OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Opinions wanted

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Booshway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Opinions wanted
    Posted: September/04/2007 at 21:43
New to the forums , but I have read many threads lately.
I was fortunate enough to have  recently won a Remington 700CDL in 7mm Mag  and I am looking to purchase a new scope for this rifle.

I hunt Primarily in West Texas and have possible targets out to 400 to 500 yds and further .  To date my longest shot on an animal  has been approx 320 yds. (30-06 with old Bushnell Sportview Range finder model) This rifle will be primarily be used for deer and hogs, I am not sure if the 7mag is feasable for varmints. Possibly New Mexico or Colorado Elk trip. I have always hunted with cheaper variable power scopes and I am having  hard time not looking at the variables again out of habit. After some research here it seems as if I could get more scope for the money by going to a fixed power. I am unfortunately budgeted to around $300.00

I am sort of fond of the target turrets and Mildot type reticle that allow dialing in, but this will not be a target rifle so to speak.
I have read quite a bit about the Super Sniper but I am not sure how well they would be in lower light conditions.

any sage advice  would be appreciated
Aim at nothing and you will surely hit it.
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2007 at 00:26

Booshway..........You have an excellent long range rifle there!! So you need to scope it properly to match the long range capabilities of the 7MM Magnum. If your targets, as you say, are 400 or 500 yards out, a fixed 4X may not be enough for deer or hogs. A higher fixed power will be too much for shorter range work......With a variable, you have the best of both worlds. A 2.5 or 3x on the low end for the shorter ranges and higher magnifications for the longer ranges. Your best choice for optimum versatility is a variable on that Remington...............I have peered through many scopes in all price ranges for comparison. Since your budget is at the $300 max. price point & if you have read my previous posts, you know as do all the other veterans on this site, exactly which scope I`m going to strongly recommend and why.........It`s not a matter of personal bias, although it can be because I own one. It`s just a matter of fact as to the best value for the dollar!............IMH and very experienced opinion, based on it`s features and benefits in excellent optics, durability, and construction, the 3X9 Bushnell Elite 4200 with the Rainguard, at $259 on this site, IS the best value on the market for the money. No other scope will equal the 3x9 Elite 4200 for $300 or less!! None!..... The 4200`s optics slightly betters the more expensive VX111 Leupold, equals or betters the Nikon Monarch and comes extremely close, in brightness only, to the more expensive Zeiss Conquest. The 4200 is just as clear and resolute as the Zeiss Conquest.. Add on the patented Rainguard, which really works, keeping the lenses crystal clear IN ANY weather situation. You`ll never miss a shot due to any weather. That`s quite an insurance policy! This scope will withstand thousands of rounds of 375 H&H recoil too!........You`ve got it all with this scope plus a lifetime of excellent service!.... You`ll have $41 left over too to buy some ammo, take your honey to lunch or to a cheapy dinner!!......Do yourself a favor. Look through the 4200. It is the`07 Outdoor Life Magazine, Editors choice winner!!! ..I have friends with $800 & more Kahles, Zeiss` & Swaros that I shoot with who have used my 300 WSM, who have said; "YOU PAID ONLY WHAT????       

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2007 at 00:45
424164M Bushnell 4-16x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope                                                                                 Bushnell 4-16x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Multi-X
  • 1"
  • Rainguard
  • Adjustable Objective
  • Free 5" Sun Shade w/ Purchase
SWFA: $389.95
More Info... Buy Now
8420 New Nikon 3-12x42 Monarch Riflescope                                                                                    New Nikon 3-12x42 Monarch Riflescope
  • Matte
  • BDC
  • 1"
  • Side Focus
  • Free SWFA Lens Pen w/ Purchase
SWFA: $429.95
More Info... Buy Now
8422 New Nikon 4-16x42 Monarch Riflescope                                                                                    New Nikon 4-16x42 Monarch Riflescope
  • Matte
  • BDC
  • 1"
  • Side Focus
  • Free SWFA Lens Pen w/ Purchase
SWFA: $449.95
More Info... Buy Now
I know these are a little more but I think you would be happier with one of these variables in the long run. The SS in a 10x is a great scope but for long range hunting a 4-16 is awesome.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2007 at 01:07
Some of my last posted remarks, also apply here too. Go with the 4x16 Elite for $389, if you can handle the extra cost!!
Booshway View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Booshway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2007 at 07:57
Thanks guys, I have been considering the Bushnell 4-16x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope, I think I needed someone to suggest it.

One of my newly established blinds overlooks a right of way that goes up the side of a fairly steep hill. This particular spot was just re-cleared this spring and has really opened it up to the potential for a long shot.

Other hunting spots on the same property will barely afford a 100yd shot, so variable it will be. Now I will be researching the rings and mounting info I have seen here.

Aim at nothing and you will surely hit it.
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2007 at 19:43
ditto on the 4200..I have one on a Browning 300 Ultramag Stainless Stalker  for a couple of years now and it has performed perfectly.
storm2844 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm2844 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2007 at 20:25

leupold if you can VXII or VXIII. take a bushnell 4200 and a VXII hold them side by side then breeth on the optics with your breath and see which one clears faster. the the vx's will clear up twice as fast therefor are far better in damp conditions or weather changes they are also more compact and lighter the vxIII's also has index matched lenses which cannot be said for bushnell. try them at the store outside at dusk. in the store they all look the same

or go with ziess or kahles a good rule to live by is spend as much on your scope as you gun is worth

800 doller gun needs a 800 doller scope

good luck

jay
storm2844 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm2844 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2007 at 20:36

when looking for a scope you also want good eye relief, bushnell really lacks in this catagory.

you also want fast focus. they should have a dummy gun at the store were you can put a scope onto via rubber insert. shoulder it several times with different scopes to see which one comes into focus more naturally and faster

holding scopes in your hands and looking through them does not give you a good indication if eye relief and how fast it will focus.

jay
storm2844 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm2844 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2007 at 20:38

look at burris fullfields and signature selects these are also very good scopes for the money

and of course conquest. do youself a favor and save up the extra cash and get something at the high end

dont just settle on a 300 dollor scope. get what you feel most comfortable with.

Edited by storm2844
jay
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2007 at 00:40
storm2844...............I couldn`t disagree with you more on the credibility of the breath test as you described!!!! First of all, condensation from warm breath will fog any lens. Which one clears up faster or dissipates the effects of warm breath faster, has absolutely nothing to do with actual conditions in the field with regard to damp conditions or weather changes!Condensation from one`s warm breath on a scope lens vs. condensation from the much colder elements on a scope lens are two totally different venues & cannot be compared in any way to one another. The physics are different!!!.......The Rainguard on the 4200 does work and will do the job in any weather. I`ll stack a 4200 against any VX11 or VX111 in the field, under any weather condition & under any low light condition. I will also stack a 4200 against any VX11 or VX111  for optic quality in resolution and clarity...... I owned a VX11 & have experience with a friend`s VX111. I have years of experience with the Leupold. I have been in the field with a friend who has a Conquest. The Zeiss is barely brighter, but it is no clearer and has no better resolution than the Elite........Have you personally, ever used a 4200 in the field? If so, under what weather conditions?..........I shoot a light weight compact Ruger 300 WSM, which will have greater felt recoil than the 1st poster`s full sized 7MM Rem. magnum. No stitches or scars near my left eye! Not even close! A previous poster on this thread with an Elite 4200 mounted on his Browning 300 RUM, did not report any eye relief issues either. The Bushnell Elite, I will grant you has shorter eye relief. But is not as you say "really lacks." The truth is, that while the eye relief is shorter, it`s not enough to create havoc with Elite owners..........Guess what! The Elite 4200`s have fast focus!!! Did you know that? My Elite 4200 has a fast focus on the eye piece. Yep! Came that way right out of the box!! Works great too!...............The real true test of a scope`s performance, in the categories of optics, construction and durability, is not performing a warm breath test on it`s lens. The real true test is how it performs in the field under all hunting conditions!!!!.............I`ll go a step further and even ask this question to all Elite 4200 owners reading this thread and get their response. "Have any of you, ever had a problem with the Rainguard 4200 lens in any weather? Any distortions? Any fogging? Moisture problems? Ever lose a shot opportunity because of the 4200`s lenses?. Any eye relief problems? Any scars near your eyes?...........Everyone has their opinions & thats fine. However, personal experience is the best teacher, not opinions formed without personal experience!!  
storm2844 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm2844 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2007 at 10:03

hit a nerve did i sorry i didn't mean to upset you that much. wow. i have had lots of experence with both 1st was on a 7mm rm with a B&L4200 3-9x50 (the old bushnell) didn't have any probs with it long time ago though.

although with my custom 700p 308 win that i use for precision target shooting and silhouette. it started off with a 4200 4-16x50ao this thing was a monster made the gun top heavy clarity was fine but that dam eye relief thing and the way you have to have your head exactly perfect all the time to see though the thing drove me nuts. so i swapped it out for another on this time a 4200 6-24x40ao (mostly for the smaller size long though) this scope was even worse though for fast focus and head positioning. so i swapped it out for a leo in vxII 6-18x40ao and never looked back. i also hunt with a tikka t3 lite in 338 win mag (mmm more kick than a 300 wsm) the 4200 4-16x50ao on it for a while but again to top heavy and wanted more eye relief so i put a vxII 3-9x40 oh and i didn't have any problems hunting with it here in canada no fogging no distortion even in -30 degree cel. weather wes it gets really cold here. truck to cold truck to cold.nothing i couldn't get that vxII to fog mmm but then my buddy with a 4200 on his would fog either. so they both must be doing there job. u kinda hit on my credibility about i spend approx about 250-300 hrs a year starring down a scope at targets far away. i burn out a barrel a year in my 308 thats about 6000 rounds fired a year

how much time do you stare down a scope a year. + i hunt in extreme weather contitions i also work part time in a gun store selling guns + scopes and i hear first hand from many hunters target shooters etc there preferences. and bushnell is never a long topic of conversation. i used to hate the leo line but after actually using them i have come to like them the best for mid price range scopes.this is only my opinion though. bushnell does make a good product for the price they are a good hunting scope they will do there job they will keep the rain and fog off there lenses but there are not the hear all see all of rifle scopes as you seem and make them out to be,in this game you get what you pay for. and i wander why most profesional shooters use scopes other than bushnell or why bushnell has never won any military contracs. oh and fog is fog and condensation is condensation it doesnt matter were it comes from.

anyway it is all personal preference if you like your bushnell ,tasco ,kahles ,leo, whatever and are happy with it then thats all that matters.

piece.

jay
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2007 at 14:41
storm2844...............No! You did not hit any nerves, nor was I upset. I enjoy responding to people who I don`t neccessarily agree with! It`s fun..........As you know, the Bushnell`s of old are not the same as they are today! Different ballgame!!..........In looking at the dimensions and weight of the 4200`s vs. the VX111`s, as far as the 3x9`s are concerned (my scope), there is not that much difference to ponder over. Of course the 4-16X50 is a big scope, most of them are, in any brand of scope! You like those big 50mm objectives! I prefer the 40`s............The eye relief dept. & any problems thereof, involves many things; actual eye relief of the scope, head positioning, recoil, etc. In my last post, I mentioned that the 4200`s eye relief was shorter but not enough to cause a collision with your head. It appears that your problem with the Elite was more with your head positioning when looking through the scope. That too is understandable. Eliminating that problem for some comes with  practice. For me, my head position when I look through the scope at the range or on a hunt falls right into place every time without jockeying my head around before the shot. Enough practice for some will eliminate that problem and proper head positioning will become second nature. ..............Disagreements are exactly that, and are not designed to purposely hit on on one`s credibility. That was not my intention! Try not to mix the two!.................You certainly fire more rounds on a yearly basis than I do. I don`t  burn a barrel out every year either. LOL! However, after 35 years of hunting, 45 years of range work and thousands of rounds, I really don`t need to shoot as much as you. But, I do spend enough time with my rifle at home, on the range and on hunts, practicing the various shooting positions. My head positioning & view falls right into place with the 4200!.................No doubt, working in a gun store, will certainly give you enough feedback from hunters and shooters. The reason that Bushnell`s are not long topics of conversation, is because in many hunting and shooting circles, they have a poor reputation. The quality in the past, was certainly inferior. As a result, many hunters & shooters over time have difficulty considering the Bushnell. They automatically associate the name "Bushnell" with poor quality. That is where their minds stay! You know that old saying "you only have one chance to make a good 1st impression." Well! The past Bushnell scopes did not make a good 1st impression,,, because they couldn`t!! Over the past few years, all that has changed because Bushnell recognizes that they need to compete successfully in the marketplace with the Leupolds, Nikons, Zeiss` and so on. For the most part, the 4200`s do exactly that!......... A few on this site and on other distributors sites, which include a scope review section for owners to submit their comments, have stated their preference for the 4200`s over the Leupold`s. Like myself, many were former Leupold owners. With 5 stars being the best possible rating, I have yet to see a 4200 review with less than 5 stars on any site!!! If I`m reading your last post correctly, you even say that your buddy`s 4200, in very cold weather, did not fog up!.............The Bushnell Elite 4200`s are not as you say "the hear all & see all" of rifle scopes. I agree with you. I never said they were. The original poster wished to keep his price at $300 or less. That was my focus here! However, there is a growing contingency out there, that cannot be ignored, to make the case that the 4200`s, for the money spent, offer more than Leupolds and perhaps others.............I don`t consider winning or not winning a military contract, to be any determining factor as to what scope I place on my rifle. We certainly don`t know what is going on behind the scenes, IF anything at all, between Bushnell and the military...........Dave Watson, a professional hunter & TV host on the Outdoor Channel, in one of his episodes, used a .375 Ruger on a safari in Africa to hunt leopard. Guess what scope he had on that .375!!! Yep! The Elite 4200! There are other episodes where the 4200`s have been used. Also, there are a few articles that I have read where authors & other pro hunters have used the 4200 (mounted on their big bore, heavy recoiling rifles) all over the world, including the most dangerous of big game...........True! Condensation is condensation and it does not matter where it comes from! However, it`s after affects on a scope lens are very different depending on the weather situation and its extremes!...............In summary, your only complaints concerning the 4200 are two. Head positioning & eye relief! I can certainly understand that. The 4200 is certainly not for everyone. Likewise, the Leupolds & others cannot please everyone either! It is all a matter of self preference!...........The 4200 is perhaps the most under rated scope on the market. And certainly, the Elite 4200 is haunted by Bushnell`s past reputation. But as more time passes, Bushnell`s reputation, especially with their Elite line, will undoubtedly get much better. The marketplace & past poor reputations cannot change overnight. It takes years!........As I previously stated, the 4200 was the 2007 Editors Choice winner for Outdoor Life. I can only conclude that there is substantial evidence to support the reasons why.....Perhaps within your circle of friends, neighbors and work enviornment the 4200 is not as popular. With that said, I can assure you that in within other circles, the 4200 is very much gaining in popularity among many shooters and even the professionals as well........................... 
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2007 at 16:00
Storm2844............By the way, I have a Nikon Monarch too. A 2.5-8 x 28 variable UCC, EER. That one is used on my Ruger Frontier 300 WSM compact rifle as a scout scope mounted on the barrel forward of the action.........The 4200 is mounted conventionally on that same rifle. I switch them out as my hunting or range needs dictate.........I have no loyalties to Bushnell or any manufacturer. I simply go after the biggest bang for the buck! Besides, there was & is no Elite scope, rifle or handgun, that has the proper eye relief necessary for a scout scope............I`m also willing to bet that compact rifles, among your hunting & shooting clientele, aren`t too popular in your gun store either...LOL!....I just love being in the minority, the underdog & outside the average or normal thinking box....................... 
storm2844 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm2844 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2007 at 16:28

lol u make alot of good points. but it all comes down to personel opinions i was just at the gun store again today looking at scopes for my new rem cdl sf in 300wsm i looked at bushnell leupold and burris and FOR ME the leupold works best. i liked the burris signature select also but again eye focus work the best with leopold .i myself dont like 50 mm objectives those are just what i had at the time. and ya you are right there arent many here that have the ruger frontier the store were i work doesnt even carry the frontier we carry the compact though and dont sell to many of them exept to the younger and women. anyways advise for the guy that started this thread GO TO THE STORE TRY THEM ALL OUT IN YOUR PRICE RANGE OUTSIDE  AT DUSK ON A DUMMY GUN and pick the one that you like the best.

jay
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2007 at 16:34

The 3-9x40 4200 for $260 is a steal and will serve your hunting purposes well. It will look and balance nicely on your stick and the optics are right there with Monarch, Conquest and VX-III.

http://www.swfa.com/pc-7280-185-bushnell-3-9x40-elite-4200-r ifle-scope.aspx

Good luck,

Doug

GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2007 at 16:54
Yeah! I had a feeling that the scout compacts, Ruger or otherwise, weren`t too popular at your store. My instinct was correct. After all the positive articles I`ve read on compacts including the Ruger Frontier, I`m somewhat surprised that you don`t have more requests for them...........The Frontier was nominated for the 2005 Guns & Ammo rifle of the year. It came in second place though! After using a full sized 300 Win. Vanguard for 35 years, I am now a big compact fan. I`m also impressed with the Remington Model 7`s and the Savage Sierra`s.
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2007 at 17:06
Tahqua................As I mentioned in my longer previous post to,, storm2844,,the 4200 won`t satisfy everyone. Eye relief & head positioning can be a minus factor for some. For him & others a Leupold is better.................Who knows, maybe the originator of this thread may choose a Leupold, a 4200 or something else.
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2007 at 17:11

The 3-9 Elite just looks right to me disregarding it's optical qualities. It belongs on a good hunting rifle. I can't think of a better buy out there since the Monarch change over sale.

Doug

GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2007 at 17:29
Tahqua................If you have read all of my posts, you know, that there is perhaps no bigger a fan than me when it comes to the Elite 4200. I`m in total agreement......It is the best buy out there in relation to what you receive in return. Grrrrreat optics, durability, construction and the Rainguard too.......Even the new Monarch might be hard pressed to match the Elite`s benefit to dollar ratio. 
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2007 at 17:34

During the sale at SWFA I picked up the 3-9 Nikon for under $230 which is fantastic and my 2-7 came in at around $200. Thirty bucks more for the 3-9 Elite at regular pricing is still the best deal out there and I wouldn't put the 3-9 Conquest ahead of it by any means.

Doug

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic