OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need a scope for new Sako 75

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budlyte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need a scope for new Sako 75
    Posted: August/30/2007 at 21:28
Howdy.  I'm new here and looking for some guidance in selecting a scope for my new Sako 75 Hunter rifle (.30-06). The rifle will be used primarily for deer hunting in Upper Michigan.  Most of my deer are taken within 100 yards, but the possibility of longer shots (~200 yds) is there as well, so I think a 3-9x40 (or thereabouts) is the right size.  I'd like to keep the price under $500.

I was comparing the 3-9 Zeiss Conquest w/ the 2.5-8 Leupold VX-III and while I liked them both, I preferred the image quality of Leupold a bit better (e.g. brighter whites). Then I compared the 2.5-8 to the 3.5-10 VX-III and decided I liked the size of the 3.5-10 better (the 2.5-8 has a shorter tube). Unfortunately the store didn't have the size rings I needed, so they are going to order them.

Since I didn't buy the scope yet, I have time to consider other brands, so I thought I'd get some recommendations from the folks on this forum.  In reading some other posts, I think I should try to look at a Bushnell Elite 3200/4200 and Burris Signature Select 3-10x40 as well. 

Any thoughts on these models (and any others I should consider) is greatly appreciated.

~Budlyte

Edited by budlyte
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2007 at 21:57
4553 Kahles 2-7x36 American Hunter 51643, Matte finish, one inch tube, plex reticle, fast focus eye piece, light ring marks   $449.95

It is getting really hard to find a 2-7 power range scope anymore several companies stopped making them in favor of a 2.5-10x42.  The 36mm objective is noticibly more compact and is just right for a hunting scope in the up close to two hundred + yard distance.     2x will be a lot more useful if you are stalking deer and need to make a quick shot. Also Kahles and Swarovsky's european glass is FAR better than anything else out there. Better buy this slightly used one quick before it gets away.To buy an item on the samplelist call 1-972-SCOPE-IT (726-7348).

If you find you dont like it return it and they will work with you to get you what you want.

Also worth consideration due to the lit reticle is  Accupoint from Trijicon 1.25-4x or 3-9x or 2.5-10x models:

TR21R Trijicon 1.25-4x24 Accu-Point Rifle Scope                                                                               Trijicon 1.25-4x24 Accu-Point Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Red Triangle BAC
  • 1"
SWFA: $572.95
More Info... Buy Now

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
ronnie View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2007 at 22:07

You might want to try comparing those scopes about dark.I'll bet the outcome would be different.Zeiss conquest slightly better scope in my opinion .The Kahles mentioned above is even better.

budlyte View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budlyte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2007 at 22:57
I went to a store yesterday w/ every intention of getting the Conquest after reading all of the positive reviews on the forum, and spent a lot of time looking at both the Conquest and VX-III.  Overall, I thought they were very similar optically.  The 2 things that swayed me towards the VX-III were:

1.  When looking at a big white and red RUGER banner, the white was a bit darker/duller w/ the Zeiss.  Not a big difference, but noticeable nonetheless.
2.  When trying to read some text printed on an ammo box about 15 yards away, I never could get a crisp focus w/ the Zeiss no matter how much I tried; the Leupold didn't take much turning of the fine adjustment at all. 

Granted, both scopes are the display/demo models that are handled quite a bit each day, so it's possible the Zeiss one is a bit out of whack and needs to be replaced w/ a fresh one.  I checked the lenses on the Zeiss to see if maybe they were smudged, but they were clean. 

I certainly could live w/ the slightly duller whites (and the plastic "hot wheels" style adjustment knob covers which are a bit chincy compared to the metal ones on the VX-III), but not being able to get a sharp focus concerned me.  If I get a chance to view one at a different store, I'll certainly give the Zeiss another try.

Edited by budlyte
pell1203 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pell1203 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2007 at 00:42

Not sure how important it is that the scopes focus at 15 yards after some twiddling... After all, how often are you going to do that in a hunting situation. If it were me, I would set them up so that things were as sharp and as clear as possible at 100 yards on both and then see what things look like at closer and farther distances without changing focus. If one were perceptably better than the other, as viewed through your eyes, then that would be the one to go with. You've already observed that one is darker/duller than the other.

Trust your instincts and go with what looks best to you. You will not be disappointed with either choice!

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2007 at 06:43

Welcome to The OT!!

Judging optical clarity inside a building can be deceiving.

It's better, if possible, to take both scopes outside and give them a try.

Both the VXIII or the Conquest will serve you well.

http://www.swfa.com/pc-1525-259-zeiss-3-9x40-conquest-rifle- scope.aspx

http://www.swfa.com/pc-3347-307-leupold-25-8x36-vx-iii-rifle scope.aspx

As stated, the Kahles Ufriend put up is a tremendous scope.

Edited by cheaptrick
ND2000 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ND2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2007 at 08:09

Budlyte -

I am going to give you a little different suggestion.  Considering the majority of your shots are less than 100 yards, but may go up to 200 yards, I would strongly encourage you to think about getting a 4X fixed power Kahles.  You can pick one up for about $400 or so and you will not find better optics or durability.

At any given price point, fixed power scopes will provide better optics than variable, and they don't require as many moving parts so they are lighter, more compact, and more durable.

You would not be disappointed with this scope.  4X is plenty of power out to 200 yards.

ND2000

You either get what you pay for or what you deserve.
army_eod View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote army_eod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2007 at 08:25
How bout the Weaver Grand Slam 3-10?
Princes and governments are far more dangerous than other elements within society.

Niccolo Machiavelli
budlyte View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budlyte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2007 at 10:01
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.  I forgot to mention that I did take the scopes outside of the store and look at objects at various distances up around 300 yards.  While the image quality was very similar w/ both scopes, I'd have to give the edge to the VX-III.  I never could get a crisp focus w/ the Zeiss at any distance no matter how much I adjusted it. 

As I mentioned previously, I'll take another look at the Zeiss if I can find one at a different store.    I'll also check out Kahles and some others as well.  Any thoughts on the Bushnell Elite 3200/4200 and Burris Signature Select 3-10x40?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2007 at 12:57

I would definitely stay with the 4200 Elite series, rather than the 3200.

MUCH better optics with the former.

The 3-9x 4200 I've looked through recently was very nice.

Rain Guard seems to be a good addition as well for that scope, though I have never utilized it.

http://www.swfa.com/pc-7280-185-bushnell-3-9x40-elite-4200-r ifle-scope.aspx

Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2007 at 13:07

I would agree with CT on the 4200 it is a much better scope than the 3200 and at that price you can buy a good set of rings and mount. Get it properly mounted and sighted in and you will be good to go well past 200 yards. There has been a lot of discussion on mounting scopes and its importance on opticstalk and it is important to do it right or the most expensive scope is wasted.

Good hunting

Duce

Duce

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2007 at 13:18
Originally posted by Duce Duce wrote:

There has been a lot of discussion on mounting scopes and its importance on opticstalk and it is important to do it right or the most expensive scope is wasted.

Good hunting

Duce

Gospel truth right there.

Id go with Warne or Talley Sako mounts on that rifle. 

I loathe the Optiloc mounts....

sakosf View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakosf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2007 at 14:41
I looked at that 4x Kahles scope on the sample list and that is a nice looking scope and I think it would work out well for you....providing the scope is not too short for proper eye relief on a 30.06 class length action, on a SAKO 75 rifle
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2007 at 14:57
Budlyte.................I take it that it`s possible you like Bud lite beer?? Cute user name there!......................I have an Elite 4200 in 3X9, mounted conventionally on my 300 WSM Ruger Frontier short barreled compact. I paid $299 for that scope. The 4200 will do anything in the field, under any hunting circumstances as well as any $500 scope on the market..... Yep! The Kahles`, the Zeiss` are perhaps a little brighter and slightly better in low light. But, optically & percentage wise, they are not better in porportion to the extra price you pay........ IMHO, a $450 to $500 scope for example, would have to give me an additional 34% to 40% worth of features & benefits in optic quality, durability & construction in order to justify the additional cost over the $299 price point......I`ve looked through them both at the range and at stores. The Zeiss & Kahles are excellent scopes, but they are not 34% to 40% better than the Elite 4200! That`s how good the 4200 really is.....If you can, do a side by side comparison at your local dealers (outside) and let your eyes decide for you. Then, if you can justify the extra cost, then go for the Kahles or Zeiss................If you can`t justify the added cost, get the Elite 4200, take the difference in savings and take your girlfriend, wife or whomever out to a real nice dinner. Or, maybe get some addtional reloading equipement or some other accessories that you need!...........I bought a 2nd scope for my Ruger, a Nikon Monarch 2.5 X 8 variable EER, UCC, that I also use as a scout scope mounted on the barrel forward of the receiver. I switch them back and forth as my hunting & range needs dictate. Combined, the 4200 & the Nikon cost me $588....................Happy shopping & good luck!
budlyte View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budlyte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2007 at 15:34
Thanks Big Squeeze.  Yup, my user name relates to Bud Lite beer.  My drinking days are behind me for the most part, but I still enjoy a cold one now and then. 

I've read many of your posts regarding the 4200, which is why I added it to my list of scopes to look at.  I've been calling local sporting goods stores, but unfortunately none of then have the 4200 in stock currently, or they don't carry it at all, so I may have to take a road trip to a bigger store that carries all the ones I want to look at. 
budlyte View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budlyte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2007 at 15:37
Hi Cheaptrick.  Thanks for the replies and the welcome.  Regarding cost, I'd like to keep it under $500.  As for mounts, I think the store ordered Leupold ones, as that's the main brand they carry.  Are those ok?

~Budlyte

Edited by budlyte

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2007 at 15:40

Yeah, sorry Brother, I missed that in your opening post....

I'm just soooo used to having to ask people that....  I need to make "What's your budget?" my sig line.....

budlyte View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budlyte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2007 at 15:40
Originally posted by Duce Duce wrote:

I would agree with CT on the 4200 it is a much better scope than the 3200 and at that price you can buy a good set of rings and mount. Get it properly mounted and sighted in and you will be good to go well past 200 yards. There has been a lot of discussion on mounting scopes and its importance on opticstalk and it is important to do it right or the most expensive scope is wasted.

Good hunting

Duce

Thanks Duce!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2007 at 15:41
Yes, I used the Leupold ring mounts on my M75 .300 Win Mag. with zero problems.
budlyte View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budlyte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2007 at 15:49
That's good to hear. 

I sure appreciate everyone's responses.  I'm sure all this scope research will result in a good choice.  It sounds like I can't really go wrong with any of the ones I listed judging by the responses so far. Now if I could just get a look at all of them.....

One question: I noticed no one commented on the Burris Signature Select I mentioned.  Is that one I should avoid?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic