OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

QR Scope Mounts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MWLeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: QR Scope Mounts
    Posted: September/04/2007 at 20:11
I wanted to mount a QR system on my TC omega . I purchased a Leupold QR base & High rings . But it does not clear my rear sight. I need open sights for MZ season . And would like to use My omega for MN. slug season . Is there a system out there for this purpose . My Scope is a Nikon Buckmaster 3x9 . Thank you
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2007 at 21:36

I'm gonna guess that you have a rear- mounted peep sight that is giving you the clearance problems? If so, remove it and mount your base.( Hopefully a one-piece base.) Then mount your scope as low as practical. You should try low and medium rings to get the very best cheekweld possible. Then replace your peep sight with a BIUS -type sight for AR-15 type firearms or with a Lyman from Brownell's. Either of these are available to clamp onto a Weaver or Picatinny base.(Which is basically what your Leupold base is, I think.) You can then swap out peep for scope and back again as needed. Or just install a barrel mounted open sight, which is really a step down from a peep.

We need more help here fellas; anybody have any better ideas?

Edited to add that i am assuming A)- that it is a peep and not an open sight that your scope fails to clear and B)- that the base you have on hand is the cross-slot type as opposed to the stud-pin type.

Edited by RONK
MWLeg View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MWLeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2007 at 21:02
The front of the Scope hits the top of my open rear sight on the barrel . I have seen pictures's of omega's with scopes but the rear sight is not present . I'll cheack into the peep sight.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2007 at 18:31
 O.K., my guess was way off base then. The Omegas I have seen that were fitted with open sights seemed to have them plenty far forward to prevent a scope from hitting them, so I surmised your problem was the peep sight. Notwithstanding that, I guess the advice I gave you in my previous post still stands as potentially valid. Let us know how it all works out.
MWLeg View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MWLeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2007 at 16:27
The answer I found , With QR Leupold Mount System on TC Omega . The Scope needs to be no Longer than 11.45" . Nikon Buckmaster 3x9 is 13" . Nikon Omega Scope is 11.3" . Promblem solved. Thanks for your Help.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2007 at 17:04
Glad you worked it out.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic