OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Zeiss Rapid Z vs Kahles KX vs Swar?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anzac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zeiss Rapid Z vs Kahles KX vs Swar?
    Posted: September/04/2007 at 19:04

Three questions:

1. Does anyone have the Zeiss Conquests with Rapid Z reticles in stock yet?
  2. Has anyone actually used one?
  3. Is the Z600 the best for the .243W?

Cheers!

Edited by anzac
Obi Wan Kenobi View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Obi Wan Kenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2007 at 19:23

Haven't used one. I love Zeiss scopes but the marketing team at Zeiss is pretty stubborn.

I think the Conquest scopes are fabulous scopes for people who hunt in states where its legal to sit half hour past official sunset. I would love to purchase a Rapid Z but Zeiss hasn't produced one in the 3x12 or 2.5x10 for the Diavari line without the built in laser range finder.  

As to your question about the .243. yes the Rapid Z 600 would be the scope for a .243 in Conquest models 3-9x40, 3-9x50, 3.5-10x44, 3.5-10x50. 

anzac View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anzac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2007 at 16:33
Thanks mate

Zeiss initially said July availability, then "just a few more weeks"...I'm thinking Christmas?
You would hope that when these companies start advertising that the products would be good to go...no wonder we just go and buy something else off the shelf thats in stock already??
anzac View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anzac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2007 at 00:05
I see that The Kahles KX rates highly with some of you.....excuse my lack of knowledge but is the 4D reticle a proper bullet drop like the Burris Bal Plex? Or TDS?

Is it worth holding out for the conquest with Rapid Z600 (prob 3.5-10) or go now with a Kahles KX of similar power and 4D reticle?? Or a Swarovski American with Ballistic Reticle or TDS??

Optically as to colour, resolution, contrast,dawn dusk performance etc...which is the better option?? (such are the decisions that interrupt sleeping!!)

Thanks

Edited by anzac
rocker4 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocker4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2007 at 09:21
I have a Conquest 3.5-10x44 and did quite a bit of research on the Rapid-Z reticle a couple of months ago. In talking to the Zeiss staff quite a bit, I found that the reticle will only work on a single power, and not neccesarily the highest power. Depending on your caliber and load the 3.5-10 scope might only work on 8 power with the holdover capabilities.
This is true in some extents with the Swaros also, but the positive about them is that they work on the highest power. I didn't see much of an advantage to buying a 10 power scope if the reticle only worked on 7 or 8 power.

I bought a Swaro American with the ballistic reticle.
anzac View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anzac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2007 at 04:23
Thanks for that..I agree the bullet drop feature would be most useful (for me) on the highest power.

What do you think of the Swarovski?
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2007 at 15:21
I know this is an old post, but thought I might be able to help. Zeiss's rapid-z calculator will tell you which power setting the reticle will work for your application. For example a 3.5-10 with a .243 95gr. winchester ballistic silvertip, the mag. setting would be 9.73. I have played with this calculator quite a bit for a .270wsm, and the right load can get you very near the max power setting of these scopes with many calibers. Hope this helps some.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic