OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Target
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Bullet holes visible at 300yds?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bullet holes visible at 300yds?
    Posted: September/03/2007 at 09:49

Which brand of scope with up to 25 magnification can show .243 Cal bullet holes on a paper target from 330 yds? And which cannot? Will those that actually own any one of these brands and actually have seen/or not seen bullet holes at 300 yds be prepared to comment? My friend owns a Lynx 6-25x50 (Lynx is a South African scope generally considered not bad. As hunting scopes they are excellent value for money.)

Anyway, he was at a shoot this week-end and could not see bullet holes at 300yds, as opposed to some of the other competitors who apparently could. This helped them to adjust shot for shot for the effect of the wind.

So now he is looking at whether he needs to go to a bigger power scope, or simply better glass.

The essence of my question is: Can you see bullet holes at 330 yds ( 300 m) with 25 power??

www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2007 at 15:26

Hi

I do often see 6,5 and .338 holes at 330 yards with Zeiss/Hensoldt 6-24x72.

But it's depends very much on the target and on the background.

Black targets is very difficult..........

Regards Technika

matc View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2007 at 18:40

Hello

I have a 24 power tasco on a 243 that I can see bullet holes out to 300 meters with if I am shooting into a white backing and the heat is not to bad out

I have a 6x25 power millett on a 308 and use it in hog matchs out to 300 yards and have no problems seeing the hole's in the red and white area of the target.

mirage can make the very best scope not clear.

Like technika said black is hard to see holes in the target.. 

good luck

matt

8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2007 at 05:22

To answer my own question. I was at a shoot this week-end. We shot at an Impala life-sized target. So the background was shades of red/brown. I was using a Leupold 8,5-25x50. The conditions was clear sunny weather at about 10:00am.

At 200m and on 25 power I could barely make out one of the five shots fired.

The same friend in first post with his Lynx on 25X says he could see all five his holes made with a .243

After the serious shooting we had some fun. An apple was placed on a stick 220m away and those that wanted to had one shot at it. I looked through his scope and could clearly see the fruit label stuck on the apple (about an 1/2inch in diam). No I could not read it though!!!

Edited by 8shots
matc View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2007 at 17:25

8shots

I know that if I don't use a mirage sheild on the barrel that it can be very hard to see anyholes. Do to the heat from the barrel.

I also keep my eyes open so I can see the bullet flying in the scope . This helps me in finding POA

good luck

matt

CaliRN View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaliRN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2007 at 07:42
I can see .30 and 6.5 holes at 300 with a Weaver V-24, however if there is any mirage or the lighting is not ideal, then the holes are invisible.  Lately, we have been using either
the Shoot-and-see targets or the Dirty Bird targets at longer range.  Best thing to do it
to put out a target at 300 and look through other peoples scopes.  Target color and
material are also important, if you are making your own targets try to avoid using
high gloss (printer) paper.  Some print shops carry low gloss or matte paper.

Good luck
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2007 at 12:25
I also keep my eyes open so I can see the bullet flying in the scope . This helps me in finding POA
wow thats pretty amazing!!!!
shooting down on a target helps alot, so your not looking thru so many thermals.
the yellow alumina lens covers from leupold help alot.
the higher the altitude the more help
the more contrast between hole and target
hispanic farm workers off to the left with a radio help the most.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2007 at 14:19
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

Hispanic farm workers off to the left with a radio help the most.

El Spotters, Dale??..........ROFL Clap
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2007 at 14:35
La Spotta --- senoritas.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2007 at 14:42
Ahh si...Yo comprendo....Tongue
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Blackbird View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2007 at 15:42
I could not see 6mm. bullet holes on white paper at 300 yards with a Leupold Mark 4, 8.5-25X-50mm. LR/T set on 25X. It was 58 degrees, sunny, no wind, and very low mirage. However, I could see them clear as could be, with my Premier boosted 14.5-35X-50mm. set on 35X.
matc View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2007 at 19:38

When shooting at longer ranges like 300 or more it is not that hard to see the bullet travel in the air to the target.  At most matchs I go to I don't have a shooting budy to spot for me. Go to a rifle match  some day where they shoot at longer ranges and look through a spoting scope and the bullets  will look like shooting stares.

matc View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2007 at 20:06
Originally posted by matc matc wrote:

When shooting at longer ranges like 300 or more it is not that hard to see the bullet travel in the air to the target.  At most matchs I go to I don't have a shooting budy to spot for me. Go to a rifle match  some day where they shoot at longer ranges and look through a spoting scope and the bullets  will look like shooting stars.

Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2007 at 10:44
everytime I look up to see where the bullet is going I always miss the target-- damn canadians!!!
Blackbird View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2007 at 12:39
Originally posted by matc matc wrote:

When shooting at longer ranges like 300 or more it is not that hard to see the bullet travel in the air to the target.  At most matchs I go to I don't have a shooting budy to spot for me. Go to a rifle match  some day where they shoot at longer ranges and look through a spoting scope and the bullets  will look like shooting stares.

Yes, the vapor trail is visible when shooting long range, some of the time. And some shooters are really good at determining their hits, by following the vapor trail.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2007 at 10:17
hey where did everybody go??/ this was just getting interesting.  It is really easy to tell from what part of the country people do their shooting when vapor trails are mentioned. The reason for some of my poking. You are shooting in a location where the dew point occurs later in the day (about shooting time, probably 10-12) which is east of the missippii. The dew point occurs before day break in the Rockies and even then vapor trails are rarely observed.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2008 at 09:03
Get%20Your%20Popcorn%20Ready
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2008 at 09:14
You don't suppose 8shots and his chinas are drinking a little too much Klipdrif while out in the bush shooting at targets, do you?   Whistling     --Ed
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2008 at 01:47
Klippies are for the Dutchman in safari-suits. Real hunters drink Castle!
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2008 at 08:19
Is that before or after tazor practice????
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic