OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

AR Rifles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ND2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AR Rifles
    Posted: September/10/2007 at 21:00
Was curious if anyone uses/owns AR-type rifles for deer hunting or simply shooting at the range.  I suppose I'm looking for either a .260 (or similar caliber) for a deer rifle or a .22 for a target rifle.  Any suggestions on manufacturer, not worrying about price for the moment?

Thanks much.

ND2000
You either get what you pay for or what you deserve.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2007 at 21:58
most ar10 types are fairly heavy, might consider a 15 type in a grendel use for target and hunting. muzzle blast on short (below 20 in) on 308 based cases is not my favorite afternoon, like shooting muzzle breaks with large charges.
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2007 at 00:34

Have you considered a .243 variant?

ranburr

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2007 at 23:03

Mine is a .223 and is used for service rifle. It is a Colt match HBAR and is excellent IMO.

I recently had someone start bad mouthing the Colt AR's that was a Bushmaster owner. Fine, I don't see Colt owners bad mouthing non-Colts, AR or 1911! They work and hold their value, kind of like Harley's.

If you use the search function there was some discussion of .260 and .243 AR's around here.

Doug

Rem700believer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rem700believer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2007 at 21:15
I own a M4-A3, it is an excellent rifle i bought the A3 that way i could run a scope a little easier than with a 2 or 1.  i've never had a problem with it.  I only target shoot with it but aside from rabbits and other small game that'll be the only reason i use it.  I could see an AR-10 being more practical for an all around rifle.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2007 at 06:20

Outdoor Life ran this article recently to make up for the Jim Zumbo mistake.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/outdoor/shooting/article/0,19912, 1639507-1,00.html

There is also a blog running with this.

Doug

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2007 at 16:30

Originally posted by ND2000 ND2000 wrote:

Was curious if anyone uses/owns AR-type rifles for deer hunting or simply shooting at the range. 

I sure do....Want to see it?!?!?!?!? 

Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2007 at 22:11

usually a light weight bolt rifle makes a better carry gun. in "target" (read praire dog) 22. have had several different manufactures and they are all good. usually if a heavy barrel is used it is to front end heavy, bushmaster's predator and varmiter has about the best "balance". would use this one on antelope and mulies with heavier bullets.

6.5x 20 illuminated mk4 bushmaster varmiter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2007 at 08:20

Dale, what type of BCG is that?

Awful shiney......

Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2007 at 10:39
dpms chrome bolt carrier and bolt. cleans easier.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2007 at 11:15

elaborating a bit-- with  the amount of cottage parts today, there can be considerable differences between a target, ar a doorkicker, or one set for DCM. if the spring rate is heavy and the bolt is light or a standard m16, the cycle rate is extremely fast, even for select fire weapons. (around 900 rpm) the chrome bolt above is heavier with a very light spring, and very slow cycle rate, but still probably around 350 to 450 depending on how hot the loads are. the trigger in the ar15 target type guns are "match" quality and varmiter is outstanding, breaking at about 1.5 to 2 lbs. (heavy I know compared to a bolt, but very clean). If the gun has a fast cycle rate the weight of the finger on the trigger can feather against the trigger and the faster bolt can cause doubling or tripling, along the same lines as the commercial product being sold. (hell fire or something like that). Timmney, Gesille, RRA , Mccormick all make excellant after market triggers, some manufactures JP, bushmaster,Bauer, and others include the set up with the gun. You would not want this in doorkicker. An exception to this is the Robinson xcr which as a real military two-stage trigger (and out standing) which allows precision trigger, for long range shooting as well as doorkicker advantages.

barrels can be gotten to shoot long range 22 in the 70+ gr vld with bc around .45. this one is 1x9 and likes vmax 40 gr. stuffed with varget at 3800 fps. the one above is not chrome lined, but 4140 with a "tight" chamber.

ar's can offer many different paths for the shooter-- and all black guns are not the same.

ar10 differ alot also, although not as much, having an eagle and ar10t, the are quite different. The bolt return springs and buffers are different although the carriers seem the same. The eagle is chrome lined barrel at 20 inc, and the target grade, (at least to armalite) stainless steel, the reloads in one does not work in the other, and mostly just use SA in the eagle. triggers are completely different as the ar10t is the two stage match and the eagle.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2007 at 11:25

That rifles a beauty, Dale.

I knew it was a chrome BCG, I just wanted you to elaborate on it and you obliged.

I would also add LMT's most excellent 2 stage trigger to those you mentioned. If you like a 2 stage, of course. Some folks don't, but I do.

Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2007 at 11:38

shooting ars for groups is harder than bolts, and 2-stage triggers may or may not help. usually end of trigger finger does not work and the trigger hand has to be rolled around until the break in the knuckle controls athe break more than the end of the finger, this allows the shot to be "held" longer, much llike shooting black powder guns with really slow lock times, (which ars do have-very,very slow lock times). and the trigger held back until the gun cycles into the next shot. When shooting prone this also allows the grip hands lower 4 fingers to pull the stock into the shoulder for a more consistent hold.

AR15Hunter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AR15Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2007 at 00:58
Originally posted by ND2000 ND2000 wrote:

Was curious if anyone uses/owns AR-type rifles for deer hunting or simply shooting at the range.
ND2000

Sure do. Check out AR15Hunter.50webs.com

223 almost exclusively year round. That is red deer also. Not sure if you have those critters state side? Knock over white tail deer piece of cake.

Edited by AR15Hunter
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic