OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Stupid question by a not-new guy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stupid question by a not-new guy
    Posted: August/19/2007 at 13:46

I've been around for awhile now and have come to respect the opinions I've found here (mostly) and have had great success with the recommendations I've been given.

So now I need something more.

I am setting up a 300WM for long-range shooting, paper punching mostly but maybe some long-range nuisance hunting (hogs really don't do well against 300 WMs - and if I wing one at 600 yards, I'm OK with that, as are the land owners for whom I shoot.)

So, what to buy?  My greatest experience is with tactical scopes which leads me toward Nightforce, US Optics, S&B, or IOR; however, this gun will not see hard-core field use and doesn't need to be ready to deploy.  I have some growing experience with hunting scopes.  I really (really) like my new Swaro American.

What route do I take?  There is really no need to go with high-end tactical, but it's what I know.  Can I save $1,000 and get something more benchrest-oriented and not lose glass quality and scope function?  Should I consider a nice, higher-end Swaro and skip the tactical thing altogether?  Should I buy a nice huge-bell Diavari?

Sorry to ask such an asinine question, but some here know my strengths and therefore my weaknesses - and hunting/benchrest optics are my weakness.

Thanx for any help or suggestions.  Especially interested in input from the evil 5 or whatever the hell they call you, you guys haven't lead me down a bad path yet. Yet!

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2007 at 17:39

RC,

Not a dumb question at all!  I'll share my opinion knowing that I'll gain some useful info from others who weigh in.

Personally, I'd give a serious look at IOR.  Also, take a look at the Meopta Meostar R1 4x16 44mm w/mildot.  I've used both of these scopes for the same applications you're looking to fill.  Both do very well with regard to tracking, glass quality, reticle selection, and reliability.  Best of all, both are cheaper than a Diavari, USO, S&B, etc.

If you decide you don't like either the IOR or Meostar, sell them on ebay or some other website.  You shouldn't take too big a beating on resale so long as they're still in good shape.

Just my $.02.  I'll be interested to read some additional feedback, too.

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2007 at 17:47

I agree with C on the 3-18x IOR.

That scope with the MP8 reticle should be a real performer for both target and hog killing duties.

And oh, be advised!! 

It's the "Gang of 5"........... 

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2007 at 11:04

IOR 35MM any model you prefer.

Edited by Trinidad
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2007 at 12:24

Rancid Lets face reality - you are a tactical guy and you know how to compensate for trajectory by dialing in the correction. Now for reality number 2 -- not every tactical scope has to be the expensive S&B mega dollar scope to kill effectively, some very reasonably priced tacticals do very well.  Which leads me to ask you if you own either a Super Sniper $299 scope in  10x ,  16x  or 20x  or an IOR  6x42

http://www.swfa.com/c-231-super-sniper-rifle-scopes.aspx

604230 IOR 6x42 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope                                                                                      IOR 6x42 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • MP-8
  • 30mm
  • Free 2.5" Sun Shade w/ Purchase
SWFA: $534.95
More Info... Buy Now

Both will save you LOTS of money and do exactly what you want plus they are tough as nails. For what you would spend on one nightforce you can have a super sniper in each power plus the IOR 6x. And dont let anyone tell you that the 20x cant be hunted because I've done it, yes it gets a little grey toward dark, but it will hunt just as long as there is legal light to hunt.   Those that hunt after that need the 6x42 IOR.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2007 at 17:57

I did own a SS 10x42 and liked it.  I took it off my main gun to put on the Nightforce which is, in my opinion, worth every penny of the difference.

In the end, I will probably go with the IOR 3-18. It will cost a few hundred less than the NightForce and will do what I need it to do.  I hear the glass is as good or almost and the zoom range is better than adequate for a 1,000 yard gun.

I like the SS but, at the end of the day, it always left me wanting a little more out of my scope.  Owning USO, Zeiss, etc; it is a lower-cost, lower-capabilities scope.  I like it allot and it is, without question, the best deal going; however, why get something tht will leave me wanting more when I can get more?

I wish the damned XOTIX would come out and I might go for that.  At the moment it's a race: XOTIX or IOR with EREK knobs: whichever I can get first, I will.

Thanx for the help.  There is truth in the post above, I could get a few SS and the IOR 6x, but I ain't swapping scopes on this rifle.

Edited by Rancid Coolaid
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2007 at 18:03
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

I wish the damnede XOTIX would come out and I might go for that. 

Great point. Hopefully we will get a Xotic update soon.

Emorse4487 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emorse4487 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2007 at 19:02

Forget my password, had to make a new account. When I saw this I figured I would throw in my 2 cents.

I am going to be the odd man out and say get the USO!! The SN-3 is an incredible scope in all of its variants. Although the IOR's are nice for the money, I really think the USO is in a league of it's own. The thing I like most about US Optics is their drive to give their customers what they want. They ask the end user what they want and give it to them, plain and simple. If you are running a custom rifle why not top it with a custom scope, built to your exacting specifications? 

Several changes were made after the testing performed by the US government and now the design is even stronger. I can guarentee that the US Military will be wearing USO's on their sniper weapon systems before long (USO-SWSS), it is only a matter of time before they review their contract with S&B and find they can get a better scope that is made right here in the US.

If you are happy with your Nightforce and Swaro, but are still yearning for more, an IOR probably isn't going to make you tingle down below. US Optics are nothing short of incredible, they get my pick any day. Check out snipers hide and sniper central for more intel on the SN-3.

Edit: You are going to have a hard time finding an EREK on an IOR. It is a proprietary US Optics design.

-Eric

Edited by Emorse4487

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2007 at 23:10

I own an SN-3 and agree completely - it is a great scope.  IOR is introducing a similar knob, not exactly an EREK, but close, and I'll be able to laser print it with BDC data fairly easily.

Better the evil I know or the evil I don't know?  I know the shortcomings of Ziess, Nightforce, USO, etc, (haven;t found one yet on the Swaro), why not expand my horizon and see if IOR is as good as others (whom I trust) say it is.

A USO, it is not, but with the extra $1,700, I can do many things.  And if the scope is 90% as good at 45% the price, that is value!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2007 at 22:45
Just got an email from the guy that my name is up on the list for the IOR SH.  I should have it soon and will let you know what I think.  I figure if I don't like it, I can sell it quick and get in the 10-week line for a USO.

Edited by Rancid Coolaid
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2007 at 22:56
Nice!
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2007 at 13:02

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
hunterco View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2007 at 18:31
I'm really interested in the Meostar for the money.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2007 at 21:52

That is precisely what the gun will be called upon to do.  But, the gun is custom, made for gret precision and accuracy, and I do not think a 6X will be enough at 600+ for small groups.

This will be a knock-around gun that has to be on target and has to be ready to shoot.  And at almost $2/round, I'd rather not miss.

I am certain the 6X IOR would have done 80% of what I wanted and needed, but I just sold a motorcycle and can either sink most of the funds into a rifle or will be forced to put the money into the bank account and risk it disappearing into new drapes or new shoes or maybe a new couch.  With $1,500 safely perched on my rifle, it won't be wasted on something stupid that the ladies really need.  Sure, I could get a $300 scope that does pretty well, but then my wife would convince herself that we really needed a few new pieces of fine bone china.

Problem: solved; crisis: overted!

Am I the only married man on this page?

Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2007 at 22:14

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2007 at 22:18

I may work a deal on the S&B.  It's at the top of what I can pay - and i do really like them.  I'd prefer to spend less, but not so much less that the wife can go shopping.  Another option is the Zeiss sniper on the sample list - don't know if it is pre-lotutec or not.  That will influence.

it's a fine line I walk.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic