OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best scope for 50 BMG?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkeyslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best scope for 50 BMG?
    Posted: August/22/2007 at 16:27
Does anyone here have a 50BMG? I have an Armalite AR50 that needs a scope. I want something that will withstand the 50 bmg, has crystal clear optics and all the trimmins' !! Let me know what you guys think.
Thanks!
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2007 at 17:00

Define "trimmins", please.

Welcome to The OT.

turkeyslayer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkeyslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2007 at 21:02
Thanks for the welcome cheaptrick. I would like a scope with side focus, target knobs, high magnification (no more than 24x), preferably variable power and mil-dot reticle! This is what I'm looking for. I hope someone here can give me some ideas for my big 50.
Thanks!
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2007 at 21:46

A lot depends on your price range. If you want something that will stand up to a 50 BMG my first suggestion would be a 10x Super Sniper with side focus. These are tough as nails and quite a bargain.

SS10X42M Super Sniper 10x42 30mm Rifle Scope                                                                                     Super Sniper 10x42 30mm Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Side Focus
  • OK for .50 cal
SWFA: $399.95
More Info... Buy Now

If you must have variable Leupold Mark 4 scopes have a good reputation for customer service.

LEU60005 Leupold 4.5-14x50 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope                                                                           Leupold 4.5-14x50 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Tactical Milling Reticle
  • 30mm
  • Side Focus
  • M1 Target Knobs
  • Free Leupold Flip-Open Lens Covers w/ Purchase
SWFA: $1,084.95
More Info...

LEU60000 Leupold 4.5-14x50 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope                                                                           Leupold 4.5-14x50 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Illuminated Tactical Milling Reticle
  • 30mm
  • Side Focus
  • M1 Target Knobs
  • Free Leupold Flip-Open Lens Covers
SWFA: $1,214.95
More Info...

Also dont forget to check Samplelist http://www.samplelist.com/default.aspx?prod_type=1&hide_ sold=False

6867 Leupold 16x40 Mark 4 LR/T 60095, Matte finish, TMR reticle, 30mm tube, side focus, M1 target knobs, store display model, very close to new condition.   $1,249.95

7909 IOR 16x42 Tactical Matte finish, MP-8 reticle, 30mm tube, side focus, 1/4moa target knobs, light ring marks,   $719.95

WOW that 16x42 IOR price ROCKS  I might just buy that one if I was you

7998 IOR 2.5-10x42 Tactical Matte finish, first focal plane illuminated MP-8 reticle, 30mm tube, side focus, target knobs, ring marks.  

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
DEAD_BEAT View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DEAD_BEAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2007 at 20:50

if funds are available i would go with the nightforce!! if not go with the SS of choice and save till you can get the high dollar scope

there is a very good article in American rifleman magazine that talks about tacticle scope from 3 grand down to $175

JIM

JIM
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2007 at 21:54

If you want to pay for the best there is always Schmidt Bender, but I think you should buy the samplelist IOR

and be into a top quality fixed power true tactical scope at a reasonable price.

7909 IOR 16x42 Tactical Matte finish, MP-8 reticle, 30mm tube, side focus, 1/4moa target knobs, light ring marks, $719.95

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
goalie View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goalie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2007 at 20:59
I have a SS 10x on my .50 BMG.  It has held it's zero really well, and I am satisfied with it.

That said, if I was using it past 600 yards, I would go with a Nightforce or USO scope on it.  I've shot 1k yards with both and the difference in glass is remarkable.
"Only accurate rifles are interesting" Colonel Townsend Whelen
The Big Dog View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Big Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2007 at 22:00

Hi,

I have a friend who shoots his 50 BMG at our local 500 meter Benchrest matches and has broken 3 Nightforce scopes.  He won't put another Nightforce on his 50's.  I have another friend who is a sniper for our local county sherrif and he has been having problems with his Nightforce.  He has gone back to his Leupold Mark IV. 

I have heard the Millett TRS-1 is rated for the 50 BMG and have used it on my 338 Lapua Mag and it is holding up great.  I've even used it on a 338/378 Weatherby and it shoots great.  It is a side focus, lighted mil-dot like you are looking for.  It sells for $399 on this web site.  I have a couple of Milletts now and they are holding their own against my Nightforce and Leupold scopes.

Catch you later, 

The Big Dog

happyness is a warm day and lots of varmints.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2007 at 20:53

I have a Nightforce with over 1,000 rounds down range and no problems at all.  It has been hammered, it has been mistreated and I've had nothing but good results.

Anecdotal data around here recently proves that Millett makes better stuff than Swarovski and now Nightforce.  Then again, I can look outside and anecdotally prove that the earth is flat.

For what it's worth.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
dsr View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2007 at 15:16

The scope of choice for most members of the FCSA is Nightforce. They tend to hold up to the abuse of the fifty better than most – Note: it seams that at every match a couple of scopes let go irregardless of make. Super Sniper has an excellent reputation for use on the fifty.  I have not had the much time shooting a fifty with a Super Sniper (barrowed rifle) on it but the scope did impress me. 

As a side bar my first fifty I placed a Tasco World Class on it as a throw away scope (figured if the rifle ate it I was not out much – believe or not it is going strong at a 600 + rnds). 

Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2007 at 17:25
The Super Sniper is a great choice in a 10x. To get something significantly better is quite expensive. I would probably stay with a fixed power because they seem to be tougher than a variable and you need that.  Aso some of the other fixed power scopes like IOR could be a good choice.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
The Big Dog View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Big Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2007 at 01:16

[I have a Nightforce with over 1,000 rounds down range and no problems at all.  It has been hammered, it has been mistreated and I've had nothing but good results.]

If your Nightforce has held up for you,  I'm glad.  But Fact, Bruce has taken first place for the year with his Custom 50 BMG BR rifle.  He has 3 Nightforce scopes and they have all had to go back for repairs.  Fact,  JJ is a local county sherrif sniper instructor who had a Nightforce on his 50 BMG duty rifle.  His Nightforce would not hold zero and track after 10 shots.  Fact,  My first Nightforce scope had to be replaced because the crosshairs were cocked in the scope. My second scope has been returned to the shop twice for problems.  The next time I have a problem with it,  I'll either use it for a spotting scope or trade it off for a Tasco. 

[Anecdotal data around here recently proves that Millett makes better stuff than Swarovski and now Nightforce.]

That's funny,  I could of sworn that I said Swarovski was the only scope that I used that outshot the Millett?  The Millett TRS-1 scope did out  preform my Nightforce 12-42 BR,  Leupold 6.5-20 VARI-X III Target,  Leupold 8.5-25 VX-III LR Target.  Tasco 8-40 Custom Shop scopes.  Jesse also used his Swarovski and Sheppard scopes.  The Millett TRS-1 beat all these scopes except for the Swarovski fair and square.  Even by my rules!!!!!!!!!!!!.  Six of my friends now have Millett scopes,  even Jesse.

[Then again, I can look outside and anecdotally prove that the earth is flat.]

I don't what part of the country you are from but it sure isn't flat around here.  We have the Pacific Ocean,  Mountain ranges,  Islands,  Canyons,  Trees,  Rivers,  Lakes.  The last time I checked, It's anything but flat!

For what it's worth.  I didn't think much about Millett scopes untill I personally tested one on my rifles.  I've now replaced my Leupold Vari-XIII with a Millet on my 338 Lapua Mag.

Catch you later,

The Big Dog

P.S.  Why don't you put your money where your mouth is,  I did and learned that Millet is a lot better scope than I thought.

happyness is a warm day and lots of varmints.
cherokeescot View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cherokeescot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2013 at 23:23
I reckon I can vouch for the miracle cheapie scope. A friend bought two of the high power Barska scopes. This thing is huge! So he sold me one cheap because the one he mounted was crap. I have it on my Panther 24" Stainless Fluted .308. Amazing. I couldnt ask for more. That boy will get you on the 3/8" dot up close, 40 yds or stretch way out there and do the same thing, 400 yds. @ 1/4". (Federal Premium, 168 gr) I didnt even believe the Panther could do that! Sometimes two or three at the most and the red dot in the middle of the target is gone. When my friends shoot it you should see their expressions when they look through the spotter. I had one last Friday dancing in little circles like he had just won the lottery. What can I tell ya. I got a winner both with this Panther and this inexpensive scope. I paid him $100.00 new in the box. Only problem is because it is so big, and my hands are so big, loading that first round is a bitch. Its the most fun you can have with your clothes on. I called Barska to ask if I could mount it on my .50 cal and they said "No" and Ive been tempted but it is so accurate on my Panther, I wont chance having it disassemble itself on my .50. It doesnt have any 'name' on the scope except Barska, as far as the model etc.
DO NOT ANGER 50 MILLION AMERICAN PATRIOTS.
stork23raz View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2013 at 08:36
Originally posted by cherokeescot cherokeescot wrote:

I reckon I can vouch for the miracle cheapie scope. A friend bought two of the high power Barska scopes. This thing is huge! So he sold me one cheap because the one he mounted was crap. I have it on my Panther 24" Stainless Fluted .308. Amazing. I couldnt ask for more. That boy will get you on the 3/8" dot up close, 40 yds or stretch way out there and do the same thing, 400 yds. @ 1/4". (Federal Premium, 168 gr) I didnt even believe the Panther could do that! Sometimes two or three at the most and the red dot in the middle of the target is gone. When my friends shoot it you should see their expressions when they look through the spotter. I had one last Friday dancing in little circles like he had just won the lottery. What can I tell ya. I got a winner both with this Panther and this inexpensive scope. I paid him $100.00 new in the box. Only problem is because it is so big, and my hands are so big, loading that first round is a bitch. Its the most fun you can have with your clothes on. I called Barska to ask if I could mount it on my .50 cal and they said "No" and Ive been tempted but it is so accurate on my Panther, I wont chance having it disassemble itself on my .50. It doesnt have any 'name' on the scope except Barska, as far as the model etc.
The only miracle is the barska hasnt broken yet.  barksa is crap. junk, i wouldnt pay a nickle for one. Glass is like tinted wax paper, internals on them are about as useful  as an anchor on an airplane. Its not like one the assembly line they toss in NF scope and stamp Barska on it.
If i read your statement to be you shot 1/4" group at 400 yards. BS Flag
Sir i strongly recommend you donate that Barska to the garbage dump. Buy something useful. You will be amazed with the difference. Sightron, Vortex, Bushnell, Leupold, NF, SS, Trijicon, Zeiss
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:28
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2013 at 08:39
Posted: 20/September/2007 at 01:16

w0w post is a little old no matter what scope your using.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2013 at 09:07
Yep, oldie but goodie, "The Big Dog" sure put me in my place, Nightforce have proven themselves to suck mightily - o, wait...

And Millett, well, Millett.

As for the Barska being kick ass (and the rifle too), it is entirely possible that one doesn't suck as much as most of the others.  I don't buy Barska, but I know they have been tested extensively by very knowledgeable people, and ALL of those knowledgeable people have told me not to waste time or money.

That said, this isn't a function of price, but of quality.  There are inexpensive scopes of good quality, but Barska has generally not been considered in that category.

Cherokeescot, welcome.  If you are happy with your Barska, great, never sell it!
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic