OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Possible SS problem, any ideas?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote learjet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Possible SS problem, any ideas?
    Posted: August/19/2007 at 09:46

got a 10x SS less than a year ago new, after watching them perform well on a couple buddys guns. mounted mine on my SA m1a, w a sadlak mount and badgers. things were goin great! till the last time we went to our 1k range. after some dope gathering and load dev checking it was time for some fun. came up 10 moa and hit 2 bowling pins @ 500yd, up 14 more and hit a steel ram @ 800, up 10 more and missed a steel gong at 1k, but after a nice wind call by my buddy hit the gong w the next 2 shots. 34 moa total, using a lapua scenar / varget load my m1a likes

so... whats the problem ...

dailed the 34 back down, was gonna fire 1 round to recheck my zero, and dangit, the shot went 6'' low at 100yd. fired 5 more, nice group centered 6'' low

anyways , i blew it off, i was going to do a complete tear down and rebed the m1a after this trip anyway.

recently completed the bedding job and was able to shoot the rifle at 100yd only yesterday. groups were nothing special, fired some 175smk loads, that gave me a 1moa group, but 6''high and 3'' right at 100yd. so i dialed 3L and 6 down, and the next group showed up online horizontal, but dropped 8'' from the first group. i rechecked my measurements and click adjustments, and it seems i got 8MOA down when i dialed 6.

i can try this scope on another rifle, in fact a buddy wants a SS, and now im thinkin of putting it on his rifle(a rem788) to see if we have the same problem, before blaming the scope. scoping an m1a can be an exercise in frustration, and i dont want to blame the SS yet, esp when ive seen them pounded w 338 lapuas etc w nps. however ive been over the m1a carefully, and cant find anything loose on the mounts or rings, and it appears ive had the same problem both before and after the bedding job.

anyone got any ideas / things to try? ive tried sighting it on something and dialing up and down, but even my gun cleaning vise doesnt hold everything tight enough for me to draw any real conclusions. i dont have a boresighter, although i guess i can get one.

ty all!

great site

lear

Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2007 at 10:19

Are you sure you did not get the screws on the rear scope rings too tight? the torque should be 12 to 15 inch lb.

( not foot pounds ) I have made this mistake when not using a inch pound torque wrench. It will cause the reticle to bind and jump when you are twisting the dials. Just a thought

Duce

Duce
learjet View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote learjet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2007 at 10:26

havent retorqued them, but used 15in/lbs on rings, and 30 on bases

ty!

lear

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2007 at 10:42
What are you guys using for a torque wrench, Im still mounting my scopes by feel and would like to buy a torque wrench.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2007 at 10:51

I am using the Wheeler engineering Fat Wrench , its available for $40 from Midsouth shooters supply

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/

plus shipping or sportmans warehouse sometimes has them is stock for $ 50 

That wrench goes from 10 to 60 inch pounds

( remember never us a torque wrench to remove bolts screws etc it will foul up the calabration)

Duce 

Duce
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2007 at 10:54
Duce
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2007 at 13:27
Chris, you should consider carrying a few troque wrenches, a cheaper one and a really good one (not to say cheap ones aren't really good,  but they  aren't.)
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2007 at 12:41

I know Badger makes one but they were out when I was in Kansas City its about a $200 set.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2007 at 12:51

Warne makes one too just for scope rings also at

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/

The are some available in inch pounds digital here is wichita for aircraft start at $1800.00 if you want to go crazy on a torque wrench

Duce

Duce
bart View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2007 at 19:57
You don't need to spend $1800 on a torque wrench.  An impact type snap on is as good as you ever need, even for aircraft maintenance.  Honestly just calibrate your elbow and you should be fine.
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2007 at 15:23

Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Chris, you should consider carrying a few troque wrenches, a cheaper one and a really good one (not to say cheap ones aren't really good,  but they  aren't.)

Will do.

We use the Wheeler one here and it works great.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic