OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Kahles information needed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kahles information needed
    Posted: August/27/2007 at 01:57
Greetings everyone out there in optics land! I am looking at two scopes on the samplelist right now. One is a Kahles American hunter (2-7x36) -$449 the other one is a Kahles fixed 4x36 - $499 Do these scopes have the same glass? is one better than the other (optically speaking) Why would the fixed be $50 more than the variable? Thanks for any and all input, Bricat
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2007 at 06:39
Best guess--- The glass should be the same quality in both. Possibly a price difference due to condition, coulb be the less expensive has minor ring marks or some cosmetic minor blemish that does not affect its use. Or could be one has been in stock longer. I personally would go with the 2-7 unless the rifle has extreme recoil like a .375 H&H etc then I might put a fixed power on it. sounds like a great deal to me.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2007 at 09:09

The Kahles 4x is an interesting scope and can be well worth the extra money. Look at its field of view next to the "L"scope.  Fixed 4x scopes are droping in sales, so part of what you are seeing is a discount based on volume.

"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2007 at 16:24

bricat,

Part of the reason could be that the American Hunter series scopes have been discontinued (the current equivalent line is now called KX).  The AH scopes on the Sample List are a bargain.  All Kahles scopes are very good, so you can't go wrong regardless of which one you choose.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2007 at 00:12
Thanks everyone for your replies. I talked to a gentleman at SWFA yesterday about these scopes, he said that they were not demos but rather pre-owned scopes that were traded in. This made me a little nervous about ordering one. Is it wise to buy a pre-owned scope when you don't know who the previous owner was? Even though the outside of the scope only has "light ring marks" It makes me wonder about the "guts" of the scope. Will it hold POI? will it have full range of adjustment? ...etc...? Any thoughts on this? Bricat
ND2000 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ND2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2007 at 07:40

Bricat -

Personally, I think you will be fine.  These high-end scopes are made to last a lifetime.  SWFA also is putting their reputation on the line a little bit as well here...

ND2000

You either get what you pay for or what you deserve.
chazgreen View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chazgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2007 at 12:23
I just bought one of the two remaining 2-7's, so best buy while they last. I have every trust in SWFA. They will give you 2 weeks to find out if the scope is satisfactory. I don't think they would let a bad scope out of the barn; they have earned their reputation the hard way..customer service/ Chaz
chazgreen
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic