OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Power Ring on European Scopes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ND2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Power Ring on European Scopes
    Posted: September/09/2007 at 20:22
Was curious what people's experience has been regarding both a) smoothness and b) stiffness among the various European scope manufacturers, namely Swarovski, Kahles, S&B, and Zeiss.

Thanks in advance.

ND2000
You either get what you pay for or what you deserve.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2007 at 23:56
The power ring on all those brands is very smooth and precise feeling without being overly stiff.  It's really hard to make a comparison between those because this will be very subjective, plus there may very well be model to model differences within the same brand.  However, just among the scopes I own from each of those brands, the S&B ring has a little tighter, slightly more stiff feeling than the others, yet is still silky smooth.  Swaro and Kahles have perhaps the lightest resistance, with Zeiss only slightly stiffer than those two.  I like a little bit of stiffness because it just has a more precise feel, but not so stiff as to almost require a pair of pliers to turn like some of the Leupold and Burris scopes I've had.  Of the Euro scopes I own, I think I like the feel of the S&B power ring the best, but they are all very smooth.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2007 at 10:23
when getting a new scope I grab that sucker and wrench it back and forth about a hundred times, trying to get something to loosen up or break - on all scopes- take care of it now before spending a long time on load work up etc then having to replace it. As with rifledude I prefer on the stiff side, no complaint from the group you mention probably their most out standing feature, (smoothness, ease of use, dial indicator as to power, design of ring).
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic