OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SS10X42 on a Savage 10FP

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chevyfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SS10X42 on a Savage 10FP
    Posted: September/04/2007 at 15:17

I just ordered me a SS10X42 for my Savage 10FP....24" barrel in 308......

I have been trying to order a base and low rings from TPS....????

There website is not secure for online ordering and no one will answer the phone or return calls....?????

Have any of you had a hard time trying to place an order with them...????

If I can't get ahold of them....what other bases and rings would you suggest for around the same money....????

Thanks

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2007 at 18:17
M666M20MOA New Warne Tactical 1 Piece Base                                                                                         New Warne Tactical 1 Piece Base
  • Savage Short Action Accu-Trigger
  • Matte
  • 20 MOA
SWFA: $84.95
More Info... Buy Now
30606SAT Badger Ordnance Maximized Scope 1 Piece Rail                                                                            Badger Ordnance Maximized Scope 1 Piece Rail
  • Matte
  • Savage 10 Short Action w/ Accutrigger
  • 20 MOA
SWFA: $156.95
More Info... Buy Now

Badger is the best but you could probably live with the Warne base. Badger rings there again are the best but I understand being limited by price

614M Warne Tactical 30mm Rings                                                                                               Warne Tactical 30mm Rings
  • Matte
  • Medium
SWFA: $79.95
More Info... Buy Now

214M2 New Warne Maxima Permanent Attach 30mm Rings                                                                            New Warne Maxima Permanent Attach 30mm Rings
  • Matte
  • Medium
SWFA: $32.95
More Info... Buy Now

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
TPS_Phil View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TPS_Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2007 at 12:58
pm sent..
We refuse to compromise our quality for pricing.
100% USA Made.
ChrisGarrett View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisGarrett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2007 at 20:50

Originally posted by TPS_Phil TPS_Phil wrote:

pm sent..

Hi Phil, since I have you here, I ordered and paid for, a set of Ken Farrell cross bolts on August 3rd via telephone with a nice lady.  They were going to go out that Friday, or the following day, she said.

Haven't been charged and two subsequent phone messages that I left have gone unanswered.  Perhaps they shut down for a summer vacation?

Thanks, Chris Garrett, Miami

Edited by ChrisGarrett
TPS_Phil View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TPS_Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2007 at 01:36

I'll check with Lori on the Crossbolts as well....

Phil

100% USA Made.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2007 at 07:40

Phil, you formally affiliated with TPS or jsut a big fan?

I have a comment or 2 on the TPS rings, but we'll wait and see how closely Phil is linked to the organization.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
TPS_Phil View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TPS_Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2007 at 14:16
Affiliated
100% USA Made.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2007 at 18:18

TPS makes HIGH QUALITY gear.

I own two sets of 1 inchers and they are perfect. 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisGarrett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2007 at 22:12
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

TPS makes HIGH QUALITY gear.

I own two sets of 1 inchers and they are perfect. 

Yeah, I run 3 pairs of rings, Low 1" steel, Med. 30mm Steel and Med. 30mm Alloy and a 20moa steel rail for the Rem Sendero 7rem mag and I love their products.  Even got a nice call back in the spring about a ring question that I had from a nice fellow who's name escapes me currently. 

Customer Service can be a bit spotty, but they do make nice sh*t and their prices are quite reasonable.

Chris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2007 at 16:52

Phil,

The rings are fine, my concern is the specs to torque them.  "Tighten only as tight as you can without additional leverage"?  Can you give me a number?  15 in-lbs?  17 in-lbs, 20 in-lbs?  The IOR scope with which they came says the # cause of failure is over tightening the rings, yet the rings say as tight as I can with the wrench - but doesn't say which end of the wrench.  I'm a fairly strong guy, I can tighten allot without "additional leverage."

Please clarify

Other than that, they held the scope fast and went on with ease.

TPS_Phil View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TPS_Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2007 at 17:14

Thumb      &        Pointer Finger

You use the thumb for support and your pointer finger to pull and when the wrench feels like it is flexing is when you stop.  That equals out to be 15 to 24 inch pounds.

Tighten the right side with the index marks in rings and caps first and then the left side.

I tighten all mine by this method over the torque wrench and have never had a problem. 

Edited by TPS_Phil
100% USA Made.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2007 at 17:42

Interesting.

I saw a few people had slippages at 15 in-lbs so I toruqed to 20, took it all aprat, looked at the tube (all seemed fine) then set things at 20.  no slippage.

Your directions could be slightly more clear - especially given that makers of $1,000+  scopes are shipping your rings and saying, "don't over-tighten or you void your warranty."

TPS_Phil View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TPS_Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2007 at 18:04

I've set up alot of TPS Rings and Bases on Rifles and have had no problems.  I've taught people how to set up by following the directions and have had no problems.

Only one site seems to have all the problems and won't send in there rings to be looked at or examined, so I take that sites problems with a grain of salt....

I have talked to upper management on the torque specifications and they like whats in the directions that comes with the rings. 

Not sure what else I can do?

100% USA Made.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisGarrett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2007 at 18:10
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Interesting.

I saw a few people had slippages at 15 in-lbs so I toruqed to 20, took it all aprat, looked at the tube (all seemed fine) then set things at 20.  no slippage.

Your directions could be slightly more clear - especially given that makers of $1,000+  scopes are shipping your rings and saying, "don't over-tighten or you void your warranty."

As per my Wheeler Fat Wrench torque wrench instructions, steel rings get torqued between 15-20 in/# and alloy rings get 10-15 in/#.  Ring lugs are ~65 in/#.

Chris

Chris

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic