OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Suggestions on Scope for 300WSM

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rhiesterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suggestions on Scope for 300WSM
    Posted: September/02/2007 at 21:59
I have purchased a 300 WSM and am looking for a  good scope.  New to the website - but have really enjoyed reading up on the forum on replys to past topics.  Would value any input.  I bought this gun with the intention of spending the money on a good scope so that this will be my only gun I use for deer, elk and other large game I hope to get to hunt in the years to come.  Grew up hunting Kansas whitetail with a hand me down 270 with tasco 4x scope.  Looking now to upgrade.  Before finding this website had it narrowed down to Zeiss Conquest or Nikon Monarch.  Would like to keep cost at $800 or below.  Thanks in advance for taking time to respond.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2007 at 22:06
kahles makes a great scope in the kx series that is inside of your budget i would have one on my 300wsm but 600-700 bucks is more than i can afford.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
rhiesterman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rhiesterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2007 at 23:34
I have planned and saved for quite some time for this new gun and scope.  My philosophy is save up, buy one good gun and scope that I can now use the rest of my life on every hunting season I hunt.  When I broke down the cost over the next 30+ years it calculates out to be quite affordable.  This way I'll know my gun and scope and their combined capability in any situation.

What makes the Kahles your pick?  Also - any specific scope in the KX line you were speaking of?

Would also like to ask recommendations on size of scope.  I had planned on a 3-9 x 40 or similar for greatest versatility without a lot of bulk a 50 mm would give.  As with everyone, I want the lightest, slimmest scope with the greatest low light capabilities in that price range.  Look forward to more thoughts. 
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2007 at 23:59

Welcome rhiesterman!

Kahles is an outstanding scope, and within your $800 max budget, I'd go with one of their 1" tube models hands down.  Optically, their 1" scopes are comparable to most of the premium 30mm euro scopes at half the price.  I own a couple and will probably buy more.  Both the 3-9X42 and 3.5-10X50 fits your budget and magnification range preference perfectly.  I don't know of any finer scopes available for under $1000.

http://www.swfa.com/pc-8607-1219-kahles-3-9x42-helia-kx-rifl escope.aspx

http://www.swfa.com/pc-8609-1219-kahles-35-10x50-helia-kx-ri flescope.aspx

Within that budget, I would also take a look at the Swarovski AV and the Kahles AH models from SWFA's "Sample List."

http://www.samplelist.com/default.aspx?prod_type=1&hide_ sold=False

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2007 at 02:37
Rhiesterman.........Congrats on your recent 300 WSM purchase! We have the same liking in a cartridge.... My approach as far as your new scope is concerned will be somewhat different from the others but, it will be the same approach I used with myself several months ago in purchasing my new scope. I read that you have an $800 or less budget. That`s good because you can acquire an excellent scope for $800 or less; Zeiss, Kahles, VX111 and a lower line Swaro as examples...... I am fortunate enough not to be concerned about a budget. But nevertheless, I am always concerned about getting the best possible value for my dollar. Since it had been many years since my last scope purchase, I needed to do alot of research homework, catch up reading and look through as many scopes as I could. They included Zeiss, Kahles, Leupold`s, Nikon`s and others while I was at the various dealers and looking through friend`s scopes at the range as well............After doing my homework, peering through many scopes and surprisingly to my friends, I bought a 3X9 Bushnell Elite 4200 for $299. It`s only $259 through swfa. Now, I will grant you that the Zeiss and Kahles have superior optics, but only slightly. The least expensive Kahles 3X9 is about $569, which is more than double the price of the 3X9 Elite at $259! As far as optics, durability and construction, is the Kahles more than two times better than that of the Elite? I think not! Is the Zeiss Conquest at $399, 25% to 35% better than the 4200? Nope! See where I`m going here?..... Take a good look at the Elite 4200. After your comparison process, if you CAN justify the extra cost for a kahles, Zeiss or other excellent but more expensive scope, then buy it.....However, if you CAN`T and you do choose the Elite, take the difference in savings and buy something else that you need........For example, I own a compact rifle/scout combo in the 300 WSM. The 4200 is mounted conventionally. I bought a Nikon 2.5 x 8 UCC, EER that is mounted scout style on the barrel. I switch them as needed. Both scopes combined were $588..... And if I decide later, I can always mount the Nikon on my 500 S&W revolver as well.... Both my Nikon and the Elite, will do anything in the fields, under any possible hunting situation, just as the more expensive scopes will do. I will never lose an opportunity for a shot!........Although your budget may be up to $800, perhaps this approach may be helpful and offer something, you may not have previously considered................Good luck & happy scope hunting!!!
ronnie View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2007 at 21:01
Well if i already had my gun and  still had up to 800 to spend on a scope i would go with kahles kx 3x9x42 ,preferable with 4a reticle and then i would get a set of warne rings and bases.You can get all of this for about 700 bucks and feel confident that it just dont get much better than this.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2007 at 21:42

Whenever you go up in optical quality, the price jumps dramatically.  Big Squeeze is correct in saying that you can get an excellent scope for less than $400 in the Bushnell Elite 4200.  It is one of the best values in optics today.  He sums up the reservations of many shooters in spending mega $ on a scope when he says that it's hard for many to justify spending twice the price for the Kahles, when it doesn't appear it is 2X better than the Elite 4200.  Just like it often costs double or even triple the price to make a rifle shoot 1/4 MOA groups vs. one that shoots respectable 3/4 MOA groups, increasingly small improvements in optical quality usually involves a price that would seem to be out of proportion to the improvement in performance.  However, it all depends on how picky you are and what the intended use of the scope is.  If, for example, you planned to put an outstanding optic on one favorite rifle that you planned to use everywhere on anything for the rest of your life, paying the extra $ on the premium scope might not seem like such a big deal when factored over a lifetime of hunting.  While I would personally agree that the Kahles isn't 2X better than the Elite 4200, most who have spend much time behind both scopes would agree it is better.  So, like everything else, it all boils down to what you value in your equipment and what price you assign to that value.  Sometimes, it's nice to own the occasional "best quality" product whose extra level of performance brings a lot of long term satisfaction, even when its price tag stings a little at first.  It's far more common to hear of buyer's remorse over quality that doesn't quite measure up to expectations than over a high quality product whose price stretches the budget.   

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2007 at 08:28

Another proverbial turd in the punch-bowl:

http://www.swfa.com/pc-8616-278-swarovski-3-10x42-american-r iflescope.aspx

You will have to save up a little more, but you will NEVER regret it.  Rifledude is right, you will be using the gun extensively for many years to come; if you go with "almost what I want", you will regret it every time yout take it out.

Save a little longer, get the Swaro.  Someone said it hurts like hell the day you write the check, but every day thereafter is pure bliss.  You could use a 4200 or a Conquest (both of which I have or do own) but the Swaro is great.  Really great.  Over time, I might trade in all my Conquests for Swaros - it'll take awhile; but now when I look through my Conquest, I'm thinking about my Swaro.

But maybe it's just me.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2007 at 09:58

Swaro is definitely one of those no compromises scopes.  Basically, the Kahles and Swaro 1" tube scopes are pretty much equivalent optically in my opinion.  There are no better 1" tube hunting scopes available in the world than those two.  By owning either, you will never play those "I wish I woulda" games in your mind, and every time you shoulder your rifle, you'll be glad you saved up a little longer.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not at all suggesting that you should mount only mega-$ scopes on all your rifles -- unless of course you happen to be super weathy.  The budget is the budget.  In most cases, a good solid medium priced scope will give you many years of good service and allow you to take shots in the vast majority of conditions.  But to me it makes sense to go ahead and save up for the best scope you can afford for 1 or 2 of your favorite rifles you plan to use for the majority of your hunting over a lifetime.

Edited by RifleDude
Ted

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic