OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Ran out of elevation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DOGMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ran out of elevation
    Posted: September/03/2007 at 00:05
I have a Remy 700PSS in 308 with a 20moa DD Ross one piece base, using a Leupold Tactical 4.5-14 x40mm - 1inch scope, Mark 4 Rings. I Ran out of verticle adjustment today at the range- should I drop the 20MOA base? I am shooting 2 inches low at 100 yards...she wont go up any further..any suggestions?
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2007 at 07:18

That sounds like the base is on backwards if it is a 20 moa base , The high end is toward the end of the barrel? It happens I got a gun back once with a 25 moa base reversed another story .

Duce

Duce
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2007 at 09:33
can't mount the base reversed on a remington receiver.

I have seen those bases cut in reverse though.

Just to be clear,  you are saying that with the scope adjusted fully up the impact is still 2 inches low?

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2007 at 09:50
If the base isn't on backwards you are in big trouble.   This is why it is important for a scope to have more than just a little internal adjustment, the 30mm version is more expensive but has 100moa or 100 inches at 100yds of internal adjustment. I think Mike is right they may have cut the base angled backwards.  Badger Base will be cut correctly.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
DOGMAN View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DOGMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2007 at 11:39
Looking  at the base- should the high end  be towards the rear of the  gun/receiver(closer to the shooter) or towards the front of the gun( away from the shooter?)
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2007 at 12:01

The high end should be toward the front of the gun away from the shooter.

Duce

Duce
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2007 at 13:05
The high end should be at the rear of the receiver to cant the front of the scope downward.
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2007 at 13:08

OOps your are right trying to do to many things at once

Duce

Duce
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2007 at 14:03
  OOPS  Mike nailed it.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
DOGMAN View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DOGMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2007 at 14:42
My low end is towards the front/barrel, but this is the only way the holes line up....
www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2007 at 15:19

I am not surprised.

All factory manufactured rifle brands have occasionally problems with barrels that are mounted in a different direction than they are supposed to.

The simplyest solution is to remachine the base so it's get more tilted, or maybe to buy another rifle.

Regards Technika

RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2007 at 09:17

DOGMAN Make sure you go back and re-read this entire thread carefully. Duce got a bit tongue-tied and mistakenly gave you some incorrect info which Mike McDonald corrected. Your last post got me to wondering if you missed that. It sounds as though your base is drilled and pitched correctly.  Something else is screwy here. You need to take a good hard look at the whole rig and see if anything just plain looks wrong. If your base is mounted solidly and you have a matched pair of rings, I have to suspect a barrel that is not threaded straight into the receiver or something of that nature. Also just double check to make sure you were turning the adjustment knobs the right way. Please do not ask me how I know to check that aspect of your problem...

Edited by RONK
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2007 at 10:57

Yes ROMK is absolutely right I goofed and Mack righted it, I was trying to do 3 things at once a good way to make mistakes .

Duce

Duce
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2007 at 18:01
Probably the first thing I would do is take the bolt out of the rifle so you can look down the barrel from the rear at something about 100 yds away with the rifle laying on sandbags or something to keep it in one place, then look at where the scope is pointing and while turning the adjustment knob watch to see if where the barrel is pointed and where the scope is pointed are closer or farther apart as you turn the adjustment knob. That will tell you if you are adjusting in the right direction and should get you close. I will mention that the target style knob on that scope comes with a screw on - screw off cover that covers the actual adjustment knob. (Once upon a time when I was about six or seven I just could not understand why I couldnt get the scope on my 30-06 to adjust - turns out I was just turning the screw on cap that covers the adjustment ).  Did you purchase the rifle new? Is there a competent gunsmith in the area who might be able to look at what you have going. If all else fails send the rifle to GA Precision in Kansas City and be prepared to spend lots of money- but you will like what you get back.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2007 at 11:47

My brain is kinda foggy from the meds but it still seems you would want the high end of the rail away from you  to cant the scope upward then adjust downward with the riticle to have more up adjust available at distance. But right now and last couple of weeks I have had a brain fog from the pain meds for this knee thing

Duce

Duce
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2007 at 18:20
Originally posted by Duce Duce wrote:

My brain is kinda foggy from the meds but it still seems you would want the high end of the rail away from you  to cant the scope upward then adjust downward with the riticle to have more up adjust available at distance. But right now and last couple of weeks I have had a brain fog from the pain meds for this knee thing

Duce

No, you need to cant the BARREL upward in relation to the line of sight. This  is done by raising the rear of the scope. It may be easier for you to grasp if you think in terms of locking the scope in place and tipping the muzzle up, allowing you to hit distant targets despite bullet drop. In order for this to occur, the rear scope mounting ring has to be higher above the center of the bore than the front (forward) ring. It is no different than raising the rear sight on an open sighted rifle to raise the point of impact on the target.

Edited by RONK
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic