OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

REMINGTON

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hot30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: REMINGTON
    Posted: August/24/2007 at 01:06

looking at a remy, spr line of side by side 12 guage. Made in russia, sells for

350.00.  anybody seen one or shot one.? hows the fit and finish.? has screw in chokes also.

time for some fun,need a break.  clays are great entertainment.!!

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2007 at 06:11

30, there is a lot of info here

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewforum.php?f=83&sid=9 fa1a221c0eab1d404029429b5c8731d

I've seen some tests around in various magazines and they have been generally positive. For $350 you get a decent working gun. The fit and finish are what you would expect for the money. Not the best, not flush in all areas and checkering is modest.

30, let us know if this is your limit as there are other options for approximately $700-800 that will get you into a pretty nice gun.

Any entry level side by side will make you start saving for a AyA or a Rizzini. Doubles handle sooo sweet.

Doug

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2007 at 06:18
go all out and pick up a ruger gold label
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2007 at 07:52

One of my hunting partners has a Gold Label and it is a wand. I don't know why they bothered with 3" chambers, though. It would be brutal.

It sounds like production is ramping up for them again and the price is going up with the reintroduction. I am seeing just under $2000 this time around. When they first came out they were going for $1600.

This is still quite a bit more than $350. For a bit more than this I would consider the CZ Bobwhite, Ringneck or a DeHaan. The DeHaans are made by Huglu, the same Turkish manufacturer that makes the CZ's and the Kimber Valiers. A boxlock SxS can be had in the $600 range and they handle real well. I will have the opportunity to hunt with one in a few weeks.

30, if I get the chance I will get out and swing a Remington/Bakail next week. I find that even with the budget SxS' you get very good handling on upland game compared to a pump or auto.

Doug

Edited by tahqua
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2007 at 08:30
the cz's are a much better gun for a little bit more, as most ss done't have ejectors, the angle at which they open and present the cases for finger extraction should be as much as possible. vary rarely will the pull weight on both hammers be the same in this level of guns, but as they are used in hunting it doesn't matter, usually only in target types is this an over riding factor. increases in price only result in engraving and wood enhancements up to investment grade which are held for resale, investment by some "gun house" for security purposes. The spr is an outstanding value, but I think you will have so much fun ,you"ll be looking to upgrade a bit before to long.
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2007 at 12:09

DC has a good point. What is nice about a box lock is that they generally come with a single trigger, mechanical or inertia. The pull doesn't change and it does not detract from the handling.

There is debate as to pistol grip versus a straight, English, grip in a SxS. I subscribe to this, though; a pistol grip is fine with a box lock single trigger. A sidelock with double triggers begs for a straight grip. I know from experience that you do shift your grip when going from one trigger to the other and the straight grip is smoother for this. When a grouse explodes in front of you either is quick, double or single trigger. Another advantage of double triggers is that if you are choked modified and I.C., for example, and bird flushes at 25 yards you can use the rear trigger to pull the modified barrel first. With the single trigger, on most guns, you select which barrel to fire first by selection with the safety switch. When a bird flushes you do not have the time to snick it over before disengaging it. 

Regarding ejectors, most of these guns have them or are an option. I would suggest them in a field gun. For target, extractors only are fine, who likes to pick up spent shells. For birds, though, quick reloads in a double are frequent encounters. Not having to pull out spent cases to reload is definitely faster and ejectors are important.

Doug

Edited by tahqua
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2007 at 15:20
I have the Baikal sxs with screw in chokes and a selective triggers, bought for 300, just as Remington was beginning to sell their version.  I own three very good quality O/Us, not in the mega stratosphere as DC, but nonetheless, I am sure they will shoot just as well and last just as long.  I have been around shotguns quite awhile and the Baikal is put together much better than I expected, better than the Stoeger.  Wood to metal fit was suprisingly good as is the metal to metal fit.  Only minor gaps.  I  refinished the stock into a semi-gloss and it revealed wood grain that is really gorgeous.  I worked some of the wood to make the fit look more uniform.  I did nothing to the metal, as I have experience, but using my dad's workshop and tools and I just do not have the equipment at my house.  For the money it will provide alot of fun, but it will fuel your desire to upgrade.  Do not worry about ejectors, this that an the other.  Just go shoot and learn to reload your own shells.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2007 at 18:24
i have shouldered a gold label and the english style forearm wasnt for me there wasnt hardly anything there to hang on to, the baikal arent to bad, the one i looked at was stiff to break open but i wondered if that was because it was new, and needed to be used a bit or if its really that stiff.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2007 at 19:36
P, with the splinter style forend you can wrap your hand around the barrels. I will be shooting the Gold Label real soon and can't wait. It swings real nice. The splinter looks better to me and with some of the trim upland guns is the only way to go, IMO. I much prefer the splinter but the beavertail is okay on the waterfowl guns.
I'm breaking out one of my oldies for fowling this year that has a splinter forend and double triggers. Thanks to my Widgeon parka it shouldn't hurt too bad. The problem with all these guns is they are expensive too feed non-tox to. The newer guns like the Remington eat everything.

Doug
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2007 at 20:52
 the gold label i checked out shouldered nicely and swung nice but i still prefer the browning citori, i like having a forend with some meat on it
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2007 at 21:17

Most of my doubles are stack barrels and I carry them a lot. I'm in a minority, most of my buddies have Citori's and Beretta's but I have a small collection of Winchester 101's. A matched pair of Pidgeon Grade XTR's I have really are my go to bird guns. The 12 for pheasant and the 20 for grouse and woodcock.

Still, the SxS is too nice in the woods. I can't describe what I like about them other than to say they shoulder nicer and swing so sweet.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2007 at 21:21
nothing wrong with a 101 either, to be honest i prefer a semi auto in a shot gun the whole pump action screws with me. so a browning gold or a a remington sp-10 would be great, but i dont have time to hunt ducks geese grouse etc so i sold my shotgun.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2007 at 21:38

I would rather be afield with my bird and fowl guns and my bird dog any day of the week.

Until I carry a rifle that is.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2007 at 21:40

hey congrats on the master title!!!        

i love big game hunting with a rifle i wish i could do it year round

They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2007 at 21:46

Thanks a lot...................some master I am, though, two teenage daughters and a wife.

Something about having my rifles in the field feels real good.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2007 at 21:47
i would feel better for me if the sarge didnt hate me being there she doesnt understand
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
hot30 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hot30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2007 at 19:53

Well fellas, I grew up shooting the sidexside. Double triggers and all, it feels natural to me. Old foxes, Iver Johnson etc. Had a 20ga. single for rabbits, it was so loose

it ejected the shell automatically after each round.!!  Give me a moment, its bringing

back a good laugh.......................  The shotgun is purely utility to me,so I wont put any big money into them. I know the "clay" thing should prompt me to do more money, we will see.?  This always changes when your looking at a full rack of them in the shop though.  I just get all "weak in the knees" over the smell of new guns.!!

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2007 at 08:43
As tac points out splinters forends are used with the thumb over the top of the barrel to control recoil. while beavertails are usually "feathered" in the palm. english straight stocks, besides being faster, are certainly less hard on the shooting hand by pulling the knuckles straight back so the one just behind the trigger guard doens't get smacked as much, but are usually to short for us long armed guys. The lower profile of the ss makes the gun come straight and as previously mentioned, 3" in these are something else. Even if just "utility" it is amazing how "personal" shotguns are as opposed to other fireams.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2007 at 21:53
like pistols i didnt grow up around scatter guns so i am piss poor handling either or, it is kinda fun to shoot hornet's nests and potatoes with a scatter gun though.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
hot30 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hot30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2007 at 17:07
Dale, a ss in 3" "IS" personal aint it.?  Just one trigger at a time.!! Ya know.!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic