OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

spotting scope help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: spotting scope help
    Posted: August/22/2007 at 22:19
Hi, I need some help choosing a spotting scope. When glassing the side of a hill 1300 to 1400 yards out and spotting a potential buck, I want to be able to use a spotting scope to profile, count the points, and see if it's worth my putting a sneak on him. With the help of this web site, I have a pretty good set of binos, rifle scope, and range finder. I now want to add a spotting scope to my arsenal.

Thanks in advance! 

-Mike

Edited by mike650
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2007 at 08:26

and all of that for about $100, right?

You mention hills and long distances. That means a serious scope, but a serious scope in the hills requires a full sized lightweight tripod.

How about the Manfrotto tripods with carbon fiber leggs, and how about the new soon to be released Leica 82 mm APO HD scope? I believe that their new eyepiece (25-50 x WW ASPH.) will be one of the best eyepieces ever put on a fieldscope.

You can always get a  Zeiss, Kowa or Swarovski of about 80-90 mm and HD lenses.

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2007 at 08:50

Yep, $100.00.

I understand that a better than average scope would be needed as well as a good bipod setup. Currently we've been killing our eyes using an old Cabelas spotting scope so it's time to upgrade.

Leica is excellent, thank you. I have one of their range finders and a very old set of binos.

I've been surfing the SWFA spotting scope section and found that some spotting scopes only include the body. I'm guessing with those, I would have to purchase the eyepiece separately?

-Mike

Edited by mike650
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2007 at 10:58
yes, you will need an eyepiece. make sure that it fits.
SteveCA View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveCA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2007 at 11:22
Mike,

You need to come up with a budget. You also need to determine how big a scope you're willing to pack. For super light weight use and bright conditions, I have a Nikon 50 ED with a 13-30X eyepiece. 1400 yards may a stretch for 30X though. In the medium weight and size category I use a swarovski 65mm HD with 20-60X. The 60X will definitely be useful for 1400 yards so long as the heat waves aren't too bad. For low light situations and the heaviest of the bunch, I use a Zeiss 85mm with 20-60X eyepiece, The prices vary from 650 for the nikon to 1900 for the zeiss and about 2300 for the swarovski but these are all top notch optics that you will own for life.

If you decide on a swarovski, I have a new one that I bought for a buddy at a great price, but he changed his mind and is selling it. PM me if interested. it is also listed for sale in the classified section of the forum.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2007 at 22:15
I'd love a Swarovski but I just got one of their scopes and binos. The spotting scope is even more expensive.

Anyone have any experience with the Nikon 25-75x82 ED Fieldscope?

-Mike
SteveCA View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveCA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2007 at 00:35
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

I'd love a Swarovski but I just got one of their scopes and binos. The spotting scope is even more expensive.

Anyone have any experience with the Nikon 25-75x82 ED Fieldscope?

-Mike

Mike,

I have used the nikon 82mm ED fieldscope. In short, it is outstanding and the best value for the money period. IMHO it is second to none in terms of contrast, colors and sharpness.  It also has 75X which no one else has. Some complain about the short eye relief for eyeglass wearers and the relatively narrow FOV but none of those things were an issue for me. You need to try it. I think you'd like it alot.
Blackbird View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2007 at 06:38
Have you considered a Pentax PF 80 ED? Some say these are better than the Nikon 25-75X 82 ED, but I don't know if that is true or not.
ND2000 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ND2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2007 at 07:58

Mike650 -

Here is what I would tell you.  I would sell your Swarovski riflescope and replace with a Kahles (unless you purchased a Z6).  Kahles' (who is owned by Swarovski) scopes are better (I'm thinking the KX or CL line) at a substantially reduced cost.  Take what's left over and apply it to a Swaro 65mm spotter.  All together then it won't be that much more $$$ than purchasing a mid-to-upper tier spotting scope from another manufacturer.

It's clear to me from your riflescope and binocular purchase that you appreciate the value of great optics.  Don't cheap out on your spotting scope where you may benefit the most, considering the mangification ranges are so much higher and that is where the expensive stuff really outdoes the rest.

ND2000

You either get what you pay for or what you deserve.
SteveCA View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveCA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2007 at 10:56
The Nikon 82ED can be had with the 25-75 eyepiece for $1069. The Swaro 65mm Non HD will cost you $1699 and the HD version (which is comparable to the ED Nikons) will cost you $2288. If money is not an issue, get the Swaro which is a very nice packageB >ut if money is an issue, its hard if not impossible to beat the nikon.

BTW I own the Swaro 65mm HD. I actually own two of them, one that was never used (new in the box) as I bought it for a friend and he changed his mind. I'd be happy to sell it to you for $1950 plus shipping with all warranty cards, etc with reciept. I also own the Nikon 50ED scope and a Zeiss Diascope 85mm. For the money, the nikon can't be beat but if you want the Swaro, buy my extra one.

Steve
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic