OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

What’s the verdict....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GuitarSlinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What’s the verdict....
    Posted: August/29/2007 at 15:39

Hey Guys,

Just looking for some advice on mounts/rings.  I want a decent set to mount to my hunting rifle.  Its nothing crazy, just a remington 700 ADL synthetic in 30.06.  Its one of the ADL's that came with a cheap scope premounted.  I bought it brand new last year and used the scope last season.  Needless to say I had to upgrade the glass shortly after. Now I'm thinking about upgrading the mounts and rings.  I just put a Burris Fullfield 2, 3-9x40 on it.  Now, I do realize that I don't have the top of the line 700 with all the bells and whistles, but it does shoot just over 3/4 inch groups at 100 yards with decent ammo.  I'm not looking for a $200 set of mounts and rings to put on a $200 scope.  I'm toying with the idea of quick release rings, but I'm not too confident in their return to zero capacity. If I dont do the QR's then I at least want a decent base with some windage adjustments.  The way it stands now, I basically have a generic 2 piece weaver base with no adjustments with some pretty standard rings.

So, whats the verdict? Any suggestions??

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2007 at 07:29

For QR mounts I have these

http://www.swfa.com/c-241-talley-quick-detachable-scope-ring -systems.aspx

on several rifles and find them to be very repeatable. The material and machining are top notch.

For fixed and windage adjustable you can't go wrong with these

http://www.swfa.com/c-104-leupold-standard-rings-bases.aspx

Again, the materials and machining are of high quality.

Doug

GuitarSlinger View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GuitarSlinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2007 at 07:48

Thanks for the suggestions Doug, but this might sound a little funny, are the Leupold bases any good for $20? I know Leupold is a pretty good name in optics but the majority of the guys on the forum usually say don't go too cheap on the mounts.

Edited by GuitarSlinger
ronnie View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2007 at 21:58

i have leopold ring and bases on all my rifles and have had no problems.I also have the same rifle you referring to and i have a one piece base with dovetail ring on the front and windage on the back with a nikon monarch sitting on them and it is a solid set up.If you dont like the leupold rings and bases you might want to look at some warnes or talleys.

Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2007 at 23:50

Leupold's QR rings and bases work just fine, and do return to zero.  I have them on several of my rifles, and have put them through overseas flights and some pretty rough hunting trips.

GuitarSlinger View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GuitarSlinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2007 at 18:46
Great thanks for the advice guys.  So It's going to be leupold bases/rings for my rifle. Do you think teh QR rings are worth getting or not really.  I only travel by car a few hours away to hunt. The range is about 20 mins from my home. and I dont plan on swapping scopes.  I mainly hunt deer and my 3-9 is sufficient for that task anyway.
Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2007 at 22:35
Whether or not you want the QR rings depends upon whether you will use the QR feature.  They make cleaning easier, and let you take an extra backup scope when you travel.  However, there's no reason to pay for something if you don't expect to use it.  (Situations do change.)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic