OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold
    Posted: September/06/2007 at 16:36
Well, I did it.  I bought my first Leupold rifle scope.  A VX-II 3x9 duplex reticle.  I had quite a few points built up on my American Express card and am starting on two custom rifle projects and need at least one good scope and since I have never personally owned a Leupold, because of the price, I figured, lets give this one a try.  I have heard on this forum where this model stands with respect to other brands and their models, but any subjective or objective commentary would be appreciated.  Since the scope basically cost me next to nothing, any more expensive model would have, that is why I choose it and figured it was sort of their middle of the line scope, discounting the Rifleman and super high end models.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2007 at 16:40
its an ok scope, i guess at least you know that cs will stand behind it and not jerk you around should an issue arise, i have a vari x ii on my 300wsm and its a good scope and the vx isnt really to different so its a good scope.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2007 at 16:54

You did well to spend those bonus points on a 3-9 Leupy, D.

I can't help but notice when I see adds for customs in SCI and other magazines there are usually Leupolds mounted on them. The Nosler and Kimber adds usually have them. I think it is because they look so darn good on a hunting rifle. The optics are always good, too.

I hope we get to see pics when your done!

Doug

Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2007 at 17:13
Yep!.... I`ve noticed that on just about every hunting rifle add, that the Leupolds are mounted on the rifles. They do look good. It must be that GOLD RING!
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2007 at 17:16

There's nothing wrong with a Leupy 3-9X40 VX-II, especially since you got it for next to nothing.  Yes, there are better scopes, but there are also much worse.  It's a good solid scope that will give you many years of good service, and if it doesn't, L will stand behind it.  The current VX-II line is the same as the previous Vari-X III line optically, which is decent.

Be sure and post pics of your custom rifle!

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2007 at 17:19
Dolphin...............For next to nothing, I too would have considered a VX11. That`s a great deal..... It`s not a VX111, Nikon Monarch, a Conquest or an Elite 4200, but she`ll certainly get er done! 
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2007 at 17:30

The Gold Ring is probably a part of it. Leupolds are proportioned nicely, though. I can't help notice that the two Monarchs I picked up this past spring look to be sized to the equivalent 2-7 and 3-9 Leupy's.

Doug

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2007 at 11:55
I was reading an article about the vx-II line up and apparently they are made of two tubes rather than one.  I was unaware of this when I purchased the scope.  Just about everybody, even the el cheapos use one tube.  Mueller used two tubes on many of their scopes and openly advertised that fact, but has since switched to one tube construction.  Does anybody find this unusual or disheartening, especially since they do not advertise that fact.  The vx-III uses one tube construction, but they don't advertise that fact either.  From a structural standpoint, obviously one tube construction is superior, but if done correctly, two tube construction can be equally as good, but seems like it would be more costly to build it to the same rigidity.  Therefore, I would have to say, it probably is structurally inferior to their more expensive scopes.  Any thoughts or comments. 

Edited by Dolphin
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2007 at 12:08
Scope construction and or durability always should be considered.............If I were you, I would mount that scope and go out and have some fun. Since you acquired it for next to nothing, I wouldn`t put too much emphasis on single tube or two tube construction. That is of course, until something happens! Then the warranty should cover it.....The VX11 is still a good scope. It should be good enough on the range or on any hunt, regardless of conditions.....If someday you feel for any reason that it does not meet your needs, then sell it and upgrade! 
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2007 at 12:38
how many of the 1" single tube guys can turn around a scope in 3 days with a set of mk4 m1 turrets on there tubes. the point is leo offers an extreme flexibity with this model as to reticle and turret options even though it is in their  lower priced line. Leo lists these features or non-features in their catalog. to me a one piece tube, once the extruding machinery was set up would be cheaper to produce, since threading usually done by hand, on the saddle and a tube would no longer be necessary an labor intensive. have had a lot of 2 piece leos and no complaint here. the vx11 is what it is a good 3.x9 all around scope . have had a 3x9 efr on a win52 since --well-- maybe to far back that is used extensively
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic