OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

savage 10fp hs??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigpapa4045 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: savage 10fp hs??
    Posted: September/05/2007 at 21:32

hey there i had a few q's about the savage 10fp hs

well im looking to be shooting out to 1000 yards and i was wondering if this firearm will do so in a .308 and what type of optivs will do the job at that range without breaking the bank...

thanks

-Shaine-
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2007 at 18:25
bigpapa.........................Looked on the Savage website & could not find that particular model, the 10fp hs.....Is this a heavy barrelled .308 with a 26" barrel?....Need some more specific info.
bigpapa4045 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigpapa4045 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2007 at 18:51

big squeeze thanks for taking a look...

that rifle is under the law enforcement section of the web site..

the address is http://www.savagearms.com/10fphsprecision.htm

if u could take a look and let me know what u think and maybe what this rifle is capable of doing... t

thanks man

-Shaine-
TPS_Phil View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TPS_Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2007 at 19:02

This rifle will got to 1000 with the proper ammo and shooter....

Optics will depend on what you want to spend....

We refuse to compromise our quality for pricing.
100% USA Made.
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2007 at 19:38
bigpapa....................No wonder I couldn`t find it earlier.....Ok! Lets break it down here!......The .308 is probably the most accurate .30 caliber round there is. A superb target round! No problem there at all...................This rifle is an excellent piece of work, very accurate and is at its best for bench target use and or varmit use. It is not the ideal carry in the field hunting rifle by any means. That amount of weight, not including your scope will get very old, very fast, especially on all day hunts, not to mention altitude and terrain. It doesn`t matter how big or strong you may be. So! If by chance you wish to use this as a part time carry hunting rifle, then be prepared for a workout!....Hey! maybe Savage will include a small set of weights to prepare!!!??? LOL!.............Yes! The .308 is a capable shooter at the 1000 yard mark! Though I would prefer the 300 Win. Mag. for 1,000 yard work though...................If you plan only to use this as a long range target or varmit rifle from the bench, then I would go with a 6-24X40 variable. Unfortunately, for quality long range optics, you are going to have to spend a few buckos......Great choices are the Elite 4200 (my personal favorite for the money), the Nikon Monarch, and if you wish to spend more, then the Zeiss. Check those three out on this site. Either one of those three would make an excellent choice for you.....I wonder if that Savage is available in the 300 Win. I will go to the site now and see.   
bigpapa4045 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigpapa4045 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2007 at 07:24

hey there again...whats the hug differents between the 300 and the .308, is the recoil on the 300 mag a big differents compaired to the .308

thanks

-Shaine-
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2007 at 07:56
the 300's recoil is a bit worse yes but thats the price you pay for more oomph, for some reason the 300 win mag i have though is very pleasant to shoot even off the bench.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2007 at 13:17
bigpapa................Like Pyro says, more oooommmph! Given the same bullet weight, (180 gr. for example), given the same barrel length, you are probably gaining an average of around 400 fps. using the 300 Win. Mag. Using the 190 gr. match bullet, about a 300 to 350 fps. increase vs. the .308 Win..............As with anything else, when you gain something somewhere, there will be a detraction, a con, or a loss somewhere else! Yes! More recoil with the 300 Win. However, in a heavy barreled bench rifle, the 300 Win. is not that bad. Remember too, that you can adjust your reloads to create reduced recoil. What you gain in the 300 Win. is flatter trajectory and better down range ballistics in velocity & energy! For that gain, you will use more powder with the 300 Win., than you will use with the .308; a bigger case..............Either way, you will gain benefits while you lose some too......Taking the pros & cons into consideration, my personal preference for long range target work, would still be the 300 Win. Mag................
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic