OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

3-9x40 for .223 bolt rifle?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wevil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3-9x40 for .223 bolt rifle?
    Posted: August/19/2007 at 17:32
I just acquired a CZ 527 Kevlar in .223, it's a varmint type rifle, but just a little lighter. I have a Bushnell 3-9x40 Elite 4200 that is in need of a home. The planned use of this rifle is mostly target shooting, ground hogs and maybe some coyote. I'm guessing that 90% of my shooting will be inside 300 yards. Do the revered experts here believe this scope to be a decent match, or should I be looking for something with more magnification?

Any and all guidance is greatly appreciated.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2007 at 17:41

I'd mount it up and start shooting.

That scope will probably meet most all your shooting needs.

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2007 at 18:38
gun will certainly shoot to the scope, problem is the scope won't shoot to the capabilities of the gun/cartridge. If you are interested in something that will wring out the potential of that gun, something with AO and target type turrets.
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2007 at 11:51

I agree with Cheap Trick ....Mount the 4200  and go shooting. To quote a famous American >>It'll "get'r done"

Guests View Drop Down
Non-Registered Visitor
Non-Registered Visitor
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2007 at 12:49
Wevil...........................Mount the 4200 first. Then after a few hunting trips, assess if the 3x9 will be enough magnification for you!
:Long Shot View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote :Long Shot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2015 at 13:22
I would humbly recommend the SS X12 or X16 (I prefer the 12 at longer range - it seems clearer). I have one of each on varmint bolt guns. Sure there is kinda minimum range with the fixed power but how ofter are you gonna get closer than 75 yards from a ground hog.
Why do I carry a gun? In case some one needs to be shot.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2015 at 13:57
Ya got the scope, and ya got the rifle. Mount em up and see how you like it. If you aren't happy, you can always look for something else. I've got 3-9 SS, and I wouldn't hesitate to pop a whistle pig with it on a 223, unless only shots in the eyeball count.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2015 at 16:25
I think you have a good all around combination. My 4200 is a 4-16x42 and I like it for a lot of things.  Different types of shooting require different types of optics.  You really need to assess how this works for you.  With coyotes low power  1x  2x   3x is probably where you want to be because they move fast. With smaller critters higher power is where you may want to be depending on time of day. 
As the light grows dim reduce the power to brighten the image. If you find that you would prefer more magnification SWFA does take scopes in trade and allow you to upgrade.  I would suggest you order Talley Rings from SWFA. Phone Number: (972) SCOPE-IT (972-726-7348)

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2015 at 16:38
You do realize this is a 2007 thread, right?
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2015 at 18:54
Doc, get the DeLorean!
That thing on the left....my old ride, some days I miss her.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2015 at 21:24
DOH!
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
NDhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2015 at 21:43

Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

You do realize this is a 2007 thread, right?

Ilya: 

Good of you to point out the dates, a nice discussion, and it shows that

with a good 3-9x42, it does not matter much with quality optics. 

On another subject, I posed the question a while back to Chris, about a

new updated Scope Scale Discussion Thread. last one was 2009.

He said with the new store, kind of busy, and, maybe someday. 

I suppose you will be part of that.  

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic