger than the KAHLES but it is 3 ounces lighter. Hmmmm, just wish I had one to look at and compare. I was only going to spend $400.00 on the LEUPOLD PINNACLES and now here I am confused all over again. The KAHLES on sale are the camo models , but it is a good deal so that doesnt matter to me. The optics of these two are probably very simialar, so the weight and warranty may be the deciding factor.
      ANYONE ELSE WANT TO DECIDE FOR ME!!!!!
birdhunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote birdhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2007 at 08:30
I owned the Kahles 8x42 for a couple of years and really liked them alot.  A hunting buddy talked me into selling them to him and it was a big mistake on my part.  I tried several of the lower grade binoculars and all were fairly nice but not nearly as bright or as clear as the Kahles.  I did buy a pair of Swarovski SLCs in 7x42 which I simply love and plan to keep for years to come.  Swarovski and Kahles use to be a sister company and they had a lifetime warrenty against anything other them man made problems.  I would definately buy Kahle's again.  +1 here!
Birdhunter
DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2007 at 08:40
Which were better to your eyes the KAHLES 8X42 or your new SWAROVSKI SLC 7X42? Which were better in low light? You mentioned trying other lower grade binos, did you try LEUPOLD PINNACLES or NIKON MONARCH ATB and how did you rate them?
huntinbucks View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huntinbucks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2007 at 23:22
Dude, get the Kahles.  They have a proven track record.  Not to mention you would be getting a very good deal on them.  If you ever wanted to trade or resell them, they would hold their value better due to the Kahles name.  Hope this helps.
A countryman between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats. -- Benjamin Franklin
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote birdhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2007 at 15:09
I did have Nikon Monarch, Nikon Action Extreme and a pair of Bushnell.  They were all good but not as good at the Kahles.  The Swarovski SLC 7x42s are definately a step better as far as clarity, color, and brightness.  You wouldn't be dissapointed with the Kahles thought if they fit your budget.  Good luck and let us know what you decide on.
Birdhunter
Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2007 at 19:34

I have used the Nikon Monarchs and they are definitly not in the same catagory of binocular as a Kahles, Vortex, Pentax Sp, or a Minox HG.  Of course they cost a lot less as well. 

Personally, if you can get a set of Kahles with all warranty benefits at the price you said I would be all over it.  A concern might be the camo finish but as stated above it was covered by the warranty...Im not a fan of camo binoculars anyways (seems to be to easy to loose) LOL BUT at that price you really can't go wrong. Again, one (everything is individually subjective) of the best sub $1000 binoculars out there and a solid company as well.  Get the Kahles!!

Good Luck

AC

If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

crow_sniper View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crow_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2007 at 23:11
http://www.optics4birding.com/scorecard.aspx?cid=2068 go here and run the score card on them all..
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2007 at 11:50
I would not trust the O4B scorecard too much.  They load it toward the binoculars they get more comissions on.

ILya
lgetz View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lgetz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2007 at 15:29
I bought a set of Kahles 10X42 binoculars and was very impressed by their performance in low light conditions.  My brother took a liking to them and I had a difficult time getting them back from him.  Fortunately he bought his own pair and is pleased as well.
Why must everything I like be so expensive?
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote birdhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2007 at 08:33
Dave 44, which binoculars did you end up purchasing?  Where did you find the Kahles at such a good price 549.99 if I remember correctly?  Thanks bird_hunter66
Birdhunter
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic