OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

nikoplex or bdc-headshooting roos!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rooshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: nikoplex or bdc-headshooting roos!
    Posted: August/26/2007 at 10:01
hi there all. i shoot roos[kangaroos] semi-professionally here in the southwest of australia, and i'm about to buy a new scope to do so. we shoot under spot light and roos need to be taken with a head shot anywhere from 50 to 250 yards[2-3" target]. i currently use a simmons whitetail expedition 4-12-42 which is up to the task, but longer shots are bit of a stretch on 12x. i really want to see the colour of his eyeball at 250 to minimise the chance of a miss. my mate uses a 24x and reckons it's great. here's my question. i've basically decided to get the new monarch 5-20-44, the only thing i cant decide is which reticle to get. the nikoplex or the bdc. i kind of like the #4 look of the bdc but also the classic look of the nikoplex. any suggestions? i'm thinking it may boil down to the thickness of the crosshair in the centre, but then again i haven't had much experience with high power scopes, and looking at a roos head at 250 on 20x may make even a relatively thick crosshair look thin. i cant compare the two side by side so could someone possibly post a picture, preferrably a real life shot through the ocular. otherwise a detailed explanation from anyone who has looked at the two side by side. cheers!
rooshooter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rooshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2007 at 07:28
ok maybe i was asking a bit much. i'm sure plenty of you have owned both or at least looked through both kinds of reticles. can some one tell me which one has thicker posts and which one has thinner cross-hairs. maybe even opinions on which one you think looks the best...even if i don't use the bdc feature!
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2007 at 12:07

I really like the BDC feature - but I think you are barking up the wrong tree entirely. You are talking shooting at night therefore the amount of light you get through the scope is critical to success. The higher the power the less light.  6x42 scope take 42 divide by 6 and you have a 7mm exit eye pupil which is about as much light as you can use. You need to make some choices here dealing with what is practical in the way of size and how much exit eye pupil you need to be able to see through it well. Worth mention is that BDC reticles only work at the highest power. Also the down side of the new Nikon scopes seem to be that they do not have very much internal adjustment I believe about 38 MOA or 38 inches at 100 yds top to bottom. That should be plenty for the 250 yd shots you plan but for guys trying to get to 1000 it is not. I would probably go with a scope like

TR22R Trijicon 2.5-10x56 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope                                                                          Trijicon 2.5-10x56 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Red Triangle
  • 30mm
SWFA: $763.95
More Info... Buy Now

or

414518 IOR 4-14x50 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope                                                                                   IOR 4-14x50 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Illuminated MP-8
  • 30mm
  • Side Focus
SWFA: $984.95
More Info... Buy Now

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2007 at 18:19

I had started to answer you post last evening, and had a very insightful response all typed up, which I accidently deleted instead of sending out.Logging on this afternoon to try again, I find that "myimaginaryfriend" pretty much stole all my thoughts on the subject!

I agree that low -light performance is paramount for your particular application, unless you are able to use some sort of death-beam light source to illuminate ol' Skippy. If you found the Simmons adequate, I believe the Nikon will make you very happy indeed. I really doubt you need 20x magnification at the top end though. Keep in mind that you know a lot more about shooting kangaroos at night than I do!

Inside of several hundreds of yards there is a lot to be said for a duplex type reticle.I don't think I would get a BDC reticle for what you are doing...

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rooshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2007 at 18:49
thanks for the responses guys. like said,i haven't got all that much experience with high power scopes myself, but a friend who hunts skippys probably 2-3 times a week uses 20 and 24x on scopes like nikko stirling nighteater and won't use anything less. he has mentioned no probs with light gathering. the spot beam is fairly intense.also i wont to get the best possible accuracy out of my gun when paper punching, and i just can't see the holes at 100y on 12x! keep it coming though, more reticle comparisons, opinions or pictures are welcome.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rooshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2007 at 00:32
i probably should of mentioned that i shoot with a bi-pod standing on the back of the ute leaning on the roof, so steady shots and acquiring the target aren't too much of a problem.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic