OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Target
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Objectivity

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Objectivity
    Posted: October/03/2004 at 08:29
It seems some clarification is in order. Light has a dual nature. A single ray of light has a mass of 0 and a length of infinity.  Zero times infinity is equal to 1. This creates a pulse called a Dirac function. It acts like a particle, which is called a photon. Photons create problems, they have momentum. This is were optical engineers go to coffee. Because the pulse acts at infinity the pulse "front" acts as a wave. These are called UPW or uniform planar waves, they are a function of hyperbolic partial differential equations. As opposed to parabolic partial differential which have both dissapative and dissasociative  -properties, UPW only have one. This is why no media can transmit 100%. These losey properties explain why a certain amount of image quality are lost as heat build up in scope metal and similar devices. Fortunately the eye responds in a log scale to light intensity from 1 to several orders of magnitudes. This is why you can look in a dark corner and quickly into a bright yard and still have some semblence of image quality. This is because the eye reacts to photons and not light rays! Optical engineers use geometrical representations and formulas that are linear in their relationships. The eye response and your interpretion is a non-linear event. You have a linear device (the scope) trying to go non-linear, and a non-linear device (your congnitive system) trying to stay linear. It amaze me that any of it works. About this time you are asking if this is really a clarification. I hope so. The human is affected by a mass of waves. UPW make up about 3% of wave types but the most is known about them (the electromagnitic spectrum). Other wave types such as mirage affect your scopes ability but are of the parabolic type. Other parabolic types that affect your shooting are the nervous system impulses in your body, drug diffusion etc. A combination of these or lack of constitute the response to any scope (or pushing the x button to get out this Post) but none the less have far more influence on any single linear parameter posted by some scope manufacture. As an example if you are the drug cimetidine you will see a slight shift in the color green (the details of which I am sure you hope I skip). My guess is that you will choose Leo scopes for their "warmer" color rendetions than say Nikon.
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2004 at 12:03

I hope you don't have access to any weapons grade plutoniam or enriched uranium.

ranburr

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2004 at 18:30
I live in Tooele Ut. 20 miles to south is the a nerve gas center, and 20 miles to the west is the Army biological warfare center. If I say any more 2 large farm boys from west virginia will show up on your door step asking questions.
sscoyote View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sscoyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2004 at 21:47
2 men in black just showed up on my doorstep with sunglasses, and some flashy thingy.

Edited by sscoyote
Steve
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2004 at 09:57
I was just messin with ya. They are supposed to call first!
JusticeSWFA View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JusticeSWFA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2005 at 14:21
Is Leupold and Nikon the only 2 you can compare that with?
STWSniper View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote STWSniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2005 at 20:15
Wow that is lot of useful information? LOL
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2005 at 21:52
The short version is that companies like Leo recognize this and have introduced products such as the Alumnia filters which take advantage of both the physical contraints and biological constraints of the situation adjusting the cooler blues at high altitude to a warmer constrast to help the shooter "see the target better".
STWSniper View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote STWSniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2005 at 22:56
Leupold did come out with some innovative products this year. I will be trying some of their Alumina accessories out in the near future. 

Edited by STWSniper
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic