OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope advice needed 223 rem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope advice needed 223 rem
    Posted: August/20/2007 at 12:56

Hello, I am looking to upgrade my current scope on my Savage 12FV heavy barrel 223. It currently has a Simmons 8 point 4-12x40 AO scope that came with gun from the factory. While I have not had any problems with this scope so far, I feel the rifle is worthy of some better glass. I mainly get to reload and target shoot at 100-200 yard ranges just for fun, but hope to someday get to use this rifle for prairie dogs. I am pretty familiar with Pentax, Leupold, older Readfields, older Nikons, and some Simmons that I currently own. Now that I have a family money is definitely an object and I am trying to keep this upgrade in the $200 or less range. Here are some scopes that I have been considering and would like opinions on. Feel free to make other suggestions also. I have been thinking that AO is a must, but am not really sure if I would be better off with better glass without AO or a step lower, but with AO.

AO Scopes

1. Browning Scope 4-12X40MM MATTE AO $189.99

I have heard these are comparable to the Bushnell elites and it has some good reviews, but I am unsure of the warranty.

2. Pentax 4.5-14x42 AO Pioneer Rifle Scope $220.00

I have pentax WTU scope and love it and have heard this is the same as burris FF2.

3. Simmons 6.5-20x50 AO Whitetail Classic Rifle Scope $99.99

Simmons scares me a bit, but this scope is supposedly $220 retail and has quite a following if this one was any good I could upgrade the scope on my custom 10/22 also for this price. :)

4. Nikon 4-12x50 Buckmaster Refurb with side focus AO $229.99

This is from the sample list so I am not sure of the warranty, but that is one heck of price for this scope I believe.

Non AO Scopes

1. New Nikon 3-9x50 ProStaff TEAM REALTREE Riflescope $149.99
  2. Looks like another good buy on a factory new scope.

3. Sightron 3-9x40 SI Series Scope $109.99
  4. Have seen lots of their products 10 years ago and they looked like a good value, but no other info since.

5. Burris 3-9X40 Fullfield II Scope with FREE Landmark Spotting Scope (20x-50mm) $184.95

I know burris is good and like the idea of a new spotter( if it is any good) as well.

Thanks,

JPAMP

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2007 at 13:16

Welcome to The OT!!

Out of the ones you mentioned, I'd go with the Buckmaster or the FFII.

Most notably, the BM.

martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2007 at 13:59

Browning scope is a great buy , and Browning will stand behind them . I had the same concern on my  own 2x7's and called their customer service--no worries.

On another note, I  have personally dealt with Nikon's service in 2006  on a 3 week old Monarch that lost tracking after mounting on a 30-06. They tried to bill me more than the purchase price to fix it, and communication was horrible. .Eventually it was repaired free of charge, but returned with a couple of nicks. I gave up at that point on Nikon. Just my opinion, but steer clear.

Edited by martin3175
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2007 at 14:35

Welcome.  If you are going to be pd shooting, you want some upper end magnification.  The only scope with sig. upper end range is the Simmons.  I have owned and used alot of them without problems and on a low recoiling rifle it may be fine.  I cannot figure out why it is so cheap.  Is it pre or post Blount?  Before buying it, I would make sure the poi does not change with a change in the magnification.  You can do this with a laser bore sighter or a Leupold bore sighter you place in the end of the barrel.  Basically sight on the laser spot (zero in on it with the e/w knobs) or on the Leupold device and then change magnification.  If it drifts off point, run.  My real pick, other than the Simmons, based on what I would percieve as a quality scope, would be the Pentax.  Shooting pds, you will want a AO and the 14x power will get you closer than the others, but by not much.  As far as the free spotting scope.  It is mediocre.  I have one through a previous Fullfield II purchase.

cnwrobb View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnwrobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2007 at 17:20
Tough choices.  Browning is made by Bushnell. The Pentax is same as Burris FF and both posess good optics IMHO.  The Simmons just plain scare me as I have had 3 Simmons scopes that I either gave away and/or gave up on.  I wouldn't suggest a "refurb" Nikon when it does't cost much more to buy new and know you have a great warranty if some problems should surface.  Take a look at Bushnell 3200 or 4200 scope.  Quite a range of prices for 5-15x50 3200 for $299.95 to $549.95 for 4200 6-24x50 with all the bells and whistles you'd want.  Personally, I don't think you could go wrong with 4.5-14x40 Buckmaster or 6-18x40 Buckmaster.  Plenty of bang for buck IMO. My all time favorite pick is the  5.5-16.5x44 Nikon Titanium with AO. Burris makes some models which you should seriously look at, such as FFII 4.5-14x42 Tactical which has TAC-2 knobs and with it's finish, would give your rifle a very distinct "look"
cnwrobb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2007 at 17:36

Originally posted by cnwrobb cnwrobb wrote:

I wouldn't suggest a "refurb" Nikon when it does't cost much more to buy new and know you have a great warranty if some problems should surface. 

The term "refurb" has been adressed here several times over the years.

Nikon's refurbs may or may not a scope that went south and was rebuilt, but is really a demo or the like.

Nikon refurbs do have only a 6 month warranty versus a "full lifetime warranty" that the new units have. So that may indeed be a consideration.

cnwrobb View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnwrobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2007 at 17:53

Hey cheaptrick--

Didn't mean to step on your toes with the 'refurb' quote.  I was just trying to open the gentleman's eyes to all possiblities.

cnwrobb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2007 at 17:56
Originally posted by cnwrobb cnwrobb wrote:

Hey cheaptrick--

Didn't mean to step on your toes with the 'refurb' quote.  I was just trying to open the gentleman's eyes to all possiblities.

Not at all, Sir. 

You made an excellent point about the refurbs warranty. I had forgotten about it.

My only point about Nikon's refurbs was that they aren't always broken and then fixed to be considered a refurb.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic