OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

fall food plot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahuebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: fall food plot
    Posted: September/10/2007 at 17:19
Well I attempted my first food plot this past weekend. I'm not sure how great it will turn out. I think I needed to till up or plow up before disking. One of the plots was very muddy also. I spread pelletized lime and a pre mixed back of seed called rack master. I'll let you know if it turns out ok.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2007 at 18:39
Definitely keep us posted on the food plots, as I'd like to learn more about how to do it right and whether I'd get better results by going all out as you've done vs. my traditional method of just plowing up an area, throwing out seed and walking away.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
ahuebel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahuebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2007 at 19:46

I wouldn't say I went all out :). I tried my best but the one plot was a mud pit and who knows what might happen there. The other one was full of grass. Both were quite small. Regardless I'll definitely keep you posted.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2007 at 22:24
I checked out my food plot planting efforts last week and here is what I found as results. The ladino clover and some of the other mixed grasses I seeded on one area about 6 acres has resulted in a great clover crop that seed was frost seeded - thrown out with a hand held bag spreader while it was pre - spring late winter. That was my most successful effort. I also had about 2 acres disked up along the creek which is usually 4 ft wide I spent great effort planting that area to Frigid Forrage "Big-N-Beasty Brassicas with carrots" This mix contains; Sugar Beets, Purple Top Forage Turnip, Carrots, Winfred Forage Rape, Dwarf Essex Rape, and Hunter Forage Rape/Turnip Hybrid.  To which I added corn and some other various seeds. I drug a harrow section over the planting to kick a little dirt over it.  A couple of weeks later the creek flooded and washed out a lot of the planting. I replanted same and it flooded again about a month later.  Result is I have half a field of misc weeds and half a field of the stuff that really draws them in. Lots of rain this year. last year was dry. All in all Im hopeful.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
ahuebel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahuebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2007 at 08:44
That sounds like a great deal of work. I'd call THAT going all out. What state are you in?
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2007 at 13:38

Iowa

Youth season starts tomorrow my nephew has a tag for it so we will try to get the big one again this year.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2007 at 20:22

That is a lot of effort for sure, Ufrnd. I'm glad to see you are mentoring your nephew.....................outstanding, and I hope your luck is there as well!

Doug

ahuebel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahuebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2007 at 13:24
Well I checked on my food plots this past weekend. We had no rain there from the time I planted until last weekend. The plot I planted in the muddy area has done pretty good and the others seem to have had a hard time but I think once we get a rain there they will come up.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2007 at 14:19

I can relate there ahuebel,

been rough here in Ga. lookin for some laden oaks, and persimmons, they're out there I just gotta scout more

With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic