OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope advice for a lightweight rifle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sensei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope advice for a lightweight rifle
    Posted: September/02/2007 at 10:20
Hey all, I'm close to getting new lightweight rifle in .223 Rem. At the moment the Remington Seven is the one I want the most. A Howa 1500 Ultralight and even a Tikka T3 Lite are good alternatives.

The scope I was having in mind was a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44. I have a Nikon 6.5-20x44 on a rather heavy Howa-rig in .223 and I'm very happy with that scope. How do you think the mentioned Zeiss would compare to the Nikon I already have? It's quite a bit more expensive, so I would require it to be at least a few notches better in both optical and mechanical quality. I've heard mixed opinions on the Conquest series and they're not too common around here, so It's kinda hard to get first hand experince. I might also consider another Nikon or a Leupold. Budget is in the $400-800 area and I'd prefer at least 10x magnification. I wont be using this in any low-light conditions, so personally I think the 44mm objective will be enough for a lightweight rig.
When you have to shoot, shoot! Dont talk.
Tuco
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2007 at 10:40

I own several of the Conquest and like them.  I own the one you have in mind and it has taken a few hogs with great success.  It is worth the extra money, no question.  And check the Sample List, you might get Lucky and find a refurb in great shape and for a little less $$ (but still fully warrantied.)

I owned a Nikon for about 3 days, it wasn't my favorite; and where it was, a Conquest now resides.

The 44mm is all you need, especially on a lightweight gun.

As for the rifles, I own several Tikkas and think they are a great deals for the money, very accurate, very handy, very reliable (plastic mag doesn't make me all too happy but it ain't a "deal breaker.")

Edited by Rancid Coolaid
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2007 at 11:19
Sensei........................If your Nikon comes close to the Zeiss in optic quality, then use the Nikon....If you see a larger difference, then go with the Zeiss! I would certainly eyeball the Zeiss before spending that additional money to make sure the extra bucks are justified. 
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2007 at 15:48
7633 Kahles 4-12x50 Helia KX 51974, Matte finish, mil dot reticle, 1" tube, fast focus eye piece, 1/4moa finger adjustable windage and elevation, close to new condition.   $699.95

6765 Swarovski 4-12x50 American Light Weight SR 52137, Matte finish, one inch tube, TDS plex bullet drop reticle, fast focus eye piece, SR Mounting system, close to new condition.   $949.95

8099 Zeiss 4.5-14x44 Conquest 5214559943, Matte finish, #43 mil dot reticle, 1" tube, fast focus eye piece, side focus, 1/4" moa, target knobs, ring marks, factory certified refurbished, lifetime transferable warranty.   $649.95

Thought I'd post some of the bargains from samplelist. Kahles and Swarovski have even better glass than the Zeiss but the Zeiss is a fine scope and they have some new rapid z reticles that can be used for known holdover as well as mil dot which can be used both for holdover and determining distance (use a mildot master)

MD1 Mil-Dot Master                                                                                                          Mil-Dot Master
  • Estimating Target Size
  • Determining Range to Target
  • Correcting for Bullet Drop
  • Correcting for Wind Drift
  • Correcting for Uphill/Downhill
  • Correcting Correction to Mil (holdover)
  • Correcting Correction to MOA (sight adjustment)
SWFA: $29.95
More Info... Buy Now

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Sensei View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sensei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2007 at 17:10
I think the Kahles and Swarovski will be too big with the 50mm objective, and the Swaro kinda blows the budget. Besides, neither of them have those sweet target turrets or side focus. I actually looked at that Zeiss in the samplelist earlier today and the mil-dot is the reticle I'd prefer. Not the best for all hunting purposes, but still my favorite as I've had great success with it in my Nikon scope. Still, I'm not quite comfortable with the part where it says "ring marks" and "refurbished".
Tuco
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2007 at 20:48
i have had great success with nikon's myself i dont think that the monarch is to many levels below a conquest, but the only reason why i dont use zeiss scopes is because i cant afford them.dont go with leupold there are so many scopes out there which are optically just as good and a lot less$$$ out of your pocket. i think i would look at a 4200 elite before i would buy a leupold

Edited by pyro6999
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Sensei View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sensei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2007 at 14:22
I'd really appreciate more suggestions for my lighweight rig. Chris, cheaptrick, koshkin and all other senior members, have you nothing to say here? Are there perhaps any lightweight scopes in my price range with similar specs as the Zeiss mentioned? Do any of you have any experience with Zeiss USA's customer service? I've heard Nikon's pretty bad so...
Tuco
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2007 at 20:54

Sensei,

What is your intended shooting application?  You're selecting a "lightweight" rifle in .223, yet you're planning to top it with a relatively large, relatively heavy high magnification scope, plus you're wanting target turrets and side focus?  In my opinion, you're going in the wrong direction on your scope.  Such a scope isn't exactly "light weight."  I would go with something in the 2-7X, 3-9X, or maybe 2.5-10X magnification range, otherwise your scope will be way out of proportion to the size of the rifle, will make the rifle a little top heavy balance-wise, and you simply don't need that much magnification on a .223, which is hardly a long range rifle.  In any of those magnification ranges, you can get a scope weighing in the neighborhood of 13 - 14 oz., which is typically the upper limit of what most people consider a "light weight" scope.  The only time I could see using a high magnification scope on a .223 is on a varmint / informal target rifle, where you're shooting at small varmints, in which case you wouldn't choose a lightweight rifle to begin with, but instead a heavy barreled rifle.  On a small varmint rig, the extra magnification, side focus, and target knobs is a benefit.  On a general hunting rifle, you simply would be better served spending the extra $ on better glass, not extra magnification, side focus and target knobs.

In your budget, I would select either the Kahles KX or Zeiss Conquest, or, if you wanted to have some money left over to buy ammo, reloading supplies, etc., you couldn't go wrong with the Bushnell Elite 4200 or Nikon Monarch.  However, again, in any of those lines, I would go with a scope with magnification range between 2-7X and 2.5-10X. 

Edited by RifleDude
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Sensei View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sensei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2007 at 18:08
I know the Zeiss mentioned isn't exactly a lightweight scope, thats why I asked for lightweight alternatives. Anything below 10x makes me feel awkward at the 100m range. I guess I've gotten spoiled with my 6.5-20x44 Nikon. Anyhow, the primary use at the moment will be grouse hunting in steep norwegian mountains and having fun at the range both informally and in some kind of hunting-related competitions we got here. I usually think of myself as more of a shooter than a hunter. This means that easy range adjustments is a necessity and a little extra magnification will come in handy.
Tuco
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2007 at 22:47

Sensei,

Keep in mind that a 10X scope makes a target at 100m appear as if it's 10m away.  A 10X scope is not at all a handicap at the limits of the .223's practical range, and keeping upper magnification to 10X max is definitely helpful in saving weight.  Most any scope with upper magnification of 14X isn't likely to be any lighter than the Conquest 4.5-14X44 you're considering.  It sounds like you really want more magnification than 10X, so based on your criteria, I'd recommend you go with the Conquest.  It's an excellent scope, and you could certainly do much worse.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic