OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Newbie needs help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Controller1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie needs help
    Posted: August/21/2007 at 08:54

Hi all,

I would like some input the following scopes I am considering to mount on a T3 tactical 308.

These are my selections

IOR 2.5-10 X 42 tac

IOR 4-14 X 50 tac

Nikon monarch X 4-16 X 50

Leupold Mark4 4.5-14 X 50

the longest shots should be in the range on 350 yards and it will be used for hunting.  I have only had experience with the leupolds and I will not be able to see the other 3 until the cash as been put down.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

C

Edited by Controller1
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2007 at 11:09

Hello

The 2.5-10 x 42 IOR is my pick. A exellent scope for your intended applications.

IOr scopes have noticably better optics and features than the other scopes mentioned.

http://www.swfa.com/pc-10157-292-ior-25-10x42-tactical-30mm- rifle-scope.aspx

Edited by Trinidad
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2007 at 15:42

aside from the usual leo bashing that goes on, and IOR does make good products (insert usual disclaimers and qualifers) theyre not "noticably" better-- just depends on who you talk to, I think the the IORs are FFP and the leo will be SFP if thats important and the 50 ior costs more to get the internal range in the clicks think its a forty tube. also usually ior, are heavier, bulky, (look like a tank) and larger check swfa used lists- bet there is a used good mk4 for sale. koshkin should be along with more accuracy on the ffp and sfp which you should check into.

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2007 at 16:30

Leupold:

http://www.swfa.com/pc-5492-297-leupold-35-10x40-mark-4-lrt- 30mm-riflescope.aspx

IOR's extra features compared to the Leupold equivelent:

MIL movement/Mil reticle

Constant eye relief

ILL reticle

42 vs 40 obj

2.5x vs 3.5X on the low

sunshade

+ $300 savings

(even greater savings if you chose the SFP model)

Edited by Trinidad
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2007 at 17:00
And Leupold does suck, it has been scientifically proven and verified - do not dispute me!
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2007 at 17:01
Go with the IOR!
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2007 at 17:35
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

...I think the the IORs are FFP and the leo will be SFP if thats important ...more accuracy on the ffp and sfp which you should check into.

The IOR 2.5-10X42 is FFP; the 4-14X50 is SFP.  I have the 4-14X50 tac. and aside from a couple quirks, it is an outstanding scope!  Optically, it's excellent!  For my use (shooting small varmints and paper), I prefer SFP because I want to keep the reticle lines as thin as absolutely possible, which is why I selected this model over the 2.5-10.  Otherwise, for general hunting, I would prefer FFP.  Both reticle styles have their place.  So, for controller1's stated application, I agree with Trinidad and would pick the IOR 2.5-10X42.

Welcome to OT, controller1!

Edited by RifleDude
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Controller1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Controller1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2007 at 05:53

Thanks for the feedback guys

Just curious as to why no one commented on the Nikon is it any good?  What about the 2.5-10 X 44 Monarch X?

Thanks again

C

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2007 at 05:55

IF the new X is the same scope as the Nikon Tactical, which I think it is, it should be a good performer.

Problem is, few of us has actually seen the new Monarchs.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Controller1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2007 at 06:11

Can someone comment the old monarchs then. 

My concern is the reliability of the scope will the Nikon last are they strong enough.  I've heard customer service isn't nikon's strong point and I hate unreliable scopes,  I had one break on me 2 weeks before a hunt and it really pissed me off.

Thanks

C

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2007 at 06:24

The old Monarchs are generally well thought of. I've loved the ones I've used and owned.

Good deal right now too. If they are still in stock.

http://www.swfa.com/pc-1918-218-nikon-33-10x44-monarch-ucc-r iflescope.aspx

Be advised!

This linked Monarch WON'T be better optically than the IOR's you are considering.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Controller1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2007 at 06:41
Are the monarchs tactical worth the extra cash.  Meaning are they stronger than regular monarchs?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic