OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Bushnell 4200 vs. Leupold VXIII

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WileyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bushnell 4200 vs. Leupold VXIII
    Posted: August/22/2007 at 12:24

I am going to buy a new scope for my .223 varmint rifle.  For various reasons I have narrowed my choices down to the Bushnell 4200 6-24x40 with side focus.  However, the Leupold 6.5-20x40 VXIII is about $100 more.  The Leupold has target knobs but the paralax is not side focus, it is an adjustable objective. 

So, here is the big question.  Is the Leupold worth the extra $100.00, or will the Bushnell provide me with everything the Leupold will, for less?  Also, it looks like the Leupold may have more generous eye relief than the Bushnell - is this correct? 

WileyCat
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2007 at 12:51

Both are good scopes but I would go with the Bushnell 4200, less money good glass and easy to adjust paralax to me it is the better buy for target or varmint.

Duce

Duce
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2007 at 15:50
Ditto....I have several of  both scopes  and I agree with Duce...4200 by a nose
Guests View Drop Down
Non-Registered Visitor
Non-Registered Visitor
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2007 at 01:00

I will 3rd the motion for the Elite 4200!.....Not to worry about any eye relief in the case of a .223. You don`t have enough recoil.....You pay more for the Leupold in comparison to what you get in return. The benefit and feature ratio in comparison to the bucks spent, is better with the Elite! 

8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2007 at 01:48
To confuse the issue, have you considered the Leupold 8,5-25x50? It has sidefocus and is a great scope. Not sure where it fits in price wise in your choices.
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2007 at 06:24
The 4200 will have better optics and in my experience will have less chance of tracking issues. I also prefer side focus if given a choice. The rainguard is also an excellant advantage offered by the elite.

focus

Edited by Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2007 at 21:14

I recently bought a 4-16x40 Bushnell put it on a 30-06 Encore pro hunter barrel and promptly got poked in the eye with it. I had some issues with the rings and tried another type then a third type. Several trips to the range later I am ready to trade off that barrel as I cant get the set up to group - probably the way the crown is cut or some other unknown factor. I have to say I love the glass but I have several guns with VXIII scopes on them using Leupold rings and bases and I have had great luck with them. When you are in the  6 or so to 20 or so range these are big scopes and I really like a 30mm tube better than a 1 inch tube for a larger scope because for one thing the 30mm tubes usually have more moa of internal adjustment. Dont forget to look at the new Nikon Monarchs with 4 very user friendly inches of eye relief.

8425 New Nikon 5-20x44 Monarch Riflescope                                                                                    New Nikon 5-20x44 Monarch Riflescope
  • Matte
  • BDC
  • 1"
  • Side Focus
  • Free SWFA Lens Pen w/ Purchase
SWFA: $529.95
More Info... Buy Now

8429 New Nikon 6-24x50 Monarch Riflescope                                                                                    New Nikon 6-24x50 Monarch Riflescope
  • Matte
  • BDC
  • 1"
  • Side Focus
  • Target Knobs
  • Free SWFA Lens Pen w/ Purchase
SWFA: $649.95
More Info... Buy Now

The scopes you are looking at are all well respected models and any one of them should serve you well. I do have to admit a personal prejudice for Leupold scopes eaven thought everyone says they are over priced I just have had really really good luck with them my favorite being a 4.5-14x50 with 30mm tube and 100 moa internal adjustment.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2007 at 08:53
Nikon's customer service is the pits!
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2007 at 08:58

If you are concerned about customer service Leupold is way in front of the pack on all counts.

Duce

Duce
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2007 at 09:24

ive had nikons for years and havent ever needed there cs dept knock on wood

but yeah leupold does a pretty good job in the cs, must be why there scopes cost more

They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic