OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope advise; 2x12 or 6x24

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope advise; 2x12 or 6x24
    Posted: September/11/2007 at 11:18

I am not very well versed on scopes or rifles but recently picked up a Sako 22-250.  I happen to have three scope that I purchased at the auction. First is a Buck Ridge 6x24 42mm with red laser point, Redfield 4x12 40?mm and an old Unertl 20x scope.  I would like to use the gun for woodchuck hunting and wonder which would be the best overall.  Any thoughts?

I also purchsed a Winchester Model 75 for my son to hunt along side of me.  It looks like the Unertl will fit on that.  Would that be suitable for 100 to 150 yard shots?

ND2000 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ND2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2007 at 11:50

Cbat -

The Unertl at 20x is way too much power for hunting woodchucks at 100-150 yards.  You'll never be able to hold it steady enough without a perfect rest system, which you will not have in the field. 

I have no experience with Buck Ridge or Redfield scopes, so I cannot comment on scope features/optics, but would tell you the 4-12x40 is the better choice just based on magnification range alone for your intended hunting application.

ND2000

You either get what you pay for or what you deserve.
cbat View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2007 at 12:55

ND2000,

It has been 20 years since I have shot a rifle, that I had forgotten about that.  Guess the 4x12 would be best. 

So do you know if they make mounts that would fit the Model 75 winchester and a modern scope?  Should I have it tapped?

The lugs look like they fit the Unertl but would not be close enough for any other scope.

Cbat

ND2000 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ND2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2007 at 13:17

Cbat -

None of that should be a problem with a competent gunsmith.  Good luck!

ND2000

You either get what you pay for or what you deserve.
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2007 at 18:18
Originally posted by cbat cbat wrote:

ND2000,

It has been 20 years since I have shot a rifle, that I had forgotten about that.  Guess the 4x12 would be best. 

So do you know if they make mounts that would fit the Model 75 winchester and a modern scope?  Should I have it tapped?

The lugs look like they fit the Unertl but would not be close enough for any other scope.

Cbat

I'd step back a bit and think twice about drilling any more holes in this fine old rifle unless it's a beater to begin with. Get a good 'smith to see if he can make it shootable with any existing holes if possible and practical.

RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2007 at 18:32
Originally posted by ND2000 ND2000 wrote:

Cbat -

The Unertl at 20x is way too much power for hunting woodchucks at 100-150 yards.  You'll never be able to hold it steady enough without a perfect rest system, which you will not have in the field. 

I have no experience with Buck Ridge or Redfield scopes, so I cannot comment on scope features/optics, but would tell you the 4-12x40 is the better choice just based on magnification range alone for your intended hunting application.

ND2000

Yeah , 20x is really a bit  much for 100-150 yards. 400 yard prairie dogs? Now that's more like it.

cbat View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2007 at 19:25

Ronk,

Yes, the gunsmith gave me a talking to when I called him today.  He told me not to drill the Winchester and that the Unertl would fit on it.

It is a lot of scope for a .22 so thoughts are to have him throw the Unertl on it and then sell is to get the kids something else to shoot.

Cbat

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2007 at 21:33

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2007 at 21:53
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=80166805

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=80109262

WOW!  That is some gorgeous wood on the second one!

cbat View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2007 at 04:28

Nice,

Model 75's, the one I kept is not as nice as those two.

Guess that I should not have sold the other Mosel 75 I purchased at the auction.  Sold it on Gunbroker a month or two ago.  The stock was a little short for him.   It had really nice wood but thought it was an after market so kept the other thinking it was better to keep the one that is original.  Here is the link, OK tell me what an @#^ I was for selling it!  http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=77232889

RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2007 at 18:19
Originally posted by cbat cbat wrote:

Nice,

Model 75's, the one I kept is not as nice as those two.

Guess that I should not have sold the other Mosel 75 I purchased at the auction.  Sold it on Gunbroker a month or two ago.  The stock was a little short for him.   It had really nice wood but thought it was an after market so kept the other thinking it was better to keep the one that is original.  Here is the link, OK tell me what an @#^ I was for selling it!  http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=77232889

You really shouldn't beat yourself up for selling it. Let US do that!!!  No, really, don't allow yourself any regret, unless you failed to make enough on the deal to buy about 40 acres of good bottomland...

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic