OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Which SS is the best!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigpapa4045 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which SS is the best!!
    Posted: September/05/2007 at 21:29

Hey there everybody

im new to the forum and i got a couple q's reguarding the super sniper scopes....

which would be best to shoot out to 1000 yards with. the 10x,16x,20x. what kind or view do u get out of each at that distance..... and will the savage 10fp hs in a .308 do the job at that range

thanks alot..hope someone can help me out

-Shaine-
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2007 at 07:42

I would recommend the 10X, it has more all-around utility, much better FOV, and shooting at 1000 yards at 10X is no problem (assuming the shooter, rifle, ammo, and mounts do their job properly.)

You might want to consider a 20MOA base for the .308, it'll give you a little more room to play in the elevation turret.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
bigpapa4045 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigpapa4045 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2007 at 15:01

Thanks for the tip man

i had a few more q's......i guess the q's i ment before was does the 10x have enuff zoom for 1000 yards...im a beginner at this soo bare with me on this....and how does anyone have a savage 10fp with the hs stock? if soo what type of range can i get out of that.

thank

-Shaine-
SoonerShooter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoonerShooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2007 at 20:48

First off i would recommend trying to hit the black on 100, 250 and 500 Yard shots.  Master those first before you go for the coveted 1000 Yd. Shot.  I know many people that tried the 1000 Yd. first, and ended up quitting because they didnt quite understand the basics first.  1000 Yds for beginners... I wouldnt recommend, i know some pro shooters that have a tough time with 1000 yd shots.  Be realistic at first, get your 100 yd down, then go for 250 Yd... when you can get tight groups of 4 then move out to 500.. and I can assure you, unless you are blessed from the Gods of shooting, will keep your hands full for the next year...

Again.. be realistic.

Happy Hunting!

JS

If we are kept in an information rich environment then there is no excuse for stupidity. Therefore being kept abreast of such info, let us resort to the one thing we no to do best... DRINK MORE BEER!
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoonerShooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2007 at 20:54

Sorry i guess i could have been a little more explainatory... First off the Savage you describe, is easily a 1000 yard gun, with proper mounts and rings... (get the badger mounts and 30mm High rings, a little pricey but they get the job done).  Then at shots that long, get ready for some fun.  You have variables such as barometric pressure, wind, time of day..etc. etc.  Remember this is over a half of a mile....   And you guys can hate on me, and say 1000 is short, and that these variables i have listed do not play into a shut until a mile or further out.. well I say... NAY...:oP     that is my buck.03 on that.. do with it what you want.. but to answer your question.. i have a 20x42.. that works quite fine.  Replaced an existing Nikon Tactical that I own, and I actually chose this guy over a NFX (Night Force Optics). 

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter."  -- Ernest Hemingway

If we are kept in an information rich environment then there is no excuse for stupidity. Therefore being kept abreast of such info, let us resort to the one thing we no to do best... DRINK MORE BEER!
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2007 at 06:05
Originally posted by SoonerShooter SoonerShooter wrote:

(get the badger mounts and 30mm High rings, a little pricey but they get the job done). 

Don't you mean "low" rings??

bigpapa4045 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigpapa4045 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2007 at 07:21

hey there again guys

soonershooter...thanks for the info, i guess i cant say im new to target shooting, im only new to the 1000 yard range...iv been in the black with my remington 700 sps .308 at 400 yards but thats just my hunting rifle, but i understand what your saying...buti plan on taking my time when i get my new shooting rifle....i guess i want to asked everyone what type of zoom is great for 1000 yards i mean how close do things look though the SS 10x42,16x42,20x42...thanks again guys

-Shaine-
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoonerShooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2007 at 07:46

No i meant the Max 50 which are 1.125" rings.  i perfer mine to be a little taller. 

here is the link from SWFA's site, but since i live in the KC metro, i am actually driving distance from Badger Ord.  (North Kansas City, MO)

http://www.swfa.com/pc-8324-469-badger-ordnance-max-50-scope -30mm-rings.aspx

They are pricey, but you know they are matched when you get them and make sure you get a mount as well if you buy them!   Dont make the mistake i made and try to mount them on a standard Weaver mount.

Anyway, NP Shaine, didnt know for sure about what experience you had.  Not that i am an expert or anything, and not that I was trying to sound condesending either.  I have seen a couple of buddies of mine go for the 1000 right away, only to give up because they couldnt make that shot. 

I have a fixed 20x42 as i have already said... its great at distances of 100, 250, 500 and i even acquired a target out to 1000 yds with it (I missed terribly, i didnt even hit the white... )  at 1000 it looked like i had a field of veiw of about 10' or so (cant quite tell, again i am no professional)  but i did notice with the 20x things closer seemed a bit fuzzier (which is natural) I have a Nikon Tactical that I use for my closer shots and a center point (cheapo from Wally World) that i use when i take it out for hunting things like deer, prarie dogs and coyotes.

Call and talk to the guys at SWFA, from what I hear they are quite helpful and will steer you in the right direction.  I had already done the research on mine which is why I chose the 20x42 SS they shipped it fast, and answered my question right away!    Your on the right path brother! 

Sounds like you are good to go!

later all!

"With Malice and hatred toward all.... let them eat cake!!!"

JS

Edited by SoonerShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2007 at 08:34

PAPA, I'd still recommend LOW Badger rings with that set up.

The high Max 50's are too high for a proper cheek weld with that rifle's stock.

Here's my rig using Badger Standard's and a 20 MOA Badger rail.

The Max 50's recommended by Sooner are over kill for a .308 as well.

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=3757&KW=ch eaptrick+groups

http://www.swfa.com/pc-8319-469-badger-ordnance-maximized-sc ope-30mm-rings.aspx

Edited by cheaptrick
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoonerShooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2007 at 08:52

im also 6'4'' tall, maybe that is why the highs work good for me?  but then again, maybe that is why i miss at 1000 yds too? 

Either way, Badger Ordnance is the way to go.  The high's seem much more comfortable for me though.

Happy Hunting.

JS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2007 at 09:02

Well, I should have used the term that "typically" most shooters prefer the Standard Badger rings.....

Another good choice of ring, plus a little cheaper, is the Burris Extreme Tactical ring.

http://www.swfa.com/c-633-burris-xtreme-tacitcal-30mm-rings. aspx

Our resident expert shooter here Mike McDonald used these rings with a Savage rifle and a SS with WICKED accuracy!! 

TPS rings are also a killer option and about half the price of the coveted Badger Ord. gear.

http://www.tacticalprecision.com/TSR%20Scope%20Rings.htm

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoonerShooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2007 at 12:54

LOL... Sorry man I am an Okie transplanted to the KC area so i have been bitten by the badger so to speak....

Actually im about to pick up a set of Burris Extreme Tactical rings to try out on my FN, i have some Steygr BS that i have to keep adjusting for it.  How does the burris hold up?  Are they pretty good? (im bidding on a set on your ebay site)

Thanks!!

JS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2007 at 13:03

You never have to apologize about recommending Badger gear!!

TOP shelf stuff. Marty @ Badger is a classy guy too.

The Burris are supposed to be good to go.

Mr. Mike shot this using them and a 10x SS @ 100 yards........   

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=5609&KW=Mi ke+Mcdonald

(You tell me...)

RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2007 at 15:56
 At 1000 yards mirage is a deal-breaker.  Most often new shooters go with too much magnification.  In my  experience that mistake always causes more problems than it solves. I would go with the 10x and the lowest rings that will mount up without interference.  Incidently I once ran the line on a regional Palma match and watched a highly skilled young lady shoot a relay at 1000 yards, putting 15 consecutive shots into the "10" and the "X" rings. From the prone position. Sling only. No rest of any sort. Iron (Warner) aperture sights. NO MAGNIFICATION.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoonerShooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2007 at 17:16

Ronk,

No offense but I have to call B.S. on the lady hitting a 1000 yard target at 1000 yards without any optical help.  Think about what you are saying.  Unless the 10 and the X were say some where around 3' tall and 3' wide, she wouldnt be able to make them out without telescopic assistance.  3000 Ft.  Go out and range something at 3000 ft.  Then think about what you just said.  I highly doubt that any "Skilled" person, young or old woulde be able to hit 2 consecutive shots in a small group at 1000 yards, yet alone hitting 15 conescutive shots in two groups all with out optical help or as you say with Iron Sites.  And to even add that she did it with sling only.. no rest from prone?  Again, think about what you just said..err.. typed.

Not trying to be disrespectful... 1000 ft?  Maybe... 1000 yds?  No Way! 

later!

JS

Edited by SoonerShooter
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoonerShooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2007 at 17:22

http://www.6mmbr.com/page/page/1309618.htm 

Here is the world record 4.2" 10 grouping for 1000 yards.. notice he does have a scope.

Again, Think about what you just said.

Later.

JS

Edited by SoonerShooter
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2007 at 17:28
Originally posted by SoonerShooter SoonerShooter wrote:

Ronk,

No offense but I have to call B.S. on the lady hitting a 1000 yard target at 1000 yards without any optical help.  Think about what you are saying.  Unless the 10 and the X were say some where around 3' tall and 3' wide, she wouldnt be able to make them out without telescopic assistance.  3000 Ft.  Go out and range something at 3000 ft.  Then think about what you just said.  I highly doubt that any "Skilled" person, young or old woulde be able to hit 2 consecutive shots in a small group at 1000 yards, yet alone hitting 15 conescutive shots in two groups all with out optical help or as you say with Iron Sites.  And to even add that she did it with sling only.. no rest from prone?  Again, think about what you just said..err.. typed.

Not trying to be disrespectful... 1000 ft?  Maybe... 1000 yds?  No Way! 

later!

JS

Sooner Shooter, I know exactly what I said. PALMA MATCH.  Do a search and educate yourself on the sport before you call me out.  I never said she was shooting at a postage stamp.  The target used is sized for shooters using iron sights under conditions in which a light crosswind will drift a bullet several feet.  IIRC the 10 ring is about 20 inches across, and the X-ring maybe 10 inches. Sounds pretty big? Try it sometime... 

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoonerShooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2007 at 18:14

I stand corrected!  Never heard of Palma Matches before this.  Im a little jumpy because i have heard too many people say they hit 1000 and 1100 yard 1" groupings with iron sites.  In the age of internet there are too many ready made (FAKE) soldiers (that have read real peoples expereince and made up their own stories) and all that.  So i am a bit Jaded.

U would be suprised as to how many people i have run into that claimed to be either Snipers, SEAL operators, Recon Marines or Army Ranger/Special Forces. 

Sorry for calling your card on that one.

Later..

JS

Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2007 at 18:46

Some months back Chris did a Savage 10FP in an HS Precision PST stock, using a SS 10X rear parallax and Burris low rings.

Perfect set up for the way I shoot.

Hadno issues at all holding moa at 1000 yards on a calm day with Black Hills 175 grain ammunition.

Somewhere there's a write up and link to the now defunct GB auction on that particular rifle, along with test target. I think Brady posted it.

Mike

Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2007 at 18:56

Sooner shooter,

know your the knewbie but you have to be careful about calling folks out without facts

Some people here don't say much but produce decent results at distance.

This group is three shots into 1 5/8 inches from 1000 yards.

It was not point of aim so I don't count it as a decent group.  Notice the red disk, and the silver spot at bottom center. That s the last two shots after a sight correction.

This group is 3 aimed shots with impact at point of aim.

I can cover those shots with a quarter, and I'm just an old blind fat guy.

Having one of the Palma chicks dump 22 rounds into a 12 inch circle with open sights in the norm if your name is Gallagher.  Bad news is that there are three of them 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic