OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Should’a posted this here

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Should’a posted this here
    Posted: August/19/2007 at 15:27
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

I've been around for awhile now and have come to respect the opinions I've found here (mostly) and have had great success with the recommendations I've been given.

So now I need something more.

I am setting up a 300WM for long-range shooting, paper punching mostly but maybe some long-range nuisance hunting (hogs really don't do well against 300 WMs - and if I wing one at 600 yards, I'm OK with that, as are the land owners for whom I shoot.)

So, what to buy?  My greatest experience is with tactical scopes which leads me toward Nightforce, US Optics, S&B, or IOR; however, this gun will not see hard-core field use and doesn't need to be ready to deploy.  I have some growing experience with hunting scopes.  I really (really) like my new Swaro American.

What route do I take?  There is really no need to go with high-end tactical, but it's what I know.  Can I save $1,000 and get something more benchrest-oriented and not lose glass quality and scope function?  Should I consider a nice, higher-end Swaro and skip the tactical thing altogether?  Should I buy a nice huge-bell Diavari?

Sorry to ask such an asinine question, but some here know my strengths and therefore my weaknesses - and hunting/benchrest optics are my weakness.

Thanx for any help or suggestions.  Especially interested in input from the evil 5 or whatever the hell they call you, you guys haven't lead me down a bad path yet. Yet!

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2007 at 18:43

easy choice for me, but maybe something in the Rem. varmit type of guns, but I do think you should think about something in 6x20 area with AO and target turrets. A lot of it depends how much you have to haul the gun around.

sako 300 winny

Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2007 at 19:32
[

I am setting up a 300WM for long-range shooting, paper punching mostly but maybe some long-range nuisance hunting (hogs really don't do well against 300 WMs - and if I wing one at 600 yards, I'm OK with that, as are the land owners for whom I shoot.)

I'm i reading this right? why are you shooting the land owner?  J/k

Thanks for saking this.was going to ask this after my other project is done.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2007 at 20:41

"for" whom I shoot.

Hogs in Texas are a huge problem and a few property owners allow me to shoot hogs on their land year-round, so long as I diminish the numbers or discourage their continued occupancy.

I looked at a Kahles 4-12x50 I think and liked it.  My concerns for the scope I get are these;

Can I crank in elevation for a 600 yard shot without getting lost on the turret.

Can I know that the scope will remain servicable for a long, long time.

As I said, my background is tactical scopes.  maybe I should stay with what I know.  Maybe I should go with a 30mm Swaro, or maybe I should get the 3018 IOR SH and know I have the durability and the reach.  or maybe I should just buy the S&B PM2 and I know that my scope will get it done and never be the limiting factor. 

in truth, a ranging reticle (so long as it iis accurate) might get it done and I do like Swaro's new reticle.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2007 at 20:58

RC, what about one of the Kahles CLs with the Multi-Zero feature?  Zero the turret at 5 different distances and you've got the long shots covered.  They are great scopes that won't cost as much as the high end tactical scopes, with optics that rivals anything.

What is your budget?

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2007 at 21:59

Budget is what it needs to be.  Reasonably, I can go up to about $2,800; but if I can get what works without spending it all, that's more money to spend elsewhere.

I want a great scope with really good glass and the adjustment range to get out to/past 1,000 yards.

I am beginning to think I should stay with tactical.  IOR, USO, or S&B.  I have no experience with benchrest scopes so was thinking that might be the way to go.  In the end, I can always go with what I know.

Everyone really likes the IORs.  if one can quickly become available with the the EREK-style elevation, it's a done deal.

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2007 at 09:15
seems like your going backwards here-- only difference between official "tactical" and precision long range is state sanction of the target. You seem to be hung up on hood ornaments, (erek, etc). Have you got the gun down? why not start there. For 2800 you could go a sendero in 300 and 1600 for a scope. If your going to do dial in rather than hold over you first concern is going to be the quality of the tracking and reticle. At precision ranges the rifle will the limiting factor not the scope. Get the swaro rangefinder 800-900 and wait for the Nikons to come out. (although a standard 6.5x20 monarch with fine cross hair and target turrets would work just fine, having done it thousands of times on much smaller pds)
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2007 at 09:36

You might want to look at Richard Franklins rifles that he builds for distance varmint shooting

http://www.richardscustomrifles.com/favoritevarmintrifles.ht m

I have copied some of his things and I love the mobile bench rest, since walking is difficult for me now, Richard builds some very accurate long range rifles in 300 WSM but there is about a 10 month wait. He favories Nightforce scopes for distance in bang for the buck in high end scopes

Duce.  

Duce
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2007 at 09:38

Very Nice Sako Dale

Duce

Duce

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2007 at 17:48

Sorry to confuse: the rifle is a "done deal," The $2,800 budget is for scope alone, no mounts, no base, just scope.

And I am not backtracking, I am trying to determine if there is any reason to move away from tactical scopes and toward bench scopes.  At this moment, as I see it, there is not.

And I like the EREK knob because you don't get lost on it.  And only a few scopes ahve zero stops - and I don't buy Leupold (and am not law enforcement or active military so can't get NightForce to do a zero stop.)

Maybe I should stick with what I know and love.  I've never broken a US Optics nor have I seen one die in person.  Or maybe I'l try IOR.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2007 at 18:34
RC, it sounds to me like you really want to try IOR, and I think one of their Tactical scopes with MP8 is an excellent choice.  It certainly fits the bill in all respects except the zero stop, and I believe you'd really love the MP8 reticle.  You could certainly do much worse.  I offered the Kahles Multizero only because something in your post led me to believe you were looking to simplify, steering more toward hunting scoes, and didn't really want to spend the asking price of the better tactical scopes.  The MultiZero turret has a user defined zero stop, and Kahles' optics are outstanding.  No, it doesn't have a ranging reticle option, but you can use a rangefinder.

Edited by RifleDude
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2007 at 23:02

Yea, I have considered Kahles; however, as you probably know, going from a 200 yard zero to a 600 yard shot is more enjoyable with a zero stop or a single-turn knob.

I still might consider the Kahles, but am indeed leaning towards the IOR.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2007 at 08:48
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Yea, I have considered Kahles; however, as you probably know, going from a 200 yard zero to a 600 yard shot is more enjoyable with a zero stop or a single-turn knob.

I still might consider the Kahles, but am indeed leaning towards the IOR.

As I understand the Multi-Zero turret option, it has the zero stop and single turn knob.

I still think maybe you'd be happier with the IOR though, just based on what I know about your scope preferences, and I do believe you'll love the MP8 reticle.

Ted

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic