OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Torque Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote army_eod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Torque Questions
    Posted: August/24/2007 at 13:02

When torqueing down scope ring caps, is the torque value a function of the rings, scope or both?

I know that Leupy has a preset wrench that torques their Mark 4 rings to 65 inch pounds.

I have an IOR.  I think their specs are much lower. 

Is there a good general torque value for scopes/rings?

Yeah...I just sprung for a good torque wrench and Torx and Hex sets.

Princes and governments are far more dangerous than other elements within society.

Niccolo Machiavelli
Wally View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2007 at 14:03

I don't want to hijack your thread, but where did you get your torque wrench?

Steve

army_eod View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote army_eod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2007 at 14:11
Originally posted by Wally Wally wrote:

I don't want to hijack your thread, but where did you get your torque wrench?

Steve

No Problem.  Here is the link.  I bought a KD wrench.  Pretty good prices from what I have researched.

http://www.tooltopia.com/

Princes and governments are far more dangerous than other elements within society.

Niccolo Machiavelli
Wally View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2007 at 16:11

Thanks!  I appreciate the info.

Steve

HerbG View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HerbG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2007 at 16:03
competitor also sells the Wheeler Torque Screwdriver. It's adjustable from 10-65 inch pounds and costs about $50.
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2007 at 17:29
< name=frmBuy37826 =index.asp?Page=ADDPRODTOCART method=post>

TPMS 1/4

Click for Details

S K Hand Tools (SKT74010) TPMS 1/4" Drive 20-100 in/lb Micrometer Click Torque Wrench

List Price $214.98

ToolTopia Price < id=strRealPricePass37826 = value=109.99>$109.99< id=ProdDisc37826 = value=0 name=ProdDisc>< id=strProdPrice = value=109.99 name=ProdPrice>< id=discountPercentage = value=1>

< =validateProdQty(this..name); style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt" size=1 value=1 name=intQty>

< = name=MMPref> < id=buy37826 title="Add This Item To Your Cart" =image src="http://www.tooltopia.com/Themes/_themes/Castle_Blue/buy.gif" border=0 name=btn>

Only one on that site I found in inch pounds not foot pounds, sportmans warehouse has the Wheeler FAT wrench for

$50  or Mid South Shooters supply for $ 40

The screws that Leupy torque 65 are the ones connecting the rings to the action the screws that hold the scope should be 12 to 15 inch pounds any more than that and you may put to much pressure on internal moving parts and get reticle jump or not moving

Duce 

Duce
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic