OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

What makes the VX III better than before?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2004 at 12:59

thats what i heard, im not 100% on it, but i think sightron is making it.

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
VanMojo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2004 at 11:57

Well, I just stopped working at Leupold (yesterday was my last day, though I may start a new job on a different shift there soon) but I'm fairly sure that Leupold buys their glass from multiple suppliers.  Most of them are from Japan, yes, but for the simple reason that lenses of the quality that they require simply are not availabe in the US.  I believe that the Rifleman series uses US-made lenses, which do not have the multi-coat coating that the most other Leupold scopes do, but I can't confirm that.

Wind River is completely seperate from Leupold except that it carries the guarantee and warranty... you'd be hard pressed to find a Wind River product anywhere on the Leupold campus. 

chasseur106 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasseur106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2004 at 11:31

Why would you ever willingly stop working at a scope manufacturer?    Think of the contacts and savings.... NOpe just kidding, I am sure that you had your reasons.

Anyway, that would really be cool knowing how they put them together.   Gotta go and buy one now.

Blessings.

I am not getting a good feeling about this election.  I think that J.Kerry and his lawyer side cohort may have snowed some of the Law abiding gun owners into believing that he, too, is a hunter, and gun owner... WHen in fact he voted 51/ 53 times against our right to own any guns, let alone an AK 47, 74 or AR 15 and all of the variance that could come from that.

CHasseur106

Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasseur106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2004 at 18:06

Hello All!,

I just bought a used Burris Black Diamond 4-16X 50mm with Ballistic Mil dot from a local gun shop here in Western PA.   I must admit that I really fell in love with the side adjustable PA knob and the clarity of glass on this one.  The best part is that it saved me about $230.00 over buying a new one.  It even came with rings and scope flip open caps from Butler Creek.

NOW!!!  I'm a happy camper!   Woo hooo!  At last, a great scope for my .300 Win Mag...

So now I can take off the Leupold Vari-X III, and send it down onto my CZ 527 in .223.  

Does anyone else use Burris to sometimes replace the cost of a Leupold, besdes me?

Later and prayerfully,

Greater!

Scott

Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasseur106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2004 at 18:00

Hello And Thank you for all your responses!     

It is going to cost me approximately $8.00 to mount this new scope on a Beretta MATO in .300 Win. MAG. The reason it will cost $8.00 is because I have to buy new mounts for the rifle, as I said the scope already has 30 mm rings on it, that use the Weaver type claw mount.  I call them Picatinny rail mounts, but nobody seems to understand that terminology. THe place where I bought it will mount it for free, since I bought both the rifle and the scope there, and then bore sight it for me. 

WHAT THIS IS LEADING UP TO:

This is for a hunt that a friend of mine and I would like to go on.  We are researching on the web to find the best priced hunt's available for out west.  Anyone care to share a recent hunt's experience and give me some hard won advice about what to bring or what not to do??  

We have never booked a hunt before, so I have lots to do between now and when we plan to go to get ready for it. First I will need to get into shape, this won't be like PA deer hunting that only requires a 4X4 and a shooting stand...  Much different.   I want to go to Idaho, because the tags seem to be so cheap and there seems to be a lot of available open state game land to do so.  I will finish this final essay under the miscellaneous topic forum.

Thanks to all!

ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2004 at 19:32

Depending on what you are looking to hunt, you will probably find that it is cheaper to hunt it in Canada than it is out west.  I am assuming that we are talking about Elk, sheep or mule deer.

ranburr

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2004 at 16:46

FYI for anyone reading this thread.  Here is a link to an old post about the new VX-III

Leupold’s new VX-III

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic