OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

What makes the VX III better than before?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasseur106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What makes the VX III better than before?
    Posted: October/02/2004 at 18:34

Just a quick note to any who would care to respond... I really would like to know what makes the Vari X III of lesser quality than the VXIII?   I own several Vari X III and several Burris Signatures and just right now cannot see moving up to Leupold's new line of scopes, without serious justifications.    Sure I want a newer scope for a new gun I just purchased, but cannot see how the Leupold Boone and Crockett reticles are really any better than the Burris Black Diamond with Ballistic Mil Dot...  They are to me, just a different method to get to the same conclusion...Accurate shot placement out to 400 yards, aren't they?

This response has more to do with the extra purchase price of a Leupold VX III, than with understanding the difference of the two systems...  But please feel free to give me your opinion.

Chasseur106

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2004 at 20:51

One thing that would have been a nice change, would have been for Leupold to change to a laser etched reticle, instead of the old, obsolete wire reticle.

The new VXIII is a copy of the Zeiss Conquest, but lacks the optical resolution and the laser etched reticle that the Conquest offers.    

A fixed, versus a variable eye relief would have been a good change up too. Again, the Conquest offers fixed.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2004 at 16:32

and is supposedly brighter, becuase of index matched lenses. my 2004 VXII 4-12x40 is just as clear as my 2003 VXIII 4.5-14 when using the same exit pupil, so basically, the new VXIII's are better than the old ones, and the new VXII's are jsut liek the old VXIII's

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
chasseur106 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasseur106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2004 at 20:35

Hello All,

I agree that they have made ergonomic changes as well as other enhancements to their line.  I am not saying that they are not high quality scopes.... I guess my biggest B@#$^ is that there is not anything other than an added reticle ranging system that to me would justify the increase in prices. 

I am not sure if my eyes are all that bad, or if anyone can tell index matched lenses from ordinary Vari X III lenses??? So do you get what I am saying..?   I am all for product improvements, but when you get down to where the rubber meets the road, how much of this technology improvement is going to make one iota of difference on your next hunt?

Chasseur106

ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2004 at 21:18

Think of it like the WSM craze going on with rifles right now.  You have to offer the consumer something new every so often to keep his attention.  Forget the fact that it is really questionable just how much the new product is an improvement on the old.  Apparently new equals better across the board.  All of that being said, yes the VXIII is better then the Vari-XIII.  No the VXIII is not as good as the price would indicate.

ranburr

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2004 at 22:46

Just as a reminder, Leupold advertised the use of the " indexed, matched lens coatings" in their 2003 catalog. Now the hype it as if it were a monumental discoverey for 2004. I think this kind of goes in part to what ranburr stated.

Hey ranburr, is th VXIII a " copy of the Zeiss Conquest"? If Leupold was going to copy a scope for an improvement, than they should have used the Elite 4200 as a base line!!!!!!!

Edited by Roy Finn
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasseur106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2004 at 09:32

I suppose I understand what you are trying to tell me.  Thanks for your efforts.  I am mostly lamenting that the Economy is going everywhere except at my job so that I, too, can enjoy a nice little pay increaase to keep pace with inflation.

chasseur106

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2004 at 21:53
Chasseur106, I posed a similar question to yours, and so far the responce that makes the most sense is the one from ranburr. I don't want to give ranburr a heart attack, but, I would take his favorite 3-9x40 Conquest over the new and improved Leupold VX-III any day of the week.
Grubbs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grubbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2004 at 16:45
Roy Finn....I would too,  in my opinion there are many scopes of equal or lesser price that are superior to Leupold.  As I have said before, the best things about Leupold are it's marketing/advertising, and customer service.  Their scopes are very average in my opinion.
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasseur106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2004 at 16:43

Thank you to all who responded to me...

I agree that Zeiss is very nice.  I have not purchased any scopes recently because I had to put money down and buy a truck, which screws my budget for a while.

The position of philosophy that I think I must rely on is this...  I agree that there are nicer scopes than Leupold for the money, however, with the recent (last 20 years), outsourcing of American jobs to other countries, I think I will celebrate my American Scope manufacturers, Burris, and Leupold for most of my purchases for now and for in the future.

Is there any among us, who would like to see foreigners making all of our stuff???  It is bad enough that the United Nations wants to take away our rights to keep and bear arms, and that John Kerry supports the U.N., so I will have to stay with G.W. Bush, Burris and Leupold!

Thanks once again for your commentary.

Chasseur106 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2004 at 17:01

While I appreciate your love of country, I believe you would be surprised at the amount of materials that Leupold uses that are not made in the good 'ol USA. The glass primarily is Jap.

Not a slam on Loopie, but a fact none the less.

The only scope that I know of made 100% in the US, is US Optics.

Sorry about your financial detour, I have several of my own right now as well.  

Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasseur106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2004 at 23:17

Cheap Trick,

What info do you glean from what source that says Leupold is getting their glass from foreign sources?  I am not saying that you're not correct, it is that I have been to their site on the internet many times and have not seen, apparently the same info that you have.  Are you certain of this?

Thanks and have a great rest of the weekend.

Chasseur106

ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2004 at 01:32

Cheap trick is correct.  Leupold glass comes from Japan.

ranburr

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2004 at 06:47
That could onl be a good thing for Leupold, unless they when to Schlott!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2004 at 07:26
Originally posted by chasseur106 chasseur106 wrote:

Cheap Trick,

What info do you glean from what source that says Leupold is getting their glass from foreign sources?  I am not saying that you're not correct, it is that I have been to their site on the internet many times and have not seen, apparently the same info that you have.  Are you certain of this?

Thanks and have a great rest of the weekend.

Chasseur106

This is a fairly well known fact. I didnt say that to sway you or slam Leupold. I happen to like high quality Jap glass. My Nikon LX Venturers served me very well, as well as several Nikon rifle scopes.

Night Force also uses Jap. glass. It wouldnt surprise me if Zeiss and some of the other Euro scope guys buy Jap. glass from time to time. High quality glass is one thing. But, I think that coatings are as much or more important. 

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2004 at 09:10

the last i heard, sightron is making leupolds glass.

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
Grubbs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grubbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2004 at 16:42
I too understand that Leupold uses Jap glass.  They make no bones about it with many of their products, specifically some binos, which they admit are imported. 
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2004 at 17:40

only the wind river stuff, and thats the reason they put WIND RIVER in bid letters instead os LEUPOLD.

cory

Grubbs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grubbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2004 at 11:03
Leupold still markets wind river as Leupold product.
Boomholzer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomholzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2004 at 11:52
Originally posted by redneckbmxer24 redneckbmxer24 wrote:

the last i heard, sightron is making leupolds glass.

cory

really?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic