OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

help which moounts newbe

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke7581 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: help which moounts newbe
    Posted: September/05/2007 at 21:27

hey guys this will be my first scope i've mounted i have a 7mm win. model 70 and am going to be putting a 4200 4x16x50 on it which mounts and size do you guys reccomend.

RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2007 at 22:47

You have a good rifle and a good scope there. Don't skrimp on cheap bases and rings. That said, you don't need to spend a fortune either. I have always gotten good results with Redfield, Leupold, Weaver, Burris and recently Badger mounts.The Badgers are heavy, military-duty, high precision mounts in a class by themselves.

They are probably a bit on the heavy side for most hunting rifles though. The Weavers are light but quite strong for their weight, and priced right. Some of their ring styles only have screws on one side, which causes the scope tube to rotate slightly as you tighten the top half of the ring down. This can be rather annoying, until you figure out how far to rotate it in the other direction, before you tighten the screws.

It seems that for years many knowledgable shooters around here (Wisconsin) chose the Leupold /Redfield windage-adjustable ring-base systems with good results, but they are not to be recommended if you need to remove or swap scopes from one rifle to another. The Weaver/Picatinny slotted bases systems really shine in that regard. Burris makes good stuff too, in both the Weaver and the Leupold/Redfield styles. One really nice feature of the Burris Signature series rings is an ingenius bushing that allows perfect scope tube alignment despite any irregularities which may be present in the rifle's contour, etc.

You should check out the Accessories & Mounts page on the SWFA store site to get a feel for the basic style you think you like and then ask more specific questions here to narrow down your choice. Good luck!

DEAD_BEAT View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DEAD_BEAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2007 at 22:57

for that setup i would go with the dual dovetail rings and bases either luepold orthe burris with the incerts i have the luepolds on my Remington LSS 300 rum and they have held up great the burris on a 308 win. no problem . i would stay away from the aluminum but that just me

JIM

JIM
duke7581 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke7581 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2007 at 17:23
thanks guys my dad is also getting a new scope the 2.5x10 4200 for a win. mod.70 264 and should he get the same as me or is there a different one hoping to get of work tom. early enough to order everything from swfa.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2007 at 17:55

I am going to really stick my neck out here by suggesting that all else being equal, your dad can probably use low rings while you may have to go with medium or high rings because of the 50 mm objective bell on your scope. A lot depends on the system you choose and the barrel contour of your respective firearms. It is usually preferable to mount as low as possible so you don't have to raise your head off the stock to see through the darn thing. It is good to try out a couple different height rings to see what works the best for you. Don't settle for less than a perfect fit. There are way too many good options available to compromise your setup. If a big objective bell forces you to mount high, put a cheek-pad on the stock to obtain cheekweld.  This is absolutely critical to fast and accurate field marksmanship.

bigant View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2007 at 18:35

Try this from Leupold....You can look for your weapon and find a scope thats 1" and is 50mm and it'll tell you what to get.....plus give you parts number if you decide to go with Leupold base and mounts.

http://www2.leupold.com/resources/MountFitChart/default.asp

A

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic