OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

REMINGTON

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2007 at 10:13
3" 20 is too personal for me anymore.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2007 at 11:43
I agree with that, Dale. A  6 1/2 lb. Gold Label, 3" #4's would be obnoxious. Damn, even 2 3/4' Bismuth out of my older 12 doubles hurts. I would rather shoot my 9 lb. .375 H&H any day.

Edited by tahqua
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2007 at 16:26
i know i shot a mosberg marine magnum, with the sawed off barrel one time it had buck shot in it and i thought f**k that sh*t i aint doing that again kickin mule is what that was!
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2007 at 17:30

Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

i know i shot a mosberg marine magnum, with the sawed off barrel one time it had buck shot in it and i thought f**k that sh*t i aint doing that again kickin mule is what that was!

Come on pyro6999, you know it was nothing but a .22lr.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2007 at 19:42
i would have rather taken a shot from your .340 wby i think that was not near enough gun for that round.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
hot30 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hot30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2007 at 20:29

Come on fellas, get ya some of those Limb Savers and some Decelerators.!!!!

Gotta be better than a punch in the eye>>?????  Gettum 1" or 1-1/8". Ya can shoot for hours.

Besides, if the boss asks what happened to your shoulder, just tell her it was some wild SEX.!!

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2007 at 20:32
i dont think a limb saver would have done it, triple buck out of an 18" barrel, was just brutal should have seen what it did to the rotten pine stump i shot though, looked like lightning hit it! i was like double f**k one for the pain and one for the aftermath on the stump.tore sh*t up and if i am getting bruised during sex somebody better be paying me for it

Edited by pyro6999
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2007 at 14:01

One ounce of lead shot from the right load and choke will do just about anything that needs to be done in wingshooting.  The only exception is waterfowl, where you are required to use steel shot.   

It is VERY important to pattern your shotgun to know exactly where it is printing.  Many shotguns will print high or low, and/or maybe to the side.  Ideally, the shotgun should shoot where you point and perhaps a bit higher. (I like a 60/40 high/low pattern for field and skeet shooting.)  If the shotgun is "off", you won't be nearly as effective.  This is one reason shotguns are so "personal."

Patterning also lets you check out different loads to see how well they cover the target.  Sheets of newspaper, some tomato stakes, and masking tape are cheap, and will work just fine for this purpose. 

We killed lots of geese cleanly with one shot each, using Winchester Super Double-X lead one-ounce loads out of full choke 20 gauges before steel shot was required.  However, we limited our shots to 50 yards (so we could put in a follow-up if that proved necessary).

Extra lead or steel won't make a miss any better.  It's also a waste of game to shoot at out-of-range geese. I've seen a going-away goose shot by several hunters, simultaneously, with over 10 ounces of  lead at between 70 and 75 yards.  It looked like someone had opened a pillow, but the goose flew over a mile before it came down and was found by another guide.  Shot pellets start to drop at longer range.  You can watch this happen if you are shooting over open water.

The Remington pump shotgun is absolutely the most reliable shotgun out there, and it balances nicely with a 26 inch barrel.  We've tried and owned lots of doubles and automatics.  I have kept two Remington pumps (one 12 gauge and one 20 gauge) as my "shotguns for life."   I do hear nice things about Benelli automatics and Beretta over/unders, though. 

Shotgunning is lots of fun, as long as you don't beat yourself to death with heavy loads trying to make up for skill with lead.  The decelerator pad is a great suggestion, and I have these on all of my long guns with significant recoil.   You can have the shotgun stock adjusted to you when you have the pad installed. 

Edited by Longhunter
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2007 at 07:48
if they still allowed lead im sure you would see a lot of people buying 20 ga shot guns, but since its a no no everybody thinks that they gotta have a 10ga 3 1/2 mag shells to knock geese down, and the people who buy a 3 1/2 instead of a 3 for there 12ga arent gaining sh*t just paying more.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic