OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

zeiss conquest vs kahles kx

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: zeiss conquest vs kahles kx
    Posted: September/05/2007 at 17:10
i am thinking about a new scope, money is a little tight right now, so do i buy the zeiss in haste or do i save up for a while longer and spend the extra for the kahles, how much difference optically are we talking between the two, looking at a 3x9 of course.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2007 at 17:20

To me, the Kahles is worth the extra $150, but you aren't exactly compromised by going with the Conquest.  The optical difference isn't huge, but I think Kahles has noticeably better resolution than Conquest.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2007 at 17:22
i suppose the cs dept on both sides are pretty good?
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
ND2000 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ND2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2007 at 17:39

Pyro6999 -

I have been fortunate enough to look through both of those in evening/dusk conditions.  You will like the Kahles better, I assure you.  It's worth saving up for.

Regarding customer service, I don't own any Zeiss products so I haven't dealt with them.  I would presume that Kahles (owned by Swarovski), is good in that department, given the owner.

ND2000

You either get what you pay for or what you deserve.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2007 at 17:42
Have never used Zeiss's CS, so can't comment on it, but I've not heard any horror stories about it.  I have used Kahles CS only once when I had the rubber armor changed out on a pair of their binos and they treated me very well and responded promptly.  Both are quality companies with great reputations, so I personally wouldn't worry about either.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2007 at 17:47
i was looking for a negative check mark for one of them some where the only one i can come up with is they both cost more than i can afford
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2007 at 18:07
If you really want a Kahles, you should save up and buy a Kahles.  On the other hand, if money is truly tight perhaps you should consider something along the lines of Elite 4200 3-9x40, to be replaced with the Kahles when you can afford it.

ILya
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2007 at 18:24
well ilya if you and rifledude think that kahles is a better choice i will save up my sheckels thanks
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2007 at 20:19
Anything I suggest is always based on what I would buy if it were my money and I was presented with the same options.  As your friend, I would hate to think I talked you into spending your hard earned money on something that creates a financial hardship for you.  While I honestly think Kahles is the superior scope, if possible, I would highly suggest you find someplace local that would allow you to compare various scopes outside so you can decide for yourself whether the optical advantage offered by a given scope is worth the price tag to you.  Again, the Conquest is certainly no slouch, and for that matter, neither is the Elite 4200 as ILya mentioned.
Ted

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2007 at 20:25
to bad i dont have any place like that within an hour's drive! i am going out of town this weekend to a bigger store that may have them will have to check them out.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
TheDrakeTaker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDrakeTaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2007 at 12:46
I would recommend getting a Kahles KX off of the samplelist but they don't have much of a selection on there right now.  I definitely second the motion to save up for the Kahles, it will be well worth it and you will be extremely happy with it.
Robert
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2007 at 15:23

pyro -

either would be great - the kahles gets my vote -

i wouldn't worry about the CS, as i have never sent back a conquest (i beat them up too), and my cousin's kahles C, is tough as nails.

if you are on a tight budget - the elite 4200 or the monarch UCC's are really good for the money - i would put them in line w/ the conquest.

kahles gets the nod.  but none of the afformentioned scopes would give me worries in the field.

a point to ponder...........if lowlight is a concern, i would get the conquest or kahles w/ the #4 reticle. it'll help you more than most people think!!!

be good.

J

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2007 at 16:12
i have a monarch, so are you telling me that the conquest isnt really all that much better?? i realize that the whole cs thing is a no brainer since nikons cs apparently sucks. but if you are telling me that the monarch i already own is optically close to a conquest then i would definetly say i would go with the kahles.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2007 at 16:29

I can only speak for a couple of the 30mm scopes, but the Kahles are built like a tank and the optics are excellent. My brothers 3-9 Conquest doesn't seem to offer much more than the Monarch or Elite, a little but not enough to be concernred with while hunting. The Conquest doesn't compare to the Kahles and the KX has the same coating as the C's.

Good luck with your choice.

Doug

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2007 at 16:38
i went and looked at the sample list and i have a question, is there any difference between the kx and the american hunter??
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2007 at 17:16
bigant View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2007 at 18:16

One factory that you need to keep in mind. Is where does the optic company get its componants from?  Since the Euro vs Dollar is greatly in favor of the Euro....So there goes why the Conquest is about 100-150.00 more than the 4200 and Nikon Monarchs.....I looked thorough both the 4200 and Conquest and really couldnt tell a difference. However in lowlight is where majority of people say the advantage is(Per Sales Rep)....

I'm in the process of purchasing a Optic and since this will be the most expensive one that I'll buy and use....I want to make sure to choose the best Value to Dollar ratio that I can.  Since, soon as you receive a optic and you dont like you'll most likely loss money selling it or sometype of exchange.

A

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2007 at 18:35

No worries with the Zeiss CS dept. I sent back a Conquest that puked and they turned it around fairly quickly.

Less than 2 weeks I had a new scope.

Edited by cheaptrick
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2007 at 18:46
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

No worries with the Zeiss CS dept. I sent back a Conquest that puked and they turned it around fairly quickly.

Less than 2 weeks I had a new scope.

A new replacement, I would say that's excellent CS.

Doug

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2007 at 19:23
well if the ah and the kx are comparable i may just buy one off the samplelist.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic