OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Swarovski comparison

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swarovski comparison
    Posted: September/05/2007 at 20:43

Other than the larger tube why does the Swarovski 1.7-10x42 Z6 30mm  (59215) cost $1668 while the Swarovski 3-10x42 American 1" (52027) costs $998?  Both with the TDS-Plex reticle.

I've checked the website and can only see some slight variations in the specifications.

ND2000 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ND2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2007 at 20:58
Crna -

There are a couple of reasons for the price difference:

1 - You correctly point out the larger tube diameter, which allows for greater adjustment range.

2 - The 6x zoom capabilities with the Z6 relative to the 3x on the American. 

3 - Optically, the Z6 series is simply better. The FOV and resolution is incredible. I can honestly say the particular Z6 that you mention is the finest scope I have looked through from a purely optical perspective.  This is after looking at Zeiss Diavari, Schmidt & Bender, and Kahles CL.

ND2000
You either get what you pay for or what you deserve.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2007 at 21:09

Welcome crna, and good question!

First, the 1.7-10X42 Z6 has a 6X zoom factor erector assembly, which means that it offers a 6X magnification multiple from lowest to highest power setting (1.7 X 6 = 10.2).  It is supposedly difficult to make this work mechanically without serious optical tradeoffs like tunnel vision on the lower powers, but Swaro has evidently addressed these issues very well in the Z6 scopes.  Besides the obvious greater magnification range, the greater zoom range gives it increased field of view on the low end compared to competing scopes with the same upper end power.  Swaro's PH/PV series 30mm scopes have 4X zoom erectors (i.e. 1.5 - 6X, 2.5-10X, etc.), while the 1" American (AV series) scopes have 3X zoom.  I've heard some reports that the Z6 is also optically superior to their other scopes, but if so, they must have achieved that through something like a different objective lens design, because all Swaros reportedly use the same glass and coatings. 

I also suspect that the greater competition from much lesser-priced 1" scopes has also helped to keep the cost of the AV series scopes down, as well as similar 1" scopes from Kahles and Zeiss (though the Zeiss Conquest doesn't use the same lens coatings as their 30mm scopes and it also benefits from the fact it's assembled in the US, which means no added import duties).

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2007 at 21:10
Sorry to parrot what you already said, ND2000.  You and I were typing our posts at the same time.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2007 at 21:14
even easier --- the z6 is twice the scope
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2007 at 07:38
Which is amazing since the 1" looks great.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
gozarian View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gozarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2007 at 15:07
Dale, do you own a Z6 or have you just compared one? I am seriously thinking of getting a Z6 rail scope for my custom built 300 Ultra Mag, but was waiting to hear from someone who had had a "hands on"! 
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2007 at 16:09
had a chance to compare the 2.5x10 diavari (current-my old z is a piece of kakka) a 1.5x10 z6 and vx7 leo side by side for 600 rds, 200 in each on ar platforms for a day. used hands on in a 3 gun match set which included low light and all exercises were timed yada, yada. pretty hands on or at least it tells me what I wanted to know. the z6 is inanother class. proably the best hunting scope there is, light trim, tds works, my only reservation is I'm waiting for someone to tell me I'm crazy and the turrets are plastic. even at that I'm still at the point of getting one. If that's ok with you --get one. really disappointed in the zeiss and the vx7 was alot better than I expected. wont say things like the leo kicked its ass because I know how these things start controversy.
ND2000 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ND2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2007 at 16:28
Dale -

I totally agree with you on the Z6 (although not the VX7 ).  I also think the Z6 is the best scope optically on the market today.  My only reservations with not getting one (I recently got a Kahles CL instead) were a) the wire recticle construction and b) I worry about early-model "production" issues. I have a strong preference for etched glass.  I still have a rifle that needs a scope...the 1.7-10x42 may look just perfect on it in 2008!

ND2000
You either get what you pay for or what you deserve.
gozarian View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gozarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2007 at 01:15
Dale, thanks for the advice, it will be between a Kahles CL and the Swarovski Z6!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic