OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

spreading lime

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahuebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: spreading lime
    Posted: August/29/2007 at 12:25

Now that I have a good idea of what to plant and how to go about preparing the soil, my next question is how to spread lime. According to the guy who leases part of our land to run cattle, we need 1 ton of lime per acre. As far as I know, the lime comes in a powder (possibly damp). How would I go about spreading this?

Thanks.

jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2007 at 12:49

www.tractorbynet.com is a great resource for such questions.

i know that lime can come in pellets as well.  you may want to check on that.

good luck.

J

ahuebel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahuebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2007 at 12:54

I'll check that link out thanks!

I know it can come in pellets but they are more expensive and since I need 40 bags per acre I want to keep the price down all I can.

Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2007 at 13:57
Originally posted by ahuebel ahuebel wrote:

Now that I have a good idea of what to plant and how to go about preparing the soil, my next question is how to spread lime. According to the guy who leases part of our land to run cattle, we need 1 ton of lime per acre. As far as I know, the lime comes in a powder (possibly damp). How would I go about spreading this?

Thanks.

When we do our lime we add sand 1 ton lime 1/4 ton sand.

It takes lime about a half year to even start to help the soil.

Another thing thats not talked about often is that deer are grassers so do your plots in long narrow stips. say 20 yards wide buy 100 yards long. it actually dose help.I have no idea why but they come in one side and eat there way to the other.But i guess it could work ether way but thats what the DNR told us that this was the best way for deer

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
ahuebel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahuebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2007 at 15:52
Well we are just trying our luck. This is the first time we have attempted anything like this. I plan on doing four 1/4 acre plots as sort of a test bed and they will typically be along a treeline.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2007 at 16:54
In all honesty, ahuebel, all we've ever done is simply plow up an area and throw out seed.  We've never done anything to condition the soil whatsoever, and we've always had pretty lush food plots by the time deer season rolls around -- provided we seeded at least 6 weeks prior to the start of the season.  Maybe we've just been lucky and we really needed to do more soil preparation, or maybe our soil already has optimal ph, but we've never done any preparation other than break up the soil.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2007 at 21:29
me too ted
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
ahuebel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahuebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2007 at 21:33
well I hear what you guys are saying. I just think it won't be all that much trouble to get the lime and we will have the manpower up there in 2 weekends to get some work done so I say go for it!
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2007 at 10:06

There are usually farm service companies that have big trucks with a spreader on the back that go out and apply the lime or fertalizer  for you, thats how I did it when I was growing soybeans. Ask some of the local farmers who they have spread lime and fertalizer sometimes they will mix the seed and the fertalizer or lime and spread it all at once for you. If its only a small area  they may not be willing to do  that but doesnt hurt to ask usually the guys selling seed at the co-op etc are a wealth of information on who does what.

I have been told that the pellet stuff may actually be better than the traditional lime as the lime content is guaranteed. The lime helps but fertalizer is probably more important. For doing small plots there are spreaders that go on the  back of an ATV or the back of a Tractor and run off PTO Those can be used for lime, fertalizer, seed.  If you have a spike harrow  or a harrow section and a chain you can drag that over after seeding to kick a little dirt on top of the seeds

http://www.mineralprocess.com/pelletized-lime-questions.html

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2007 at 13:23

Originally posted by ahuebel ahuebel wrote:

well I hear what you guys are saying. I just think it won't be all that much trouble to get the lime and we will have the manpower up there in 2 weekends to get some work done so I say go for it!

You may end up with much better food plots than I ever had.  I say if you're gonna do something, ya might as well do it right.  Let us know how your food plots turn out, and be sure to pass along any tricks you learn along the way.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2007 at 12:01
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

............. The lime helps but fertalizer is probably more important. .......

http://www.mineralprocess.com/pelletized-lime-questions.html

The way I understand it........ you are wasting the fertalizer (and your $$) if your PH isn't right.  So, they are both equally important!

take em!
ahuebel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahuebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2007 at 12:31

Thanks for the information. I'm going to take the intelligence gathered from articles, discussions, and recommendations from the place I buy the seed from. It will come down to just doing the best I can given the time constraints and other parameters and hope for the best. If nothing else, it should smooth out the land where the hogs have torn it to shreds!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic