OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold or Zeiss?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schling_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold or Zeiss?
    Posted: September/10/2007 at 11:39
Which do you guys think is going to be a better scope for a rem 700 25-06? A Leupold 4.5-14X50 VX3 or Zeiss conquest 4.5-14X50? Will be used for deer and varmit hunting. Thanks in advance especially from guy who have owned both scopes.
ND2000 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ND2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2007 at 13:38

Have owned Leupold in the past and still regret it.  Go with the Zeiss Conquest.

ND2000

You either get what you pay for or what you deserve.
308garand View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308garand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2007 at 14:16

I just got finished with a simular situation.  I had the chance to compare a Leupold 4.5-14x40 VXIII and Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44 side by side over the weekend. If you have the money go with the Zeiss. You won't be disapointed. Both are good scopes but the glass in the Zeiss is so clear it is like you opened a window and are looking out. I did buy a Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x40mm LR/T but only because I got a very good deal on a slightly used one. If I had of had the extra cash I would have gone with the Zeiss and not looked back. Both are good scopes and I don't think you will be unhappy with either. But I highly recommend Zeiss. Hope this helps some.

308garand

schling_us View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schling_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2007 at 15:08

Thanks for the replies guys I just found a similar post and the Zeiss seems to be the clear winner there too, coming from a family that all shoot leupold I was a bit sceptical if Zeiss was worth the extra $. Thanks guys.

xanadu View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xanadu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2007 at 09:47
 More than worth it ... " zeiss " . If you want to only buy one high end scope not end up with a drawer full get a Zeiss . Leupold has a good warranty and this is leupold country here BUT they are sending them back alot for repairs . If the leu guys would admit it they do break and malfuction alot more often than the zeiss .... who wants to wait 3-9 weeks to get it repaired and sent back ... BIG PAIN IN THE BUTT !!!  ---
Been There Done That !!!!!!
ROCKMAN57 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ROCKMAN57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2007 at 16:14

Not sure about everyone else but here's one true story for you.I gave my dad my old Leupold VARI XII in 3-9x40 last year close to the end of deer season.I had that scope on two different 30-06's over the last ten or so years with never a problem.I hunt a lot and a lot of it in the woods stalking so it was well used.Dad took a spill on his 3-wheeler late last year and was having problems sighting in the scope.He thought the spill had messed it up so he sent it in with a note that he was in a hurry to get it back.He got it back 10 days later and they found nothing wrong with it.Seems he had bent the rings when it hit the ground and never hurt the scope.You can say what you want about Leupold because it's a free country but this story speaks for itself.I've never had a Zeiss yet but with my new VX II 6-18X40 I shot an Axis buck this year looking right into a rising sun and had a clear sight picture and can't see where a Texas boy would need anything more in this lifetime.

Good luck either way.

Rock

Walk softly,keep the wind in your face and watch your back
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2007 at 22:18
I have always been a "Leupold guy" After reading so many positive things about Zeiss, I decided to try one. I bought a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 and mounted it on top of my new Remington model 700 mountain rifle (30-06) It's attached with Warne rings-nice set-up! When I look through it, two words come to mind-CRISP and CLEAR! Leupold vx3-nice scope, Zeiss Conquest-great scope! Happy Huntin', Bricat
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2007 at 01:28
If my only choices were between the Zeiss Conquest and the Loopy VX111, I`d go with the Zeiss!!!........I am a former Leupold owner!!! Too many `ol die hard Loopy owners are always dead set on having that good looking gold ring on their scope. Some minds are closed to alternatives. With the attitude of some, you`d think that the gold ring got attached or stuck somewhere else!!! Gotta have that Leupold!!!...........There are other scopes out there besides LEUPOLD that will do the same or better job and for less money if necessary!.......Along with the Zeiss Conquest, I will stack my Elite 4200 w/ Rainguard against any VX11 or VX111; for clarity, crispness, resolution, for brightness, under any possible weather condtion, under any low light situation, for durability, for ease of turret operation, for focus, holding zero,,,,,,,,,you name it!!!!!!!! Except for the Zeiss` small fractional increase of brightness over the 4200, the 4200 is just as crisp, clear & resolute and is closer to the Zeiss in glass than the VX111........ 
DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2007 at 06:44
How would you rate the new Burris Signature Selects compared to the 4200 and the Conquest? I dont really hear very much about them on this forum, is it because they are overpriced for what they offer or are they just lacking in the optics department compared to the above mentioned scopes?
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2007 at 07:59

zeiss, hands down -

the 4200's are great scopes for the money too and i actually replaced a 44mm zeiss w/ a 50mm 4200.

but i can't speak about the burris sign line.  some folks like em though.

J

Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2007 at 09:27
Dave 44.................When comparing the the 4200 vs. the Burris Signature Select, which I have done, I cannot see the $120 difference in price. The 3x9 Elite 4200 (the few they have left) is $259 on this site. The 3x10 Burris is $379!.......If anyones eyes can justify paying the extra 32%, then buy the Select!!......Same holds true with the Conquest. Compared with 4200, which I also have done, the Conquest is a fractions brighter, but the 4200 is still just as clear and crisp. The cost for the Zeiss is an additional 35% over the 4200.............In the field, or under any condition, neither the Zeiss or the Select will have any advantage over the Elite 4200! The 4200`s Rainguard feature will also insure that I will never lose a shot, in any weather condition. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic